VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 21 of 37, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

...or you could've saved yourself some time and typed 'get off my lawn'.

Well, it always rubs me the wrong way when a Quake fan or Command & Conquer fan calling others "kiddie" while self-proclaiming himself "hardcore gamer". To someone who played F-16 Combat Pilot using keyboard (although I admit I always use autoland), or repelling the Highlord army with the higest difficulty settings, the gamefaqs OP is a kiddie. However, I'm not keen to use such colorful words, especially to label myself better than other gamers. I knew there are a lot of things wrong with modern games, but when I criticize such games, I criticize the games, not the gamers.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 22 of 37, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
I never played Quake or COD online, until I tried Black Ops II on the PC. I was always a Battlefield fan and everyone told me th […]
Show full quote

I never played Quake or COD online, until I tried Black Ops II on the PC. I was always a Battlefield fan and everyone told me that COD is crap. But I really liked Black Ops II. At first I just got dominated. These COD kiddies are quite good, especially on the PC the gameplay is frantic. What I liked was that you didn't have to search for fights like in BF with re-spawns always miles away. The battle was just around the corner.

What I took away about COD is that it has the formula of that all good games have: easy to learn, hard to master. I kept playing, did the unlocks, got gold and diamond and over time got better. Towards the end I would often win rounds which, for my age and reaction time, is quite cool. I also live remote so got higher ping compared to people in Sydney.

Ghosts on the other hand: The PC version is utter garbage.

I miss playing BLOPS II. The servers have really died down and that was the end of it. I had so much fun with the shotguns and lmgs, what a blast. The game was really FUN.

I used to play the living crap out of Black Ops 1 on the 360, back when MW3 just came out and everybody was complaining about how much it sucked compared to the earlier games. 🤣 It was actually pretty fun and I liked how they did the loadout system, though I was terrible at getting kills or staying alive. Instead, I focused on modes like CTF and headquarters, where I could focus on capturing objectives. I especially liked it back when people still played Hardcore, as it added an extra layer of depth and strategy. I had a loadout designed for taking objectives as fast as possible, without regard for my own safety. 🤣 I've always liked running around and causing mayhem better than being a wuss and camping, and I definitely played with more of a Quake/UT mentality. 😉

About a month ago I dusted off my old 360 and looked to see if anyone still played. It was pretty much just little kids and the occasional hacker. I could have sworn I ran into a modded lobby, because I don't think I was level 50 when I quit playing two years ago. I've never prestiged though, and at this point I don't see the point.

God, now I'm starting to sound like a CoD kiddie. 🤣 Strangely, the only ones I've really enjoyed were Black Ops 1, and what little I've played of MW2. CoD4 seemed boring the only time I tried it, MW3 had stupid overpowered weapons along with a retarded unlock system and this annoying stunlocking whenever you got shot, and Black Ops 2 was OK, but kinda slow, and the sci-fi aesthetic didn't appeal to me as much as the Cold War theme of the first game.

Reply 23 of 37, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Never played COD, except the first one, on PC, and I never beat that, cause I found the campaign..... well....
Not very exciting, for a fps of its time.
I don't understand at all why it was successful, some sort of wildly appealing console marketing I assume, since that is where it is prevalent today.

I know these casual COD players are very rude, when you encounter them in other online games. Does not matter their age... ok it does somewhat, College level "Brosters" or whatever they want to be called seem to be the worst and simply rudest people I ever encounter online.

I definitely have a get off my lawn opinion toward them.

Reply 24 of 37, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorry I never played the campaign 😊

MP only, MP BLOPS2 was simply fun.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 25 of 37, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

Also that railgun camping attitude has been really part of the playerbase since Quake2. There's always that one person (and more!) diving into the water in Q2DM1 for it. those camping llamas

I never liked Q3 much, except for one particular mod that I've forgotten the name of. It was railgun only, and hit players would 'freeze' for several seconds instead of dying, but could be 'unfrozen' by teammates. I played that hardcore for several months before moving on to other things.

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.

Reply 28 of 37, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Untrue. I only played the first Call of Duty, but I can say with a straight face that bolt-action rifle is such a pain in close-quarter combat, that finding an SMG in such situation is really a treat. Heck, even a pistol is better in such situation than the slow-firing bolt-action rifle. On the other hand, having only SMG in open air while the Germans uses Kar98k is an equal pain.

I never carry anything in any of the Call Of Duty or Medal Of Honor games that doesn't have a full auto setting except for the mandatory sidearm that usually can't be swapped out. I can pull off a headshot equally well with a Kar98 or an Stg44 and you can still clear a room full of enemies with the Stg that you couldn't do with a single shot rifle. It's one of the best weapons you can stumble across in any of those WW2 shooters.

http://callofduty.wikia.com/wiki/STG-44

Reply 29 of 37, by sunaiac

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wonder no more : if a COD kiddie was to try quake, he would change the rules to make them those of COD :

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/08/28/qu … ng/#more-229899

R9 3900X/X470 Taichi/32GB 3600CL15/5700XT AE/Marantz PM7005
i7 980X/R9 290X/X-Fi titanium | FX-57/X1950XTX/Audigy 2ZS
Athlon 1000T Slot A/GeForce 3/AWE64G | K5 PR 200/ET6000/AWE32
Ppro 200 1M/Voodoo 3 2000/AWE 32 | iDX4 100/S3 864 VLB/SB16

Reply 30 of 37, by Holering

User metadata

Judging from the Call of Duty on PS3, I'd have to say he/she would probably get PWNED (HOOOLLLLYY $HIT) 🤣. Unless they're used to 190 degree turns in split seconds continuously and extreme sniping precision from all the way across, I don't think anyone would manage without cheating or an aim bot. Joining clans was really tough back in the day. It was pretty well known to drop resolution to get 200+ fps with a high refresh rate (120hz+) because it wasn't such a choppy bottleneck to response and focus. Quake 3 was a fast paced FPS and it played arcade style; good old competition to see who was the best. Ever since Quake 4 I haven't seen Quake quite the same or playable (even Quake 2 was fast). Cinematic graphics are fine, but when you want to do some fragging it's not cool to make things slow and stiff (and cap framerate to 60 FPS).

Counter Strike was another popular game in that day. It was somewhat harder because of the headshots and slow movements at times IMO. Gamers with Counter Strike would probably PWN COD kiddies for sure, unless it's COD on the PC maybe.

Reply 31 of 37, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm terrible at CS, but if I play enough where I get into a "groove" for a while, I can actually be alright (well, alright for a casual 😜). On CoD, I'm terrible at getting kills or avoiding being killed, but I can practically capture flags in my sleep. Of course, most of my opponents probably don't care about the objectives and just want to look cool and show off their "mad quickscoping skillz" or whatever, hence why I'm usually one of the ONLY people who even bothers trying to capture flags.

As for Quake 3, I just stick to playing against bots because it's nearly impossible to find any servers that still play vanilla, and I'm not a terribly big fan of most of the mods I've played. As well, I've tried to learn how to strafejump multiple times, but I keep screwing it up. I prefer UT 99 for online play since the mods are more fun and I can keep up to other players more easily.

Reply 32 of 37, by Holering

User metadata

A game I was terrible at was Unreal Tournament 2003-2004. There was double strafe jumping and double dashing! It was darn hard and difficult. I was never good at that game. It wasn't too bad single player but it was meant to be multiplayer (and it was darn nice multiplayer game with vehicles and what not). Was one of those games that made me wish I was a better player cause it was so fun, and it had the most impressive levels I had ever seen in a FPS. Honestly think that game is the hardest FPS in the world to master. IMO it puts Quake 3 and Counter Strike to shame.

Reply 34 of 37, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

actually I know someone from the "CoD generation" , whos actually very good when it comes to CoD or Battlefield.
when I let him try Quake3 single player on the other hand, he had a lot of difficulty beating a single match.

Reply 36 of 37, by awgamer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Holering wrote:

A game I was terrible at was Unreal Tournament 2003-2004. There was double strafe jumping and double dashing! It was darn hard and difficult. I was never good at that game. It wasn't too bad single player but it was meant to be multiplayer (and it was darn nice multiplayer game with vehicles and what not). Was one of those games that made me wish I was a better player cause it was so fun, and it had the most impressive levels I had ever seen in a FPS. Honestly think that game is the hardest FPS in the world to master. IMO it puts Quake 3 and Counter Strike to shame.

Preferred UT over quake, five of us IT guys would play it. I loved finding the cracks that let you do things like run on the wall/edge of a map, unusual sniping points, etc.

Reply 37 of 37, by m1919

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OP on that forum is a tool. He's comparing games that aren't even remotely in the same ballpark, even if they're both FPS games.

Last CoD game I played was World at War, mostly just for the zombie mode. None of the CoD games that came after have interested me enough to play. I was more into Battlefield, but that series turned into a DLC infested, artificially segregated (premium player), pay-to-win shitfest after Bad Company 2.

Crimson Tide - EVGA 1000P2; ASUS Z10PE-D8 WS; 2x E5-2697 v3 14C 3.8 GHz on all cores (All core hack); 64GB Samsung DDR4-2133 ECC
EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3; EVGA 750 Ti SC; Sound Blaster Z