Leaked Windows 9 screenshot

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 105, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote:

Linux has its very own dll hell which can be worse than Windows'.

+1, and this +1 is coming from someone who has their game in some major distros' Free repositories that can be installed easily through a CLI and still has problems with the kernel-level regressions 😒

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 41 of 105, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:
Dominus wrote:

Linux has its very own dll hell which can be worse than Windows'.

+1, and this +1 is coming from someone who has their game in some major distros' Free repositories that can be installed easily through a CLI and still has problems with the kernel-level regressions 😒

Speaking from experience, dependency hell on Linux is much, much worse than it is on Windows. On Windows, all you usually have to do is find the relevant DLL, drop it in the application's folder, and call it a day. On Linux, you have to screw around with chroot jails, manually installing old versions of libraries, and all sorts of other shit that can easily break your OS. It's not so bad if you just stick to static binaries or applications found in your distro's main repositories, but if you need to install an older or more obscure application with specific library requirements, it can be a nightmare. As well, static binaries tend to be nearly impossible to find for most applications, and you have to have all the necessary versions of certain libraries installed anyway just to compile a static binary.

One thing I could never get, is why 64-bit Linux distros choke on 32-bit support, while 64-bit Windows distros have almost no problems with 32-bit applications. Why is this the case? Why do I have to install a 32-bit distro to reliably use applications that only have a 32-bit version?

Reply 42 of 105, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Dominus wrote:

holier than thou developer attitudes...

Amen to that. You should have seen the attitude they got when I dared to question the dropping of the nx586 from support. Do you know what their first response was? "That chip was never released so we don't need support for it." Never released? I have 3 motherboards and 6 CPU's that say otherwise and know of many others who have just as many as I have and some have more. For people who are supposed to be smart, they sure can be stupid sometimes. 😠

Reply 43 of 105, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
King_Corduroy wrote:

under Linux I have ABSOLUTE control if I don't like something I can rearrange the whole operating system if I see fit.

Given enough time and motivation, sure. 😉

Stojke wrote:

I still think those who CAN NOT get used to windows 8.1 start are a bit on the dull side 😀

I still think those who think others can't think for themselves are a bit... confined. 😀

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 44 of 105, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Robin4 wrote:

actually, that startmenu is not the same as windows 7.. We are missing: the all programs tabs.. They would even replace it for apps... So after all its still different..
A also heard that there wouldnt a register key als usual.. Now you just need to install windows 9 and needs to activate in the windows store.. When its activated you cant re-activated your re installing copy of windows 9..
First you need to reject it on the windows 9 store and then activate is again in the store.. I think its to complicated how to active / deactivate..

Windows_9_Start_Menu_Neowin.png

Look at the bottom of the menu. "All programs" is there only it's called "All apps" now.

Reply 45 of 105, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I really got used to pressing the Windows key and then having all my applications on Start. The funny thing is that they could have just let the Windows key peek through to the desktop and it would have been the same thing 😀

Either way I'm looking froward to W9. Although I don't like to constantly change OS.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 46 of 105, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

Look at the bottom of the menu. "All programs" is there only it's called "All apps" now.

1334955840.jpg

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 48 of 105, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
VileRancour wrote:
sliderider wrote:

[img]http://www.wtfcomics.com/upload/uploads/1334955840.jpg[/img]

Jobs revenge from beyond the grave.

Reply 51 of 105, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That type of start is lame compared to metro.
I can not understand why would somebody need to see 3/4ths of the screen at all times to start an application. Do they forget what applications are started so they need this? Metro allows easily visible grouping of applications and a complete list grouped in two segments, icons and listing.
And on top of that a simple typing of search keyword anywhere within the start menu will bring the search bar and the application instantly.

It is a far greater improvement than a little list with more lists that is 3x more time taking to navigate.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 52 of 105, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Stojke wrote:
That type of start is lame compared to metro. I can not understand why would somebody need to see 3/4ths of the screen at all ti […]
Show full quote

That type of start is lame compared to metro.
I can not understand why would somebody need to see 3/4ths of the screen at all times to start an application. Do they forget what applications are started so they need this? Metro allows easily visible grouping of applications and a complete list grouped in two segments, icons and listing.
And on top of that a simple typing of search keyword anywhere within the start menu will bring the search bar and the application instantly.

It is a far greater improvement than a little list with more lists that is 3x more time taking to navigate.

The point is that it's the way people have been doing things since Windows 95 and are comfortable with. For businesses, retraining employees to get them back up to the same level of productivity will cost them considerable time and money during which their employees are going to be doing less because they will be struggling with the new interface. Microsoft's corporate customers buy more licenses than those who buy for personal use, and they aren't buying Windows 8. Even the personal users are split on Windows 8. The absence of anything familiar is the main reason, which is why the Start menu MUST return or Windows 9 will also fail. Apple keeps OS X and iOS separate for a reason. Microsoft needs to keep their Windows Phone OS confined to Windows Phones.

Reply 53 of 105, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

...more like "shitty metro"
If the kindergarten UI was a success then win8 would be also a success, and that's hardly the case.
It's another thing asking people to "evolve to survive" and another thing when the "evolve" really means "devolve".
+1 on siderider's post, it's not only the cost of training people that makes win8 unattractive, it's also the fact that kindergarten UI cannot be taken seriously.
There are people here that like it, people that don't. MS was stubborn enough not to include an option or even both start-solutions, instead they wanted to force people to work differently for some unknown reason... Metro UI would make sense in a touch-screen environment but make it compulsory for everyone? At least the people selling old-start-menu alternatives got richer , it's something: share the wealth 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 55 of 105, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Eventually people who used windows 95 will die/stop using windows/computers.
No need to "devolve" every one else because they cant get used to something that takes 10 minutes to organize,

Reply 56 of 105, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

30j1il3.jpg

yeah... kindergarten UI is great and awesome for people that use computers like their PDA, the future is crappy tiles, charmbars that make no sense and reduced aesthetics to the rest of the OS: but hey, you have pretty tiles on start menu right? that's soooo swag, and 2014
C'mon people, start dying / not caring so we can have pretty tiles pretty please...
Are you serious? First people need to "evolve" to use the precious Metro UI (like an OS is an ecosystem or some similar insane analogy) and then here's hoping people that don't like crappy flashy things die or get so old they don't care... way to go , that's what I call progressive thinking!
Thank God the userbase spit on the abomination that is win8 and will soon be with the rest of the fail-OSes in history.

Last edited by keropi on 2014-07-27, 22:13. Edited 1 time in total.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 57 of 105, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Seriously 😀

I can not believe there is any other reason not wanting to give Metro a try but for liking the old start / being ignorant (afraid to try it because its different).
The new start has everything as the old one only it is full screen.

I use around 20 applications for various things : http://puu.sh/atGAf/3d3a0d0162.png
Some are pinned to Task Bar some are pinned to Start menu, while others are accessed via search. Exactly the same thing as in Windows Vista/7 start.
Where Metro is more interactive being an window/page fully dedicated to applications.

Reply 58 of 105, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

First of all, you are again doing the same crappy thing again by posting things like: being ignorant (afraid to try it because its different).

FYI I have tried win8 for about a month. Horrible experience for me. Apparently a bazillion other people felt the same.
On the other hand you with your tablet-looking "desktop" might like it, but that doesn't give you the right to call people ignorants, afraid of change and cliche crap like that.
Just because this is fine for your needs it doesn't mean it's fine for everyone. I have ~60 icons on my desktop, from program shortcuts to project directories and I don't really need a crappy swag "start" menu to get in the way or buried settings or crappy degraded visuals (like it's 1990 again) on the OS screen that I will be spending 90% of my time.
The truly sad part is that win8 offers a better core-OS than win7. 😐

In the end, sales figures speak for themselves, so I'll just leave it at that. ...not even winME wasn't blamed for low pc sales ffs 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣 🤣

Last edited by keropi on 2014-07-27, 22:49. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 59 of 105, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You are making an assumption that just because you like it that everyone should. It is the same mistake that many fanbois make when trying promote their favorite flavor OS to others. What is intuitive to you and what works best for you is not going to be universal. Remember, what most people find intuitive is what they are used to. This is why many Mac Users dislike about using Windows and why Windows users dislike about using Macs. Peoples brains are wired differently, have different needs and experiences. The thing that people dislike about Windows 8 is that Metro was forced on everyone, regardless of whether or not it was installed on a workstation or a phone.

One of the great things about Windows is that traditionally it has been very customizable right out of the box. Even Vista and Win7 let you use classic theme over Aero. Win8 took choice away from the user. Metro forced a GUI designed for touch screens with little need for more than texting, email and Twitter, onto everyone, including people needing to do real work with large screen monitors, using nothing more that a keyboard and mouse. You may like it, but no need to belittle those that Metro does not fit their needs.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers