VOGONS

Common searches

Most recent DOS game releases, ever?

Topic actions

First post, by Maxaxle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Seriously, I'm wondering if there have been any [commercial] DOS game releases within the past 5-10 years.

Reply 1 of 27, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don`t think so.

In 2004 nobody would have bought a game that didn`t support directx.

After win95/98 there is no official support for dos from microsoft and only emulated versions came with winME, winxp etc.

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 2 of 27, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought a collector's edition of Prince of Persia (Ubisoft). The DVDs are dated in November 2005, and it included a floppy with the original DOS version of Prince of Persia. Does that count?

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!

Reply 4 of 27, by Maxaxle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Harekiet wrote:

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=62781 I'd guess that's the most recent one 😀

Wow, that's actually really impressive.

Zup wrote:

I bought a collector's edition of Prince of Persia (Ubisoft). The DVDs are dated in November 2005, and it included a floppy with the original DOS version of Prince of Persia. Does that count?

Suddenly I have one less reason to hate Ubisoft. How did they get their hands on a floppy disk that worked well enough to be sold, though?

Reply 5 of 27, by EverythingOldIsNewAgain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Define commercial. 😜. Petrila Entertainment which is basically one guy who apparently is now in politics released a number of DOS shooters around 2000-2002ish. Most were politically themed. All but one were freeware.

Since the DOS Games Archive site is not working for me at the moment for some reason, here's archive.org's version:

https://web.archive.org/web/20130916014317/ht … -entertainment/

I'm thinking 97-98ish would be the last big commercial years.

Reply 6 of 27, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Harekiet wrote:

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=62781 I'd guess that's the most recent one :)

This website triggered Microsoft SmartScreen to have a heart attack... first time I'd ever seen that happen too after over a year of Windows 8 usage. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 7 of 27, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

pouet is always listed as a "attack site" because of razor1911's presence there.

“I am the dragon without a name…”
― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 10 of 27, by Rekrul

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This thread is kind of amusing considering that there have been commercially released games for the Atari 2600, 5200, 7800 and Commodore 64 in the last few years. Granted, they weren't produced by big companies and sold in brick & mortar stores, but they were released with full packaging and sold via mail order.

Reply 11 of 27, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's kind of awesome when you think of it that way though, a lot of PC games back in the day had to be ordered via mail. It's cool to know you can order new games for some of your retro systems in a retro sort of fashion. 😜

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 12 of 27, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

WWII GI, NAM, Burnout (not THAT Burnout) and Elder Scrolls Redguard are the few real late DOS releases I can think of. Not surprising given the companies for their incompetent history 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 13 of 27, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gunmetal was released in 1998 for MS-DOS and "Windows" but the DirectX version is super unstable no matter what you try to run it on.

It's only stable from within a pure DOS environment. It is also easily the nicest looking DOS game anyone could ever play.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 14 of 27, by Maxaxle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DracoNihil wrote:

Gunmetal was released in 1998 for MS-DOS and "Windows" but the DirectX version is super unstable no matter what you try to run it on.

It's only stable from within a pure DOS environment. It is also easily the nicest looking DOS game anyone could ever play.

Gunmetal looks absolutely spectacular. It's a shame my DOS machine (which I picked up for free) tends to drop to 20-25 FPS when things are anything but calm.

Reply 15 of 27, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Granted I've been running Gunmetal in a VirtualBox VM running MS-DOS 6.22, runs at a solid framerate no matter what's going on. And most importantly it doesn't run turbo speed and doesn't crash every single time...

What are you running it on? You need like 32 MB of RAM and maybe a Pentium 2 for this game to shine.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 16 of 27, by Maxaxle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The BIOS says it's got a AMD-K5-PR166 and about 66.5k of RAM, but I meant to say that Quake drops from 20-25 FPS whenever things are anything but calm, earlier. I'll give it a shot if it can be stuffed onto a CD or multiple floppies.

As for the game, I just remembered where I've heard the "radio transmission received" sound before: Deus Ex. Weird, huh?

Reply 17 of 27, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gunmetal needs to be installed and patched on Windows, the resultant game folder can be put back on a CD-R. So you're in luck there.

The game is massive though. 618~ MB total, so be sure to have sufficient diskspace for it. You do not require the CD to play this game, not even for the music.

And 64 MB of RAM is twice what it recommends so that's a good thing. What about your SVGA card? Hopefully that's not a bottleneck either.

― Κυνικός Δράκων

Reply 18 of 27, by Maxaxle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1. I suspect my hard drive might not be big enough to fit the entire game, but I could always run it from the CD...
2. I don't actually know what card the DOS machine has, but I'll be sure to check it later.

Reply 19 of 27, by DracoNihil

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never tried to see how well the game is stable under playing with a minimal install, but given how rocky the engine it uses is and the overall programming it might turn sour.

EDIT: Also in response to leilei.. Does Extreme Paintbrawl count too?

― Κυνικός Δράκων