VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by AlphaDangerDen

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bit of a random question, but do any of you think it'd still be possible to dial into a BBS (if any still exist) as of 2014? When I ask that, I'm talking about using an old-school PC (MS-DOS, Win3.1/9x, etc.) and dialing in with a real dial-up modem into an BBS. If it's still possible, I'd honestly love to try it 😎

What do you think?

Reply 1 of 5, by Arlo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The same person I posted about in the other thread, who told me he paid $60 a month to have telnet requests to a domain name forwarded to his static IP address, said that his BBS software still supported actual call-ins, but he didn't have it set up because almost no one does it. At one point, he even had me try dialing in that way just to try it, because we both had a nostalgia for the old BBS days. It didn't work, but it was just because of something that he didn't plug in right or something, and he said he could easily get it to work but we never bothered.

It definitely should be possible, provided you still have the modem and the software to run it. I can't say whether DOSBox would actually emulate signals to a modem. I would assume that wouldn't be emulated, but I could be wrong. But if you've got the old PC lying around, then it should surely be possible. From what I gather, there are very few people still running BBSes this way, and the few BBSes still running seem to be Telnet based. But I wouldn't be surprised if there are still people out there who have the nostalgia for it and would love to do it. It's just a matter of finding one that's local to your area so you don't end up paying huge long distance fees.

I'm not sure what the point of that is, though. The Telnet BBSes all looked pretty much the same as the old BBSes to me.

Reply 2 of 5, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think it should work if you're dialing into something that's still connected via a modem (as Arlo explains), and if you're connected via a real phone-line (I've read that VOIP tends not to handle modem connectivity very well, but I've never had a reason to personally test that).

Reply 3 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Arlo wrote:

I can't say whether DOSBox would actually emulate signals to a modem.

DOSBox supports serial port passthrough, so in theory you could use it with a physical modem, though of course this is beyond the scope of normal DOSBox operation. You can also use a communications terminal running in DOSBox to communicate with BBS software running in DOSBox elsewhere on the Internet, though again, that is not particularly supported.

There is also a Linux program called mgetty which can apparently be used to forward an incoming phone call on a modem to a Telnet session.

Reply 4 of 5, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I went through a similar exercise about a year ago. As far as active, dial-up-capable BBSes go, the TelnetBBSGuide maintained an updated list up until a few months ago. I'm not sure if they've discontinued it for good, but here is a capture as of April, 2014:

============================================================================
Modem BBS Name City ST Software TELNET
206-386-4199 Seattle Community Network Seattle WA Unix #
214-987-2135 Eclectic BBS Univ. Park TX TriBBS
256-886-7616 Sursum Corda! BBS Huntsville AL Maximus #
281-272-8162 Ye Olde Inn IV Houston TX Maximus #
303-679-0161 Empire of the Dragon BBS Evergreen CO Worldgroup #
330-548-2620 WABUSA Kent OH Virtual Ad #
337-984-4794 Positronium Repository Lafayette LA Wildcat #
401-949-0465 Fleet Headquarters Greenville RI Synchronet #
416-273-7230 Electronic Chicken BBS Toronto ON Synchronet #
416-273-8639 Dark Realms Toronto ON Renegade #
432-694-7317 Black Knights BBS Midland TX RemoteAccess
502-875-8938 Capitol City Online Frankfort KY GT-2000 #
503-646-2407 Keep BBS Beaverton OR Worldgroup #
513-322-6369 Edge of Oblivion BBS Racine WI Synchronet #
530-534-5329 TDEC West BBS Oroville CA Spitfire
602-955-4491 Heatwave BBS Phoenix AZ S&T TI-99/4A #
613-392-8896 Lion's Den Trenton ON Synchronet #
623-907-2858 Realm of Darkness Phoenix AZ MBSE #
626-355-5347 Mysteria Tujunga CA BBBS #
717-396-1063 A Missing Chromosome Lancaster PA Mystic #
718-448-9402 Hidden Reef Staten IslandNY S&T TI-99/4A
780-439-8364 Xanadu Edmonton AB Roboboard F/X #
856-933-7096 Christian Fellowship Mt. Ephriam NJ PCBoard #
919-774-5930 Waldo's Place USA Sanford NC RemoteAccess #
951-652-1690 Borderline BBS Hemet CA All American #
972-329-0781 Prison Board Mesquite TX Wildcat #
979-696-3600 Ziplog Public Port College Stn TX Maximus
979-696-6352 Brazos Valley HUB College Stn TX Maximus
============================================================================

Of those listed, I dial into "Heatwave BBS" and "Prison Board" somewhat regularly.

Concerning telephony service, I have Comcast Digital Voice at home, through which I can get consistent modem connection rates above 50kbps. I had a home-wiring constraint to deal with, however, and so ended up doing some pretty extensive research into modem-over-VoIP solutions. Using the right combination of appropriately configured modem and ATA, VoIP works much better than I would have imagined, and, a year on, remains the solution of choice for use with my Tandy 1000 RLX system.

Here's the little write-up that I'd posted on the Vintage-Computer forum:

Cloudschatze wrote:
I've done quite a bit of research into using analog modems with various ATAs and VoIP services. A number of publications, includ […]
Show full quote

I've done quite a bit of research into using analog modems with various ATAs and VoIP services. A number of publications, including those from Cisco, list various recommendations for optimal modem-passthrough support. Some of the more important recommendations include:

- Use of a G.711 CODEC
- Packetization of 10ms - 20ms
- Disabling the echo canceller and voice activity detection / comfort noise generator
- Fixed, 200ms jitter buffers

From my own experience, I would like to add that V.34 and V.42bis compatibility is a must for whichever modem you'll be using. The newer your modem is, the better off you'll be.

I'd looked into a number of ATAs, including highly-configurable ones from both Cisco and Obihai, but opted to try the all-in-one, single-purchase package that is the NetTalk Duo WiFi.

"WHAT!? WiFi and VoIP with an analog modem!? That's got to be the suckiest thing ever!"

No, it actually works a lot better than even I thought it would. I'm pretty pleased, in fact.

While the NetTalk device isn't as configurable as some of the others, I was able to get the G.711 CODEC prioritized over the default, G.722 option. This change alone has resulted in consistently solid 14400bps connections using a newer USR 56k modem, and 19200bps connections (matching the DTE rate) using my Diamond SupraSonic modem. That's not to say that there isn't some inconsistency - the range has been between 9600bps and 26400bps - and given the error-correcting involved, I hesitate to say that the performance matches the connection rate, but overall, and given a week's worth of testing, I think the Duo WiFi is a well-performing, inexpensive option for casual dial-up use.

One bit of unfortunate warning: NetTalk isn't for everyone. I certainly recommend doing your own homework regarding any product or service provider, but can say that my experience with them has been pretty stellar so far.

And, the obligatory demonstration video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWiw8CKFoXc

ssnt_s.jpg