VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I thought this photo captured my transition from retro videogame console collecting to retro PC collecting. Here's part of my card collection stored in clear videogame protective boxes! They used to hold Atari 2600 and Intellivision games, mostly, and now they hold Creative Labs and 3dfx cards. These boxes don't fit 3/4 length cards, though, so I have to find some that do. I can't decide whether to keep the modems and NICs this way. If you're looking for storage ideas, I can recommend this one. You still get to gawk at the hardware while keeping it protected.

P1110104.jpg

Reply 1 of 13, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That't some nice storing! I just use anti static bags but my boxes are smaller. I really like your method though.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 13, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's exceptionally well organized 😲 - I just have plastic bins with the hardware in antistatic bags kind of "thrown in." It's separated broadly by type (e.g. RAM is one bucket), but I'm guessing most people would find it to be a mess. 🤣

Reply 3 of 13, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
obobskivich wrote:

That's exceptionally well organized 😲 - I just have plastic bins with the hardware in antistatic bags kind of "thrown in." It's separated broadly by type (e.g. RAM is one bucket), but I'm guessing most people would find it to be a mess. 🤣

I'll find it to be a nice method since it 95% resembles mine. 🤣

I use cardboard boxes instead of plastic bins though, and my stored items are generally pitifully small amounts (I like them in my cases 😈 ).

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 4 of 13, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
tayyare wrote:

I'll find it to be a nice method since it 95% resembles mine. 🤣

I use cardboard boxes instead of plastic bins though, and my stored items are generally pitifully small amounts (I like them in my cases 😈 ).

I did the cardboard box thing for years until I had a flood. I didn't actually lose too much in the way of hardware (those anti-static bags are generally waterproof as long as the open end doesn't take in water), but it was a mess to clean up. Switching to plastic tubs prevents that kind of thing from being a problem, as they generally don't dissolve in water (and if they're able to close, they will usually keep their contents relatively dry as long as they aren't submerged). It also kind of swore me off "boxed hardware" - I lost most of those boxes and decided it wasn't worth the hassle or energy to replace them. 😊

Reply 5 of 13, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's a good idea. My current solution to this problem isn't very good: lay as many cards flat on the shelf as will fit, drape a thick cloth over them, then lay another layer of cards on top. Repeat 2 or 3 times. This is how I store motherboards as well.

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.

Reply 8 of 13, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most are standard 2600/5200/7800/ColecoVision/intellivision (non-gatefold) boxes. About 8"x6"x1". Some are Intellivision gatefold boxes, which are about a half inch longer. About $0.80 apiece in packs of 25.

Reply 9 of 13, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

They must be super rare 🤣 .
Finding nothing with ebay searches!
Is that the official name?
Nothing really comes up with Atari boxes or gatefold boxes.
These really interest me, as I currently use plastic stack-able bookcases with drawers, and just store cards in antistatic bags stacked against one another inside those.

Reply 10 of 13, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try less keywords 😀
e.g. google/bing [ atari videogame box protector ]

Nice idea btw!

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 13 of 13, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Not sure if we're allowed to link to web stores, but until I hear otherwise, you can PM me for a link (no affiliation, just a satisfied customer).