VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by fnoo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there! As of this morning, RSD Game-Maker has gone open source. Here is the source code to version 3.0, as distributed on GitHub. Right now it's early days for the project, and specific goals have yet to be defined. Here is the code to explore, though!

https://github.com/gandrewstone/GameMaker

Reply 1 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Holy crap! Thanks for the heads up. Maybe this thing could finally get fixed, control and physics-wise and lead to a polished engine to run all the released RSD Gamemaker games out there 😜

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 7, by fnoo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There's a bunch of potential! As eccentric as the game engine may be, the design environment is really great to play around in. If it could be updated and expanded in a sensible way, this could turn into something pretty cool.

Reply 3 of 7, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh wow... :O

...yes, I actually am aware of this thing as I played around with it a bunch back when I was a teen as my 2000 shareware games CD has an illegit copy on it. I made a couple games with it but they've long since been lost to the stretches of time as it was before my website existed... if I'm REALLY lucky, those games may still exist on one of my older systems, but my hopes aren't high. :P

I remember trying to read up on this thing at one point and discovered that the thing was pirated like crazy back in the day and given the very unusual licensing requirements for games made with it this didn't surprise me.

I've actually always wanted to make my own user-friendly GCS, but the time and effort required is substantial and the payoff is minimal. In fact, the only way to make money with a GCS nowadays is to ensure that you have a MASSIVE amount of features without being overcomplicated, or have one that's very unique in some way that helps set it apart from everything else out there. Part of the reason why Megazeux and ZZT have survived all this time. :B

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 4 of 7, by fnoo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, I've always been fond of Game-Maker. It's a weird system, no doubt, but designing a game in this feels somewhere between snapping together Lego bricks and fiddling with the level editors in Lode Runner and Excitebike. Except it's for a full game.

I think that game-like tone to the design process is something sorely lacking in other GCSes I've toyed with. It's just no fun to use most of them! It's like they're more focused on the destination than the journey -- which is kind of a turn-off to me.

Just a little while ago I began to whip together a simple game for my daughter. It's a little too hard, though, so I'm going to insert some early stuff to shallow out the curve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hk3jkyQU0M

Gemini, if you ever track down your games I'd love to take a look at 'em!

Reply 5 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I do want to try to use Gamemaker to make a 'trainwreck' 😀

since when you're good at designing it becomes hard to be genuinely bad, gemini should know what I mean. I'm not being arrogant here, my games aren't perfect at all.

the "Ray2x" games were supposed to be bad bad BAD games, but i was complimented by another (senior!) contract developer that they have good enough gameplay to survive in the mobile market 😖

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 7, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

since when you're good at designing it becomes hard to be genuinely bad, gemini should know what I mean.

Yeah... except I wasn't that great a designer half of my life ago when I was using Game-Maker since my experience by that point was only 5 years and mostly with BASIC. ;D

Sometimes it's fun to just take a break from making one's primary project to spend a tiny amount of time making something stupid! ...and even then it usually doesn't turn out so bad. :B

Last time I did something like that was a few years ago. I found the source code I printed to the very first RPG I made back around 1993 called the "Dragon Warrior Test Game". I decided to spend just one day rewriting the thing from scratch with ASCII-art monsters and such and ended up with this: http://www.pixelships.com/random/dwtest.zip

Should run fine in DOSBox and also includes QuickBASIC source code. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg