Common searches

486 four-eighty-six or four-eight-six?

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 97, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember watching a lot of computer commercials in the early 90s, and it was always three/four eighty six. Even the IBM OS/2 and Intel commercials. Everybody in Canada said four eighty six. The only place I ever occasionally heard "four eight six" was in Missouri, where people also called Linux "Line ux" and BIOS as "Bye Ohs".

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 61 of 97, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wait, how do you pronounce BIOS? Because I live in Illinois and I call it Bye-ohs and that's the only way I've ever heard it pronounced.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 64 of 97, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

"Eighty four eighty six". 🤣 Well, that's what it is officially. I usually just call it a "four eighty six".

By the way, what is the proper way of pronouncing 68000? "Sixty eight thousand" seems like the most obvious thing, except that supposedly it's supposed to be pronounced "sixty eight oh oh oh" or something. 😜

68K for the original, and 010,020,030,0 and 040

and MIPS are always R[some number]

back on topic, I call it 486. But I always pronounce the full 8086 and 8088.

Reply 65 of 97, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

I usually pronounce BIOS "bye-oss".

Another vote for bye-oss.

Anybody else who always pronouces Giga as Jigga? "that chip run a t 3 jiggahertz". I've had more than a few people insist they are correct.

So I start immediately mispronoucing everything, or emphasizing the wrong word in a sentence, and they usually take the hint.

Reply 67 of 97, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Nope.

though early, EARLY on in my life I used to pronounce DOS as "dose"

When my ex-wife and I split up, I got stuck with a LeSabre that looked like a grandpa-mobile. So if any would ask what I drove, I pronounce it "Les Sah Bre", in my best french accent.

Thank gawd that idiot totalled my car, and I got a big enough insurance check to buy a Mazda 3 aka "The Blueberry" 😀

Reply 68 of 97, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I checked Wikipedia, and it says "bye oss"(/ˈbaɪ.ɒs/)). However, for the final word we should listen to how Gary Kildall (the inventor) pronounced it. Maybe the Computer Chronicles would be a good place to check.

When I lived in Missouri, there was also this retarded trend where everyone would intentionally change the short "a" sound in words to sound like a short "o", I guess because it makes English words sound more like French or Italian. I retaliated by changing all the short o sounds to short a sounds...it really pissed people off.

Reply 69 of 97, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I love that show. It's sad more people don't know about Gary Kildall, he pioneered so much stuff that we now take for granted. He is almost like the tesla of the computer revolution. Also he had a cool suitcase computer way back in the early 80's. 🤣

Reply 73 of 97, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Gary Kildall was pretty awesome. I don't know why useless turds like Gates and Jobs get all the attention and people who actually did the hard work get very little recognition. I personally don't believe the story that Kildall blew off the IBM suits.

Reply 74 of 97, by TELEPACMAN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Anonymous Coward wrote:

Gary Kildall was pretty awesome. I don't know why useless turds like Gates and Jobs get all the attention and people who actually did the hard work get very little recognition. I personally don't believe the story that Kildall blew off the IBM suits.

Was watching discovery or history channel and amongst einstein, isaac newton, ramajan, etc, were those two. Gates and Jobs. The show was about human inteligence, not about capitalism. wtf?

Reply 75 of 97, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why not throw John D. Rockefeller in there then? His total net worth adjusted for inflation ($340B) was more than those two combined.

Reply 76 of 97, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No I don't think Gary blew off IBM either.
@telepacman Sadly it's the people who have the most money that get the immediate fame, I mean think of Tesla and Edison. Edison was a shrewd business man and Tesla was a genius inventor. Edison became rich and soon the world knew his name, Tesla only just recently was recognized as the genius he was. Sadly this is true of the brilliant people of our time too, Gary Kildall has faded away from the public eye almost entirely now while Gates and Jobs are house hold names. 🙁

Reply 79 of 97, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nobody called it a "four eighty sucks"?