VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've got a i7-2600K that I keep at stock 3.2, since I've got the stock heatsink/fan on it. I've been eyeballing with the Noctua NH-U12P SE2 or Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO, since I wanna take my CPU up to 4-4/5GHz. It's a little more, but s CORSAIR Hydro Series H80i, if it's better than the Noctuas, or have space issues in the CPU area of my mobo.

I do a LOT of network simulation on this box, and have multiple Virtualbox VMs tied into a GNS3 simulation running multiple instances of Cisco routers, switches, CME, etc... . so I can use all the speed I can get. I need to double the ram, too, but that's my next upgrade.

Reply 3 of 6, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Expensive but you get what you pay for and they are some of the best. A Lot better than the more generic stuff out there but personally I want more copper than what is in modern coolers these days.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 4 of 6, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Agree with the two posts above. I have a Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler with an i7 4770K CPU on my desktop PC.
No matter how hard I push it the CPU stays cool, I have a permanent 20% CPU overclock using the latest bios revision of the G1 Sniper 5 board.

Expensive CPU Cooler but thoroughly recommended.

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 5 of 6, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I like their fans, but.... they are really overpriced, just because they look like a wooden air-plane prop.
But other then that they preform well as similar quality Sunon or something.

Reply 6 of 6, by meisterister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry for the bump, but this is one of the cases where I have a bit of personal experience:

I own a NH-D14, and here is my take on the situation given:

Pros:
It's basically the best air cooler you can buy. It can compete with the lower end of the water cooling spectrum.
It can keep my FX8350 (an already power-hungry CPU) from cooking itself @ 5GHz.
It's not water cooling, namely I don't have to be paranoid about the coolant or whether or not the system is leaking.

Cons:
It's really expensive. If you aren't using the system 5 years from now (which is the real draw of air cooling), just get a cheapo water cooling setup.
It's flipping gigantic. You need to have a lot of open room in your case + RAM without much the way of heatsinks.

Dual Katmai Pentium III (450 and 600MHz), 512ish MB RAM, 40 GB HDD, ATI Rage 128 | K6-2 400MHz / Pentium MMX 166, 80MB RAM, ~2GB Quantum Bigfoot, Awful integrated S3 graphics.