VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I always like to buy original copies of games when I can, but space and expense are issues as well. That's why I'm liking CD-ROM compilations of multiple titles (not necessarily shovelware) that were sold by themselves or bundled with hardware. If you're lucky, they might come with paper instruction manuals too. I recently bought the CD-ROM bundle that came with a Sound Blaster 16 kit. In addition to the SB utilities, it included a CD-ROM with full versions of the following titles:

Hong Kong Mahjong Pro (great game I loved from back in the day -- real mahjong, not the solitaire game)
Populous II
Seven Cities of Gold
Shadowcaster
Space Hulk
The Savage Empire
Ultima VII
Ultima Underword: The Stygian Abyss
Wing Commander Academy
Yeager's Air Combat

Not all winners, obviously, but some nice titles in there. I was especially happy to have so many Origin titles to use with my new MT-32. Plus, there is a bound manual that has instructions for each game.

So what are some of your favorite CD-ROM (or DVD-ROM) compilations or bundles of DOS/Win95/Win98 games that others might be able to find on eBay or elsewhere?

Last edited by boxpressed on 2014-07-07, 21:05. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 6, by tincup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
boxpressed wrote:

... I recently bought the CD-ROM bundle that came with a Sound Blaster 16 kit....

I think those are the exact same games that I got on a stand alone EA Compilation, which I bought on sale directly from EA.

Reply 4 of 6, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I recently bought the Interplay 10th Anniversary and 15th Anniversary anthologies. There's some good games there that would cost a lot of money to buy big box versions of like Wasteland and Fallout. The Lost Treasures of Infocom volumes 1 and 2 are worth buying if you can get them cheaply enough. Trying to buy those games individually in the grey boxes with all the pack ins will set you back a bundle. I also have one here called Take Five: The Entertainer that has Road and Track, Links, KQ V, Trump Castle and Dark Sun Shattered Lands. I bought it for Dark Sun and KQ V both of which can be expensive Big Box.

I also have Forgotten Realms Archives Silver Edition (Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades, Pools of Darkness, Gateway to the Savage Frontier, Treasures of the Savage Frontier, Hillsfar, Eye of the Beholder, Eye of the Beholder II, Eye of the Beholder III, Dungeon Hack, Menzoberranzan, Blood and Magic, and the Baldur's Gate interactive demo). Pretty much any cheap variety pack like that that has at least one moderately expensive game in it is worth getting if you're just looking a legal copy to play and not for collecting.

Reply 5 of 6, by dirkmirk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
boxpressed wrote:

I recently bought the CD-ROM bundle that came with a Sound Blaster 16 kit. In addition to the SB utilities, it included a CD-ROM with full versions of the following titles:

We bought a sounblaster 16 CD-ROM Kit with that compliation back in 1994 I believe, the Kit also contained another really good disk which you see on ebay with the blue background with yellow text, Pagan Ultima 8, Wing commander 2, Strike Commander & Syndicate which were the full versions and all their add-ons, it was an amazing deal back then for the $299 price, also had a bunch of multimedia titles like Encarta 94 some Dinosaurs CD etc.

Reply 6 of 6, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember, as a kid, wanting to buy The Lost Adventures of Legend. But nobody sold it, I believe it was a US only thing 😒

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel