http://rott.s4.bizhat.com

Reply 1 of 5, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

None of my games!

(yet)

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 3 of 5, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Anything DOS based in their catalogue would still technically work on Linux, except not the installer, so you'd have to install to a Windows machine first to be able to pull the files, then transfer the files over to a Linux rig and configure DOSBox appropriately. :B

In any case, not surprised to see this happening. :B

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 4 of 5, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can understand the DOS related stuff working under Linux, but what about the games that were natively ported to Linux? Those are hard as hell to get working properly. Unreal Tournament under Linux has a outdated OpenAL that expects oss and will not function properly under ALSA no matter what you try.

I can imagine the other Unreal engine based titles that got linux ports are going to be a pain in the ass for GOG to get working. However the windows versions of Unreal engine titles work just fine under Wine.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 5 of 5, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Since they were building for Ubuntu 14.04, the games would not run on my Debian Wheezy rig, being that it has an outdated libc6. Was easy enough to fix by forcing an update to the Jessie version of libc6. Thankfully, so far nothing else broke with that being a risky thing to do. More fun for me being the crazy dude running Debian Stable, also known as Stale, just take out the 'b'.

I'm happy to see that GOG is attempting to do this. Anything that helps Linux move forward is a good thing, even if it is some backward looking (read as nostalgia) games.

I'm curious to see how their Wine ports are working out. They could have asked us (my company CodeWeavers) for help on porting, but they prefer to do everything in house.

I'm also interested in seeing their Galaxy interface and how that works. If it is as simple as Steam, albeit without the DRM, that would be amazing.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube