Topic actions

Reply 20 of 27, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SpooferJahk wrote:
obobskivich wrote:

Doesn't the Halo 2 PC work on newer-than-Vista? (isn't it "Vista exclusive" solely because it requires DX10?)

Have a copy and it works fantastically on Windows 7, just need to install an updated GFWL client for it to function though.

Is GFWL as bad as people say it is?

Reply 21 of 27, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:
SpooferJahk wrote:
obobskivich wrote:

Doesn't the Halo 2 PC work on newer-than-Vista? (isn't it "Vista exclusive" solely because it requires DX10?)

Have a copy and it works fantastically on Windows 7, just need to install an updated GFWL client for it to function though.

Considering how I am using black magic to run it without having to activate it on GFWL, (Limited activations, not going to stand for that!) it's not TOO bad when utilizing offline mode. You are only missing out on achievements and the pretty much dead multiplayer, but aside from that it works pretty well.

Reply 23 of 27, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Cool. Does it have LAN support?

Can't say since I can't find anyone in my group of peers willing to test multiplayer with me. It might if you use the black magic, but again take that with a grain of salt.

Reply 24 of 27, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Depends on the game IME. For example Fallout 3 has it, and honestly most people have probably never even noticed it - unless you specifically go into the menu and enable it and log-in, the game just plods along like it isn't there. It can cause some confusion if you've never used it with the game, but purchased your DLCs through it (especially the first one, which was only available through GFWL for a while) as it will install them in a different location that is inaccessible to the game unless you're connecting to GFWL in-game (you can just move the files to the normal Fallout 3/Data/ folder and they work - they aren't "keyed" to the GFWL service like Mass Effect DLCs to Bioware Social Net). There are mods that completely disable GFWL in Fallout 3, and I've noticed no problems with the game having done that (unless you wanted achievements) - the benefit is that the game starts a little faster.

On the other hand, you have BioShock 2 that's entirely unplayable due to GFWL (especially if the game is purchased on Steam, as Steam's UI will conflict with GFWL). I'm not sure if there's a mod to remove GFWL in BioShock 2 (I'm doubting there is, since it's part of the game's ridiculous DRM). Probably isn't a surprise to most folks though - the first game's DRM was equally absurd.

Reply 25 of 27, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
obobskivich wrote:
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Depends on the game IME. For example Fallout 3 has it, and honestly most people have probably never even noticed it - unless you specifically go into the menu and enable it and log-in, the game just plods along like it isn't there. It can cause some confusion if you've never used it with the game, but purchased your DLCs through it (especially the first one, which was only available through GFWL for a while) as it will install them in a different location that is inaccessible to the game unless you're connecting to GFWL in-game (you can just move the files to the normal Fallout 3/Data/ folder and they work - they aren't "keyed" to the GFWL service like Mass Effect DLCs to Bioware Social Net). There are mods that completely disable GFWL in Fallout 3, and I've noticed no problems with the game having done that (unless you wanted achievements) - the benefit is that the game starts a little faster.

On the other hand, you have BioShock 2 that's entirely unplayable due to GFWL (especially if the game is purchased on Steam, as Steam's UI will conflict with GFWL). I'm not sure if there's a mod to remove GFWL in BioShock 2 (I'm doubting there is, since it's part of the game's ridiculous DRM). Probably isn't a surprise to most folks though - the first game's DRM was equally absurd.

Well you can go to the dark side and crack BioShock 2, but that doesn't really fall under the category of a mod. 😜

Reply 26 of 27, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SpooferJahk wrote:

Well you can go to the dark side and crack BioShock 2, but that doesn't really fall under the category of a mod. 😜

Don't you love it when you've legally purchased a game, and still have to crack it just to get it to play correctly? 🤣

Makes such a strong case for buying software instead of pirating/cracking it... 😵

Reply 27 of 27, by SpooferJahk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
obobskivich wrote:
SpooferJahk wrote:

Don't you love it when you've legally purchased a game, and still have to crack it just to get it to play correctly? 🤣

Makes such a strong case for buying software instead of pirating/cracking it... 😵

Funny thing is that personally I am okay with that, well on the idea of being able to do it, not on the principle of being forced to do it.