VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've searched amazon, barnes and noble, online publishers, even TPB, and I can't find a detailed book on vintage computer/console/video processor hardware and interviews. I know people on this board have pretty much everything under the sun, so I'm asking if anyone would be willing to assist with HD pics of motherboards, CPUs, graphics boards/chips, etc... I'm talking everything from atariVC, BBC, Amiga, IBM clones, up thru Dreamcast and PS2.

I'm in the process of trying to get interviews lined up with various designers, project leads, game devs who worked on said hardware, and even repair techs. If (and that's a bit IF), I score the interviews, would anyone here be willing to donate pictures for the book? I intend on making it a freely available PDF, under the Creative Commons License, but if a publisher gets wind and wants to do a printing run, we'd have to decide as a group what terms to accept.

Again, this may not happen, so don't hold your breath.

BTW, does anyone have detailed PDFs for TG-16, SNES, NEO GEO? This is for an unrelated project.

Reply 1 of 5, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

well , if you do score those interviews and still want help I am sure people here will assist you - me included - with what they can photograph

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 2 of 5, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
keropi wrote:

well , if you do score those interviews and still want help I am sure people here will assist you - me included - with what they can photograph

Thanks! I've gotten some interest from certain interviewees, but I've still got a looong way to go.

Plus, I'd need an editor and "punch up" writer, and a typesetter. Those skills aren't in my wheelhouse.

Reply 3 of 5, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sure, I'd be glad to give you pics of my IBM PCjr, Commodore 64 or 64C, and my Packard Bell as well as whatever other vintage boards I have laying around. As long as you gave me credit for the certain units or photo's that would be really cool. 😁

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 4 of 5, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
King_Corduroy wrote:

Sure, I'd be glad to give you pics of my IBM PCjr, Commodore 64 or 64C, and my Packard Bell as well as whatever other vintage boards I have laying around. As long as you gave me credit for the certain units or photo's that would be really cool. 😁

Since it would definitely be a group effort, everybody gets credit. Once I get to the point where I ask for pics, either "Photo provided by [X] will go beneath the pic, or I'll ask submitters to put a little copyright notice in the corner of the pic (NO GIANT WATERMARK, FOLKS!). 😁

Besides, if the planets all align, and some publisher wants to print it and sell it, everybody that helped would get involved in the negotiations. It's only fair, since all I'll be doing is interviewing and writing. 😁

I still want to release it as a free PDF under CC, though. Hell, if the DOSBox folks like it, they could be the official host.

Reply 5 of 5, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sweet. I like this idea a lot! I'd be cool to own a physical book though that I helped write. 😜

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!