VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by TELEPACMAN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Would you use a Windows 98 machine to store your data before you back it up to optical media?

Reply 1 of 12, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't see why not. However when it comes to data I would put more trust in modern computers. More reliable I guess.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 12, by TELEPACMAN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

If it's a 110gb+ drive, hell no

😒 win98 limit is 120GB, what happens above 110GB?

I was thinking of getting two of those spinpoint pata 120GB

Reply 5 of 12, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Writing past that mark leads to corruption of the file allocation table, and massive dataloss. If I was stuck with a drive that big in a 9x computer I would only partition up to 80gb just to be safe.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 12, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If that Win9x Machine is using a 3rd party sata controller for a large drive, its perfectly safe to store large amounts of data.
You won't have problems accessing it.
I have 4 large drives on a Promise Fasttrax S150 TX4 PCI raid controller and it has no problems accessing the data, nor has it ever corrupted it.
Under Windows ME

Now its a different story with on-board IDE, and large ATA\100\133 drives.
I would partition those into 80gb chunks.

Last edited by AlphaWing on 2014-08-16, 00:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 9 of 12, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Above 80gb for the IDE.
But if your talking about the promise controller, I Have 4 WD 500GB drives on it atm. There not in raid, and partitioned as single drives.
That machine dualboots ME\XP I use it for file storage. Its a 1.4ghz Tualatin. Most of the time its in XP mode but, when I switch it over to ME. I have no problems with it.
Sorry for edits grammer is bad tonight.

Reply 10 of 12, by TELEPACMAN

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

😀 I was talking about the promise controller. You can access 2TB on windowsME? Is this the same with win98? What does win9x does with NTFS?
I see new possibilities 😁

Reply 11 of 12, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

9x Ignores NTFS partitions.
They are individual Fat32 500 GB partitions, As I'm not using the raid controller in raid mode 🤣 .
Just as a standard Sata controller.
I dunno about 98se, I have never tried with a drive above 250gb on it, and that was an IDE ATA\133 Maxtor drive.
It had to be partitioned into chunks or it would corrupt things.

This particular Tualatin mobo that I use for filestorage does not like 98se, it has stability issues, but has little issue with ME go figure.

Last edited by AlphaWing on 2014-08-16, 01:09. Edited 3 times in total.