VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you guys seen this yet? I really want one of these. It's an 8 bit computer built with the idea that it could have existed in the 80's but has the benefits of some modern advances such as USB, PS/2 ports, Flash card storage, 3.5" diskette drive and it's WAAAAAY more reliable than a lot of the home computers from the 80's (namely the C64 which is infinitely finicky). Speaking of the C64 you can use DUAL SID CHIPS in it for your sound generator. 😁
It's a kit computer that can be ordered fully assembled or as a DIY project. It costs 300$ but it seems to be completely open source design so you could probably build one yourself from scratch.

For more specific info I'll redirect you to the home page since I'll probably remember the specs wrong. 😜
https://www.ist-schlau.de/

To so the computer in action go to the creators youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5nL9qhGkg5Uo2V1WwuODJg

I'm probably going to buy one of these bad boys in the future so I figured why not see if some of you guys are interested too. 😀

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1 of 19, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting, but i dislike the fact that they chose SID chips. Are they gonna canibalize C64's to get the SID's? Did they get someone to produce SID's for them? I like the video chip, brings a leg up on what they are improving about what an 8 bit computer was able to do, so using SID's is meh... Would be much more interesting to use Yamaha OPL2's instead. Dual OPL2's would be extremely nice.

Reply 2 of 19, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No the SID chip is optional, from my understanding it makes use of another chip also for sound if you don't want to use SID. Personally I have 2 dead commodore 64 computers so this is ideal.

Reply 4 of 19, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:

No the SID chip is optional, from my understanding it makes use of another chip also for sound if you don't want to use SID. Personally I have 2 dead commodore 64 computers so this is ideal.

Where did ou see that? Cause on their website its between dual 6581's or dual 8580's. Both are SID's, the 8580 being the latest revision if i remember correctly.

Reply 5 of 19, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@Harekiet
I think you completely miss the point...
Besides why would you emulate when you could have real hardware? This is a custom 8 bit machine being manufactured NOW, in 2014! I mean doesn't that sound interesting in the least? This is NOT a C64 its a completely different beast, it's MUCH more powerful. It's a machine that takes the best of all the machines of the 80's and puts it all together into a dream 8 bit home computer. They are writing programs for this now from scratch and porting old programs too. I just think it's really cool.

@Carlostex
Well before the man had released it I spoke to him briefly and he said you could use the SID chips which I assumed meant there was another option. Besides I thought I read somewhere on the forums about there being another chip option.

Reply 6 of 19, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well an FPGA is real hardware with the added benefit that you can program it to run different systems or with a fast enough one you can just run older systems at much higher rates. Guess it's mostly also just the high price of the thing and then only ending up with a limited system that will most likely not get much development.

Reply 8 of 19, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Beside the questionable choice for SIDs which are not in production anymore, I don't see a 8 bit CPU in the Kiwi computer. The 68K is a 16/32 bit CPU, even if the bus gets crippled to 8 bit.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 9 of 19, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:
Have you guys seen this yet? I really want one of these. It's an 8 bit computer built with the idea that it could have existed i […]
Show full quote

Have you guys seen this yet? I really want one of these. It's an 8 bit computer built with the idea that it could have existed in the 80's but has the benefits of some modern advances such as USB, PS/2 ports, Flash card storage, 3.5" diskette drive and it's WAAAAAY more reliable than a lot of the home computers from the 80's (namely the C64 which is infinitely finicky). Speaking of the C64 you can use DUAL SID CHIPS in it for your sound generator. 😁
It's a kit computer that can be ordered fully assembled or as a DIY project. It costs 300$ but it seems to be completely open source design so you could probably build one yourself from scratch.

For more specific info I'll redirect you to the home page since I'll probably remember the specs wrong. 😜
https://www.ist-schlau.de/

To so the computer in action go to the creators youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5nL9qhGkg5Uo2V1WwuODJg

I'm probably going to buy one of these bad boys in the future so I figured why not see if some of you guys are interested too. 😀

In my opinion, this computer could have only existed in an alternate reality 1980s where someone was crazy enough to combine an 8-bit CPU with comparatively beastly amounts of speed and RAM. Now, a 16 or 32-bit CPU with those specs was quite possible in this reality.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 10 of 19, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Regardless of whether or not it "Could have existed in the 80's", it didn't, so in my humble opinion you might as well just emulate. There's a modern SID replacement - not a perfect reproduction from what I read, but perhaps a good fit for this thing.

I like that people create these things but while original 8 bit machines are still available then it's hard to image that there's much of a market.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 12 of 19, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's not an 8-bit machine. the 68008 is really just a 68000 with an 8-bit data path, kind of like the difference between an 8088 and an 8086.

Reply 13 of 19, by BSA Starfire

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mr_bigmouth_502 wrote:

It's not an 8-bit machine. the 68008 is really just a 68000 with an 8-bit data path, kind of like the difference between an 8088 and an 8086.

Same CPU as used in the Sinclair QL.

286 20MHz,1MB RAM,Trident 8900B 1MB, Conner CFA-170A.SB 1350B
386SX 33MHz,ULSI 387,4MB Ram,OAK OTI077 1MB. Seagate ST1144A, MS WSS audio
Amstrad PC 9486i, DX/2 66, 16 MB RAM, Cirrus SVGA,Win 95,SB 16
Cyrix MII 333,128MB,SiS 6326 H0 rev,ESS 1869,Win ME

Reply 15 of 19, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elianda wrote:

Beside the questionable choice for SIDs which are not in production anymore, I don't see a 8 bit CPU in the Kiwi computer. The 68K is a 16/32 bit CPU, even if the bus gets crippled to 8 bit.

Precisely, just like the 8088 is not an 8bit CPU despite the external bus was 8 bit, to simplify and lower the cost of components on the motherboards.

Reply 16 of 19, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣 You guys run right past the interesting parts and always immediately start splitting hairs. 🤣

Reply 17 of 19, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I, for one, would be willing to make sacrifices for an 8-bit computer with a "modern" 3.5 inch floppy drive. My Commodore 64 is gathering dust because the cassette player doesn't work and the only floppy drives for it that work are quite expensive around here.

There is the SD2IEC thingy... but it infuriates me how much that thing costs considering it's an ugly, tiny circuit board with wires coming out of it.

So a computer which is retro but at the same time as easily usable as a fairly modern PC? Sounds awesome to me...

Last edited by Yasashii on 2014-08-15, 20:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 18 of 19, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Yasashii wrote:

I, for one, would be willing to make sacrifices for an 8-bit computer with a "modern" 1.44 inch floppy drive. My Commodore 64 is gathering dust because the cassette player doesn't work and the only floppy drives for it that work are quite expensive around here.

There is the SD2IEC thingy... but it infuriates me how much that thing costs considering it's an ugly, tiny circuit board with wires coming out of it.

So a computer which is retro but at the same time as easily usable as a fairly modern PC? Sounds awesome to me...

I know it's expensive, and it's not exactly a thing of beauty either, but the 1541 Ultimate solves the C64 disk problem perfectly. I love mine!

http://www.1541ultimate.net/

Life? Don't talk to me about life.