VOGONS

Common searches

486 four-eighty-six or four-eight-six?

Topic actions

First post, by Soupdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I called them four-eight-six growing up when they were current tech. Everyone I knew also called them that. Now I watch youtube and listen to retro podcasts I see some call them four-eighty-six which sounds odd to me. How about everyone else?

Steam | World of Warcraft

Reply 8 of 97, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Τέσσερα ογδωνταέξι definitely here, which means 4-80-6. 😉

1. Athlon XP 3200+ | ASUS A7V600 | Radeon 9500 @ Pro | SB Audigy 2 ZS | 80GB IDE, 500GB SSD IDE2Sata, 2x1TB HDDs | Win 98SE, XP, Vista
2. Pentium MMX 266| Qdi Titanium IIIB | Hercules graphics & Amber monitor | 1 + 10GB HDDs | DOS 6.22, Win 3.1, 95C

Reply 10 of 97, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

"Eighty four eighty six". 🤣 Well, that's what it is officially. I usually just call it a "four eighty six".

By the way, what is the proper way of pronouncing 68000? "Sixty eight thousand" seems like the most obvious thing, except that supposedly it's supposed to be pronounced "sixty eight oh oh oh" or something. 😜

Reply 11 of 97, by 133MHz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In Latin American Spanish it's 'cuatro ocho seis' (four eight six). As a kid I used to say 'cuatro ochenta y seis' (four eighty six) which lead to some weird stares. Since I learned computing from magazines and readme files (and those didn't come with pronunciation guides!) I pronounced many things wrong, leading to some slightly awkward situations when discussing or buying my first computer hardware.

http://133FSB.wordpress.com

Reply 13 of 97, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

By the way, what is the proper way of pronouncing 68000? "Sixty eight thousand" seems like the most obvious thing, except that supposedly it's supposed to be pronounced "sixty eight oh oh oh" or something. 😜

I call it the sixty-eight-kay. I don't think I've ever tried to talk about more specific ones in conversation. I guess I'd go for sixty-eight-oh-forty?

Reply 14 of 97, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jwt27 wrote:

We say "four-six-and-eighty" over here. Doesn't make much sense in English.

Just like in German. Ein vier - sechs - und - achtziger. So weird.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 15 of 97, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:

I call it the sixty-eight-kay. I don't think I've ever tried to talk about more specific ones in conversation. I guess I'd go for sixty-eight-oh-forty?

Same here - "68k" (I've seen it referenced in literature as such too). For specific ones I'm equally unsure - sixty-eight-oh-forty or sixty-eight-aught-forty seem most reasonable to me as well though. 😊

Reply 17 of 97, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Wikipedia wrote:

The Intel 80486 ("eighty-four-eighty-six"), also known as the Intel486, i486, or just 486 ("four-eighty-six" or "four-eight-six")

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_80486

Also, interviews with Intel engineers pronounced it as eighty.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 18 of 97, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Четыреста восемьдесят шесть. Four hundred eighty six. That's how we say it!

Four six and eighty - that's how it would sound in Westeros 😁

Reply 19 of 97, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I say four-eight-six out of habit, but I acknowledge the incorrectness of that.

It comes from the 8080 being the eighty-eighty, right?

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread