Topic actions

Reply 20 of 43, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sorry for the derail. 😊

King_Corduroy wrote:

Well in all reality what is the harm in a thread dedicated to that anyhow? I mean ebay is a pain in the arse and they take a cut of any transaction you do. Just wondering.

From a moderator/administrator's perspective FS/FT is a huge nightmare to deal with because inevitably you will get some bad eggs that will take advantage of the "good will" associated with forum FS/FT and scam people, or they'll buy things for flipping, etc and it ends up with a lot of hurt feelings, lost money/merch, etc and as a mod/admin there's not a lot you can do about it, and until the dollar value gets outrageous (tens of thousands of dollars) there isn't much that law enforcement can/will do (ESPECIALLY if things are done internationally). It gets even nastier when you have folks that setup businesses/shops through forums. It's just a huge open door for potential drama and nonsense that can very much divide/damage/etc a community. 😒

Pushing folks onto ebay basically passes the buck to ebay/paypal's CS department, which is professionally trained/paid/supported to deal with nothing but these kinds of issues, and while most people have horror stories about a seller/buyer that just never quite "gets it" in most cases there's a resolution that isn't "I'm out $9300 and some equipment and there is no resolution in sight and it's been 6 years."

Reply 23 of 43, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

:Those 2.1 and 9.1 GB SCSI hard disks are what I'm interested, if nobody wants them. 😊

Thanks a lot for such a nice gesture.. 😀

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 25 of 43, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think so, at any rate this has lead to a change in the rules a bit since it was going on before a moderator found it and exchanges were already made. So I think it's OK as long as you aren't trying to sell something.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 26 of 43, by senrew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can I get an official Mod ruling on this? I think for now, I'm going to complete any requests that have already come in as of this post, but then I'll close the thread to new requests.

If a mod can give me an official "Nah, it's ok" then I'll reopen the giveaway.

Halcyon: PC Chips M525, P100, 64MB, Millenium 1, Voodoo1, AWE64, DVD, Win95B

Reply 29 of 43, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks! 😁 There was just a very long silence there so I wasn't sure. 😜

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 30 of 43, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
cdoublejj wrote:

We can give away parts with out breaking the rules!?

No.

senrew wrote:

Can I get an official Mod ruling on this? I think for now, I'm going to complete any requests that have already come in as of this post, but then I'll close the thread to new requests.

Given that we spotted this (too) late, the proposed solution is fine.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 31 of 43, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guys since stuff can't be traded or given away here I think the best solution would be for interested parties to create account over overclock.net it's decent enough community I have had some serious retro heads over there come over here as well. The advantages are:

Trading, selling, buying and give aways are all allowed
We can have our own Vogons User group and or thread

I've been a longtime member of both forums and I have had retro parts i have wanted to trade, sell and give away for some time now.

Reply 32 of 43, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hey guys, did any of you actually receive what Senrew offered here? Because I've got quite an unleasant situation, I sent him $60 to cover the shipping in August. I contacted him on September, 13 and asked if he shipped the stuff and he said, he forgot, but was going to. I asked him for moneyback 10 days ago, but he hasn't been online since September, 25.

I just want to know if any of the parts actually arrived because Senrew seems to be a nice guy and I don't want to think that he's scamming me.

Reply 36 of 43, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, it's been a while, Senrew's vanished, not responding emails and not appearing of vogons. Raccoonrider got scummed on the net for the very first time. That was unexpected. $60 is not a fortune, it just feels bad, given how much I like this place.

Reply 37 of 43, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

you guys should do trades on overclock.net. great community, trader reputation system etc etc I don't see vogons changing it's TOS or allowing trades any time soon.

Reply 38 of 43, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yikes, that sucks! He seemed like a decent guy, not the kind of person to pull off something like that, especially for 60$. He probably has troubles of his own and has completely forgotten all about you.
Not saying this is the right way to deal with these things at all, just trying to figure out what happened!