Common searches

Few random questions

Topic actions

First post, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1. Does glass that can go dim/dark (as in not let light trough, more UV filtering) when electrically stimulated exist?
2. How dangerous are high power electro magnetic fields to humans? I know magnets push water, but the strength here needs to be enough to levitate around 1kg up to elbow length, an person would be standing above it. And in second condition, up to 150kg, person will be ontop of the object.
3. How much data would an 220 degrees 720p 24FPS camera use per day?
4. Is there a way, or a gas, to extinguish fire by removing oxygen?

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 2 of 23, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nah, I had an idea yesterday of an high tech/comfort apartment building.
I gave more thought to the glass thing. It would probably be better to make an layer behind it (on the inside) that would go dim/filter UV more when stimulated .

Reply 4 of 23, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1. Electrochromatic glass is a real thing, is that what you're wondering about?

2. I don't know about the magnets thing (humans can go into MRIs and come out alive, but I don't know if it would be harmful to "live" in the MRI) but I know there are magnetic beds that "float" on magnets.

3. A lot. But what kind of encoding/compression are you able to use? 720p for HDTV is usually around 3-4Mbit/s but content encoded more "richly" (like for HD-DVD) can be much higher.

4. You mean like Purple K or Halon?

Reply 5 of 23, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

1. Never looked into this myself so I have no idea.

2. From what you've described you're probably better off using omni-directional wheel-based systems to roll over the ground along sensor tracks embedded in or under the floor for devices to guide themselves along. For anything travelling along the ceiling, have ceiling rails. Using maglev for this kind of thing would require stupidly huge amounts of power and would still be restricted to rail-like envrionments anyways, since if you free-floated something entirely you'd have to have precision control over the amount of electromagnetic power being applied in order to maintain a constant altitude in the face of changing weight due someone climbing onto or off of something, or even just removing or adding stuff to a tray, plus there'd be zero friction to hold such a thing stationary.

3. Degrees is irrelevant as you can alter aspect ratios. Standard 1280x720 resolution for 16:9 720p, regardless of framerate, is typically encoded with compression codecs running 4 Mb/sec. So an entire day's worth of footage would be (4 x 60 x 60 x 24) / 8 = 43,200 MB, which is about 42 GB. Uncompressed at 24-bit colour per frame at 24 FPS, you'd have 1280 x 720 x 24 x (24 / 8) x 60 x 60 x 24 = 5.214 TB

Naturally, you can use lower bitrate compression to consume less memory.

4. Turning the environment in a room into a vacuum to put out a fire would require the room to be air-tight to begin with, but at the same time anyone else in the room would be exposed to that and would likely be killed or severely injured by the pressure change. Star Trek TNG's idea of using forcefields to contain a fire is a lot more plausible since we actually already have forcefield technology* in the sense of being able to separate two similar envrionments without a physical wall between them, though it's been a long time since I last looked into it so I have no idea how far that technology has progressed. As for replacing the oxygen in the room with a gas that doesn't burn as readily, the same problem comes into play that anyone else in the same room is going to suffocate from the lack of oxygen and, if they survive, may be poisoned by overexposure to whatever gas the oxygen is replaced with.

* EDIT: Just did a bit of searching and the information I originally read about this and the video clips I saw over a decade ago don't seem to exist anymore and everyone says it's just a speculative technology so... could've been totally false stuff that got paraded around as fact at the time. That happened with TONS of things back around the turn of the century. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 6 of 23, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
obobskivich wrote:

1. Electrochromatic glass is a real thing, is that what you're wondering about?

Cool, yeah this seems to be it. I know there exist welding masks with certain types of crystal that moves as very bright light is emitted, blocking it.
So i thought that there has to be something that works electrically.
I thought of this because if the flat is directly in front of the sun, since i imagine it with large windows, i wouldn't want all of the light to enter the flat, but for UV to be more blocked than when the sun is on the opposite side.

obobskivich wrote:

2. I don't know about the magnets thing (humans can go into MRIs and come out alive, but I don't know if it would be harmful to "live" in the MRI) but I know there are magnetic beds that "float" on magnets.

I heard of magnetic beds, and i saw something about magnetic levitating computer mouse. What i originally thought off was - is there a simple way to do the same with a keyboard or touch panel? Simply place it in front of your self and it stays there as much as you need it to. But than because the user will also be standing there if there is harm from such magnetic fields he might get injured.

obobskivich wrote:

4. You mean like Purple K or Halon?

Maybe, i know there exist certain gases that extinguish fire very easily. Which are also very toxic to humans.

--

Gemini000 wrote:

2. From what you've described you're probably better off using omni-directional wheel-based systems to roll over the ground along sensor tracks embedded in or under the floor for devices to guide themselves along. For anything travelling along the ceiling, have ceiling rails. Using maglev for this kind of thing would require stupidly huge amounts of power and would still be restricted to rail-like envrionments anyways, since if you free-floated something entirely you'd have to have precision control over the amount of electromagnetic power being applied in order to maintain a constant altitude in the face of changing weight due someone climbing onto or off of something, or even just removing or adding stuff to a tray, plus there'd be zero friction to hold such a thing stationary.

Yeah, i understand it would take a lot of power to do, thats why i imagined it only for an PDA or input device such as keyboard (same thing i wrote to Obobskivich).
Rails seem too easy to mess up and expensive to take care off for moving things. I guess its better for them to be stationary and only certain things like doors to be on rails.

Gemini000 wrote:

3. Degrees is irrelevant as you can alter aspect ratios. Standard 1280x720 resolution for 16:9 720p, regardless of framerate, is typically encoded with compression codecs running 4 Mb/sec. So an entire day's worth of footage would be (4 x 60 x 60 x 24) / 8 = 43,200 MB, which is about 42 GB. Uncompressed at 24-bit colour per frame at 24 FPS, you'd have 1280 x 720 x 24 x (24 / 😎 x 60 x 60 x 24 = 5.214 TB

Naturally, you can use lower bitrate compression to consume less memory.

I said 220 degrees because i thought of an wide angle celling camera that serves in computer aided house analyzing. Since i wouldn't want it to simply record whats going on, but be intelligent and only record certain things, for example if it detects a fire somewhere to keep that part of the footage as to where it originated and what happened. Also for other things like detecting certain things that are not as they should be.

Gemini000 wrote:

4. Turning the environment in a room into a vacuum to put out a fire would require the room to be air-tight to begin with, but at the same time anyone else in the room would be exposed to that and would likely be killed or severely injured by the pressure change. Star Trek TNG's idea of using forcefields to contain a fire is a lot more plausible since we actually already have forcefield technology in the sense of being able to separate two similar envrionments without a physical wall between them, though it's been a long time since I last looked into it so I have no idea how far that technology has progressed. As for replacing the oxygen in the room with a gas that doesn't burn as readily, the same problem comes into play that anyone else in the same room is going to suffocate from the lack of oxygen and, if they survive, may be poisoned by overexposure to whatever gas the oxygen is replaced with.

The original plan was not for living quarters but for other parts of the structure where computers/data cables would be stored. More like a spinal cord of it all.
Since i imagined it as a high story building having damage there would be fatal for every one, and i saw that specialized server rooms use a certain gas to put out fires (also some ultra cool old IBM hard drives).

Reply 7 of 23, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stojke wrote:
1. Does glass that can go dim/dark (as in not let light trough, more UV filtering) when electrically stimulated exist? 2. How da […]
Show full quote

1. Does glass that can go dim/dark (as in not let light trough, more UV filtering) when electrically stimulated exist?
2. How dangerous are high power electro magnetic fields to humans? I know magnets push water, but the strength here needs to be enough to levitate around 1kg up to elbow length, an person would be standing above it. And in second condition, up to 150kg, person will be ontop of the object.

1. This has been answered sufficiently. You could also use plain old LCD tech.

2. There is no real science suggesting magnetic fields influence human bodies. The example of MRI machines has been mentioned. A bigger risk with strong magnets is a crush injury if something goes wrong.

3. Resolution, frame rate, and FOV are irrelevant for compressed video where size is simply a function of time and bitrate. For uncompressed video: X * Y * (BPP / 😎 * FPS * TIME

4. Yes, it's called CO2.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 9 of 23, by idspispopd

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The most dangerous thing about strong magnets are probably objects containing iron. If you go into a MRI machine you must remove all metallic objects, even a small coin can injure you.

Reply 11 of 23, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Stojke wrote:
1. Does glass that can go dim/dark (as in not let light trough, more UV filtering) when electrically stimulated exist? 2. How da […]
Show full quote

1) Absolutely they exist. Piezoelectric privacy glass, IIRC.
2) High power EMI fields *can* be dangerous. To give you an example, some of the Pro WiFi gear I've had to install (multi-watt Tx output, with a narrow beamwidth to carry signal 5 miles to the receiving station) is NOT something you want to stand in front of ( or get your head in the way of ), when powered on. You won't get electricuted, per se, but I bet you'll have a neat new tumor later on. Oh, and DON'T google electrical flash surges, if you don't want nightmares, or intend on eating anytime soon. *shudder*
3) Determine how the size of each frame, then multiply by 24 (FPS) and multiply again by how many minutes per day it's running.
4) Yes, it's called HALON. works great, but you'll need a rescue air supply (small tank and face mask) nearby.

Reply 12 of 23, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
idspispopd wrote:

The most dangerous thing about strong magnets are probably objects containing iron. If you go into a MRI machine you must remove all metallic objects, even a small coin can injure you.

I have a *tiny* shard of carbon steel in one eye (from welding). It's so small, I didn't know it was there, until my eye doctor spotted it during a routine checkup. No more MRIs for me. It would rip it clean out of my eye, if I was even in the same room as a powered on MRI machine

Reply 13 of 23, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ElectricMonk wrote:

2) High power EMI fields *can* be dangerous. To give you an example, some of the Pro WiFi gear I've had to install (multi-watt Tx output, with a narrow beamwidth to carry signal 5 miles to the receiving station) is NOT something you want to stand in front of ( or get your head in the way of ), when powered on. You won't get electricuted, per se, but I bet you'll have a neat new tumor later on.

What is your basis for this conlusion? Non-ionizing radiation does not somehow become more dangerous if you up the intensity.

Oh, and DON'T google electrical flash surges, if you don't want nightmares, or intend on eating anytime soon. *shudder*

2zsz7g7.png
😕

Reply 14 of 23, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

What is your basis for this conlusion? Non-ionizing radiation does not somehow become more dangerous if you up the intensity.

So you what you're saying is that it's okay to stand directly in front of a 5GHz microwave radio transmitting at 10 Watts (not milliwatts), and not expect at least a tumor in exchange? Mkay... I never said it would straight up kill you immediately (even highpower X-band radar doesn't do that), but it isn't the brightest thing in the world to do. And I sure wouldn't want to stand directly in front of a powered on Multi-Megawatt radio antenna at close range, either.

Oh, and to give you an example of how overly amplified EMF can mess with your body, one time at work, we got bored and built the uber cantenna. We built a standard cantenna with a 2.4Ghz yagi, and the proceeded to conenct that antenna to as many one watt amplifiers that we could. The guy who held it got some wicked blowback from the rear of the antenna, and in effect microwaved the skin on that hand. He had some pretty nasty blisters the next day. (Remember, 2.4GHz WiFi is in the same EM range as your home microwave, and those signals excite water molecules, which heat up food/meat).

Jorpho wrote:

😕

I should've said ARC flash surges. It was something we had to be shown in OHSA classes.Here's a mild video out what it looks like. There are videos and pictures out there that will give you nightmares. I've personally seen one occur in an area I was working in (I was installing Ethernet First Mile gear), when an arc surge happened while some electricians were working 80ft away. Scared the pee out of me, and fried the F out of the poor sod at ground zero. Never want to see that happen again.

Reply 15 of 23, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ElectricMonk wrote:

The guy who held it got some wicked blowback from the rear of the antenna, and in effect microwaved the skin on that hand. He had some pretty nasty blisters the next day. (Remember, 2.4GHz WiFi is in the same EM range as your home microwave, and those signals excite water molecules).

Well, sure, one could just as easily bring up the Active Denial System. You wouldn't be using it to levitate materials as in the OP, however.

There are videos and pictures out there that will give you nightmares.

That may be, but there's exactly one that turns up in a search for <arc flash surges>.

Reply 16 of 23, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

Well, sure, one could just as easily bring up the Active Denial System. You wouldn't be using it to levitate materials as in the OP, however.

Except you were wanting know "What is your basis for this conlusion? Non-ionizing radiation does not somehow become more dangerous if you up the intensity"
, and I was giving you examples from first hand knowledge. Neither of us were discussing levitation.

Jorpho wrote:

There are videos and pictures out there that will give you nightmares.

That may be, but there's exactly one that turns up in a search for <arc flash surges>.

OH REALLY?

WRrZlQO.jpg

IS THAT A FACT, NOW?

j3vcACD.png

Look, I don't care if you can't be bothered to look, but DON'T lie to me. I found tons of examples in literally 5 seconds. 😠

Reply 18 of 23, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

"nightmares"? I think that looks awesome! 😁

Truth be told, it's far from awesome in person. Turn "Safe Search" off for GIS, and also search Liveleaks, Rotten.com, and whatever replaced ogrish. Believe me when I say that some things just can't be unseen.

Like the "remnants" ( more like spatter) of that USAF crewman that commited suicide by ejection seat in the hangar. I really wish my guide hadn't pointed that out. 😢