VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now that I've pared my hardware down to a few specific machines, I'm left with boxes and boxes of extra hardware. Motherboards, RAM, drives of all kinds, cards I'll never use. What would you all suggest for the best way to divest myself of these unneeded parts? I'll be keeping a few select spares in case the parts in my builds die on me, but the rest?

Obviously, ebay and the like will get the few select pieces, but for bulk, I'm not sure what to do with it. Just recycle? I'm talking 20+ each of optical drives, floppies, PSUs, hard drives, old NICs and other random cards.

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 1 of 10, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You could try Freecycle, or maybe there's a 'free to a good home' thread on a local forum? I've gone down this path a few times in the past but I generally don't bother anymore unless it's something too special to send to the recycle center.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 2 of 10, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Best Buy (in the US) takes old computer/AV devices for recycle, but you can't take 100s of items in one trip (so you spread it out). They do not charge for this service either (which is a lot nicer than a lot of "ewaste handlers" that charge a fee just to dump the stuff in a landfill behind closed doors or part it out for a profit on ebay).

I'd also consider giving stuff away to folks if possible - Craigslist, Freecycle, etc. I generally wouldn't get rid of working cables - you never know when you're gonna need one, they tend not to "go bad" if left in storage, and tend not to take up too much space.

Reply 3 of 10, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
obobskivich wrote:

I'd also consider giving stuff away to folks if possible - Craigslist, Freecycle,

Vogons? 😉

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 4 of 10, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure if it's allowed or not, but I'll put together a list of what parts I need to get rid of. I've had a few people ask for them instead of just recycling them so once I get the list done and posted here, first come first serve...just pay for shipping.

Reply 5 of 10, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No probs if you're giving things away, I'm sure. I've read similar threads here. 😀

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 6 of 10, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Awesome. I'll try and get the list updated and up tonight when I get home.

Reply 8 of 10, by n1mr0d

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Maybe salvage a few cache chips, like 32kx8, 32kx9, 8kx8 and 8kx9

VooDoo Power Asus CUBX-E 440BX PIII 1.4GHz GF4 Ti 4600 Voodoo2 SLI 12MB SBLive!+Drive SB16 CT2230 + NEC XR385
Nostalgia pc Vtech Laser Slimline DX4-100 16MB Acumos AVGA1 AWE32 CT3980 Roland MPU 401 MT32 SC88

Reply 10 of 10, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Better sell or give away then toss it away.. Because most parts are already been scraped. Make someone happy with these parts..

~ At least it can do black and white~