VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

About two weeks ago, I bought an Atari 2600 at a flea market. It looked like this :

file.php?mode=view&id=15302&sid=52c017c8ecbf5af603ce1fce4216e89a

Ignore the D&D booklet (which I got very cheaply at the same time), this is the only "before" photo I have. Like most Atari 2600s, this one came in well-worn shape. I had to open it and cleaned it out of all sorts of dust and debris. I even found a pair of dead weevils under the metal enclosure. (The system uses the "light-sixer" exterior but has a "heavy sixer" interior). Atari's of this vintage are supposed to have an orange border around the switches, but this one's paint had worn almost completely off. The joysticks are also supposed to have orange paint on the raised dashes around the stick handle. (Actually, my stick probably came from a 2600jr., which is supposed to be completely black, but I wanted it to look contemporary with the system unit).

Attachments

• Filename
    20140720_173853[1].jpg
    File size
    362.65 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 1 of 3, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

An hour or so with an orange oil-based pen, and here is the result :

file.php?mode=view&id=15305&sid=52c017c8ecbf5af603ce1fce4216e89a

I found that a wide wedge-shaped tip was the best thing for the edging on the system unit. When it came to the joystick, I used the pen to dab a little paint on each raised surface until the paint covered the whole surface. For the really tiny "TOP", I used a toothpick and dabbed it into the paint. The alcohol will help fix mistakes. Close up, there is no mistaking this for the factory paint job, but it looks really nice.

This wasn't the only thing I had to fix. Most of the fixed-position switches had come loose and made intermittent contact, so I opened them up, cleaned the contacts with 99% isoprophyl alcohol and straightened any bent contacts. When I put the switch housing back on I tightened it to make a better connection. I may have tightened the Power Switch a bit more than the factory preset, but now the console stays on. The momentary switches (Select and Reset) also required opening up and contact cleaning. They are somewhat more difficult to put back because you have to align a spring as well as a pair of contacts, but not impossible. Now when I use these switches, I no longer see random dashes over the screen.

The one thing I still need to do is to obtain some replacement dust protectors for the switches. The ones on the switches were disintegrating and would cause more harm than good if replaced. Heavy sixer internals do not use conductive tape. I also need some aluminium polish to remove the tarnish from the switches.

Attachments

• Filename
    20140727_220131.jpg
    File size
    462.31 KiB
    Downloads
    No downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 2 of 3, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice project!

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 3 of 3, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wow! I haven't had one of those, since my dad bought us one, and a bunch of games dirt-cheap right when the video game market crashed right after ET: The game. I was 5 or 6, and was only allowed to play it in my Dad's home office before school, so I'd wake up a 4am, to play River Raid before carpool came to pick me up for school. Fond memories!

I used to love to park Pitfall Harry on a log, just to annoy my older sister with that *BWAAAAAAAAAM* noise. 😀

Hope it all still works! If I can find my old cartridges (25 or so), I'll sell them to you cheap as hell. Assuming my nephew didn't make off with them when he was a kid.

They weren't all great, like 01 Combat and Hangman, but I also had River Raid, Pitfall, Empire Strikes Back, and even ET.