VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So what music do you guys typically play in the background while your working on your computers?

Personally I usually play some 80's synth music. Usually Jean Michel Jarre's Equinoxe or some Vangelis (either the Blade Runner soundtrack or Spiral) or if I'm in a particularily weird mood some Tangerine Dream (Sound track for Theif, Sorcerer or Logos 1 & 2) but lately I've rediscovered Gary Numan and have been listening to songs like "Are Friends Electric?" and "Down In The Park". 🤣

Last edited by King_Corduroy on 2014-07-13, 21:58. Edited 1 time in total.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1 of 49, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't just listened to music in a long time, but I do like 80s synth pop and metal.
And before the local jazz station switched formats, I used to listen to that
from time to time. I also like classic rock but am starting to get a bit sick of it.
I like newer stuff, but I wish someone would shoot the guy that invented Autotune.

Reply 2 of 49, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WYmPgMagtU

I like listening to depressing songs like such... Though what do you mean by "working".. Working on computers as in assembling\changing\repairing things hardware wise or actually doing software programming or some sort of design art\modeling\whatever?

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 3 of 49, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Internet radios: http://www.rockradio1.com or https://www.radionomy.com/en/radio/commodexplorer/index#

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 49, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@snorg Lol I quite agree the auto tune crap is annoying but I also can't stand any of this modern pop at all. Most of the rest of the time I just listen to 60's psych bands like Strawberry Alarmclock or 60's smooth jazz like Dexter Gordon or Grant Green.

Reply 5 of 49, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DracoNihil wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WYmPgMagtU

I like listening to depressing songs like such... Though what do you mean by "working".. Working on computers as in assembling\changing\repairing things hardware wise or actually doing software programming or some sort of design art\modeling\whatever?

Anything really. I mean I usually listen to Vangelis when I'm balancing my checkbook in excel so I guess I meant any computer "work". 🤣
Seriously though I was more talking testing equipment and working on your retro systems. 😜

Reply 6 of 49, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well I have a retro system playing back tracker music constantly in my family's house while I experiment with MS-DOS 6.22 in VBox. I have a bit of a obsession of wanting to use the original trackers (whenever feasible) when playing back modules.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 7 of 49, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My Internet provider (iinet) has unmetered (we still have download limits during the day and off peak) radio stations. I like to listen to chill out radio stations such as Space Station Soma.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 49, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I usually listen to good old rock when I work on electronics. Currently listening to Baby Boomerang by T. Rex.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 9 of 49, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know, some modern stuff is ok but I can't think of anything offhand so maybe I've contradicted
myself.

Oh wait...I do like Leroux a bit and St. Vincent is pretty good also.
Not an artist I thought I'd like but grew on me.

I also like Joe Satriani, his guitar instrumentals are amazing.

Reply 11 of 49, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ATM the only one I can recall distinctly listening to is the whole soundtrack to Flashdance while working on my 486 back when I had a tape deck hooked up to serve as my bedroom music player...

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 12 of 49, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Firtasik wrote:

Well, various stuff.

Right now I'm listening to Musick to Play in the Dark, Vol. 1 by Coil.

Sort of off-topic, but is that Nivek Ogre in your avatar? It looks like one of the getups he uses when performing live.

But anyway, If I am listening to anything, I usually just listen to whatever it is I'm into at the time. I find industrial and other electronic genres to be well suited to it, however. Particularly, I like 80s and early 90s EBM.

Reply 13 of 49, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Chiptunes, tracker music, MIDI music (mostly from games).

Right now I'm listening to my YM tunes collection. Very nice 😀

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 14 of 49, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I prefer the music of silence. Even when I'm gaming, if there is an option to turn off the sound, in most cases I will use it (unless it's a game with really cool sounds like the many fabulous quotes from the Duke Nukem games). 🤣

Reply 15 of 49, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

Sort of off-topic, but is that Nivek Ogre in your avatar? It looks like one of the getups he uses when performing live.

Yes, it's from the Ain't It Dead Yet? video. 😀

11 1 111 11 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 111 1 111 1 1 1 1 111

Reply 16 of 49, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Metal, Rock, Tracker Music and 80's synth mostly. I also like trance and techno occasionally, I have Paul Oakenfold's entire discography on my HDD.

I'm a big fan of Com Truise, he has released 7 compilations for free, called Komputer Cast, which is basically music compiled and best used when doing programming 😀.

Reply 17 of 49, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DracoNihil wrote:

Well I have a retro system playing back tracker music constantly in my family's house while I experiment with MS-DOS 6.22 in VBox. I have a bit of a obsession of wanting to use the original trackers (whenever feasible) when playing back modules.

F2bnp wrote:

Metal, Rock, Tracker Music and 80's synth mostly. I also like trance and techno occasionally, I have Paul Oakenfold's entire discography on my HDD.

I'm a big fan of Com Truise, he has released 7 compilations for free, called Komputer Cast, which is basically music compiled and best used when doing programming 😀.

What are your favourite modules? I downloaded some from modarchive, but it's usually hit and miss. What sound equipment do you use for playback? Is it Sound Blaster or Covox?

Reply 18 of 49, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I usually just turn the radio on to a rock station while working on hardware (e.g. building a machine, cleaning a machine, etc), but when actually using a system I'll either do net radio/streaming of whatever or listen to my library of traditional pop, rock, and assorted electronica (mostly depending on which computer I'm at - I don't have the entire library on my laptop, for example). Alternately I'll have the TV on in the background. 😊

Reply 19 of 49, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
F2bnp wrote:

Yeah I like the whole Retrowave / Outrun genre too although I must say Com Truise never did it for me. Personally I like Sellorekt / LA Dreams or Droid Bishop when it comes to that genre.

Droid Bishop :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm-AtSz628k

Sellorekt / LA Dreams:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIlQs6wxnuI (Wait until 1:25 then the real song starts)