VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Holering

User metadata

Does anyone here use a VGA to HDMI converter? I'm wondering if most of them work with custom resolutions like: 640x448@60hz, 858x525@60hz, 1152x864@100hz, etc. Most I've seen say HD 1080P support, but nothing about PC vesa modes or anything else.

Reply 1 of 5, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ni. I have a really good Samsung 24" 1920 x 1200 LCD LED monitor in my retro lab and it has a fantastic scaler.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 5, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Some of the older Faroudja and Extron boxes should accept at least some of your desired resolutions, assuming your output target isn't beyond their abilities (not all of them will do 1080p and beyond, or run at extremely high refresh rates (>120Hz)). It'll be DVI out, but that just means a passive converter to HDMI; I doubt HDCP is even a consideration here. Basically you're probably better looking at an actual scaler, than a "converter" type box (which is usually cheap-as-chips one-size-for-all kind of hardware).

Out of curiosity though, I'm guessing you're going into an LCD since you're wanting to convert to HDMI; why do you need 100Hz?

EDIT:
This guy looks promising:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231290034901

Reply 3 of 5, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Something subjective I found. Most LCD devices are really really good at scaling 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz. It's THE resolution to use if you must use an LCD monitor and non native resolution.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 5, by Holering

User metadata
obobskivich wrote:
Some of the older Faroudja and Extron boxes should accept at least some of your desired resolutions, assuming your output target […]
Show full quote

Some of the older Faroudja and Extron boxes should accept at least some of your desired resolutions, assuming your output target isn't beyond their abilities (not all of them will do 1080p and beyond, or run at extremely high refresh rates (>120Hz)). It'll be DVI out, but that just means a passive converter to HDMI; I doubt HDCP is even a consideration here. Basically you're probably better looking at an actual scaler, than a "converter" type box (which is usually cheap-as-chips one-size-for-all kind of hardware).

Out of curiosity though, I'm guessing you're going into an LCD since you're wanting to convert to HDMI; why do you need 100Hz?

EDIT:
This guy looks promising:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/231290034901

I certainly don't want a scaler. I'd rather let display or software do the scaling. As long as I can find a vga to hdmi transcoder that works with custom modes I'll be fine with that. I'm still a bit surprised at the prices of the 1080P vga to hdmi boxes; I've seen some for $20.00 after shipping no joke. If most support Vesa modes, then maybe that'll be somewhat of a clue to custom resolutions.

EDIT:
Forgot to mention I use 100hz for some of my PAL games (yeah I use emulators but so what, I got the systems and games 🤣).

Reply 5 of 5, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If you can do software scaling, why not scale it on the PC to 1080p and then dump that into the VGA to HDMI converter? Also, I'm guessing 100Hz will be a problem for many LCDs, hence the scaler which could perform the field rate conversion.