VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is there a list online of which soundfont set sounds best (and reflects the way the musicians intented it to sound), or should we start compiling a list here, so others can just peruse, without needing to go thru a ton of trial and error?

I've got nothing better to do tomorrow, so I can get the ball rolling sometime tomorrow afternoon, EST, and start my own list. Please feel free to add your own personal picks to it.

Reply 1 of 3, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ElectricMonk wrote:

Is there a list online of which soundfont set sounds best (and reflects the way the musicians intented it to sound),

If you're looking for fidelity, then you should look for the ones that sound close to Roland Sound Canvas.

ElectricMonk wrote:

or should we start compiling a list here, so others can just peruse, without needing to go thru a ton of trial and error?

This thread may interest you.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 2 of 3, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Is there a list online of which soundfont set sounds best (and reflects the way the musicians intented it to sound),
If you're looking for fidelity, then you should look for the ones that sound close to Roland Sound Canvas.

I recently tried a SC-55 soundfont (Tie Fighter, some of the later SCI Sierra games, and it just seemed a bit off, compared to SGM. Should I look for an SC-88 soundfont? Or even a Yamaha XG soundfont?

I also tried the 8GM set from the Roland Daughtercard, and it sounded even worse.

ElectricMonk wrote:

or should we start compiling a list here, so others can just peruse, without needing to go thru a ton of trial and error?

Oh cool! Thank you very much, kind sir! 😁

Reply 3 of 3, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ElectricMonk wrote:

I recently tried a SC-55 soundfont (Tie Fighter, some of the later SCI Sierra games, and it just seemed a bit off, compared to SGM. Should I look for an SC-88 soundfont? Or even a Yamaha XG soundfont?

I also tried the 8GM set from the Roland Daughtercard, and it sounded even worse.

No, no. The best sound font for TIE Fighter is Bellatrix Orchestra! 😉

For other kind of game music (modern, non-orchestra), SGM + Drums! by Slavo still sounds best.

ElectricMonk wrote:
ElectricMonk wrote:

Oh cool! Thank you very much, kind sir! 😁

You're most welcome. Let me know when you have tried TIE Fighter with Bellatrix Orchestra, you won't be disappointed! 😀

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.