VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've got an old Pentium 3 laptop that I'm fixing up and one of the things I always install is a web browser. Well, FireFox 1.5 ran like a champ on this thing about 9 years ago but now.. eh. It is BIOS-limited to only 256MB of ram and as many of you may know, modern web browsers are ram guzzlers. Chrome won't even install on a Pentium 3. So it is neigh impossible for a memory-constrained system like this to properly render a modern web page.

Or is it.. ?

If this computer didn't have the memory or horsepower to render the page then why not offload it to another one? I have a headless 16-core Opteron server which handles various tasks and has plenty of extra resources. So, I fired up Cygwin, started an X session, ssh in, load up FireFox and.. I'm online! 😀

Web pages load fast and render correctly. Kind of a real roundabout way to browse the web but whatever. 🤣

No need to worry about security holes from running on an old OS either, since everything is on the Linux box. Want to download something? Grab the link and wget it to your computer. Easy as pie.

Reply 1 of 9, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Very interesting solution. I was about to suggest Puppy Linux for you - I booted that up on my P3 1GHz CuMine and had no issues browsing the web (at least the parts of the web I use; I don't do a lot of heavy multi-media stuff - Vogons, for example, loaded with no problems).

Reply 2 of 9, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I like Windows. And I'm going to play games and wrote code on it for fun.

Finding solutions to work within the confines of a memory-constrained system is what makes this interesting. For example, tunneling X over ssh isn't very responsive for things like scrolling a web page, even over a LAN. So I'm going to try and put together some nx session scripts to compress it further and see how fast it can be; or whether it's network bound, cpu bound, etc.

The laptop has a mini-pci slot which used to house a card which enabled the phone/lan jacks. I replaced this with a Wireless N adapter to improve bandwidth for this scenario. Simpler UIs are quite snappy.

Reply 5 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

http://virtuallyfun.superglobalmegacorp.com/?p=3866
http://virtuallyfun.superglobalmegacorp.com/?p=3910

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 9, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The last time I ran on a browser on a retro rig was opera two years ago on a P1 rig that is years older than your laptop. Give Opera a try but support isn't perfect and adobe flash is just a hog on its own. Will run on such a ram limited system for basic browsing but flash or java heavy sites all I can say is good luck. I prefer the Pentium 700 series for retro laptops, runs super cool and has enough bang for windows 7 despite being nothing more than a supped up pentium 3.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 8 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Media Player Classic is handy for this too combined with Livestreamer if you intend to watch Twitch and some other streaming sites just to get past the Flash CPU bottleneck. Yes, even for ~700MHz PCs. Flash sucks, is the ultimate deciding factor if a computer is 'too obsolete for web'.

Now if only there was something similar to handle Youtube...

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 9, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

Media Player Classic is handy for this too combined with Livestreamer if you intend to watch Twitch and some other streaming sites just to get past the Flash CPU bottleneck. Yes, even for ~700MHz PCs. Flash sucks, is the ultimate deciding factor if a computer is 'too obsolete for web'.

Now if only there was something similar to handle Youtube...

You can manually download most videos and play them with just about any media player, it is only videos with locked music that refuse to download. 😢

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.