VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I finally got it working (with SGM, Bellatrix Orchestra, and Drums!). The difference between that, and that crappy Soundman Wave is like night and day. When BASSMIDI works, it works great! Like, the Jan Hammer soundtrack for Police Quest 3 sounds 85% less cheesy and 15% more badass. Space Quest 5 sounds awesome.

There are some misses, though. The Monkey Island 1 and 2 soundtracks sound like Peruvian Pan flutes, and the steel drums sound more like bongos.

And I've run into a snag with several sierra games. Like LSL5 and SQ1VGA, it insists I get the Sierra General Midi Utility to patch it. Well, I got the patch from the SierraHelp page, but i still can't that 4.PAT file to be recognized. It still throws that error about how I need to patch it, or the sound will be terrible.

One other thing I have a question about this:

Someone mentioned that using something called Vienna, you can change the instrument patches between soundfonts. Like, swapping the "trambone" of the Orchestra SF for the one in the SGM sf. Is that possible to do that in real-time during a game? Like, find a better sounding steel drum, and use it while playing Monkey Island, in place of that dang bongo noise? Or is that just a sequencer for making music?

Reply 1 of 3, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The patch files are specific to the games. They also have to be renamed to "4.PAT" for the game to recognize it.

Vienna is a SoundFont editor. You can download it from Creative.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 2 of 3, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
collector wrote:

The patch files are specific to the games. They also have to be renamed to "4.PAT" for the game to recognize it.

Vienna is a SoundFont editor. You can download it from Creative.

So basically, I'd have to edit soundfonts offline, then use them? It's not like I can create mapping between soundfonts, and use them on the fly, correct?

Sorry for all the questions, but if I don;t ask, I'll never know.

Reply 3 of 3, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not on the fly. You might be better off simply looking for an existing SoundFont that you like better. HammerSound used to have quite a few.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers