Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Would this be a good amplifier for my Sony speakers? I have the following:
4x SS-V305 , Front and rear , 100W 8 ohm
1x SS-CN305 , Center , 120W 8 ohm
1x SA-W305G , Active subwoofer , 60W

I can get it for 100 euro.

Last edited by Stojke on 2014-08-16, 08:59. Edited 1 time in total.

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 1 of 9, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does it work? Got any specs? (I couldn't find anything easily with a fast search)

In general if those speakers are 8 ohms (eight ohms - if it makes mine a smiley-face too) they should be compatible with a very wide range of amplifiers, so you shouldn't have any problems there. Then it's just a matter of does the given amp put out enough power to give you your desired SPL levels + headroom given the speakers' sensitivity rating. Also make sure it has all the inputs you need (at least audio-wise).

Reply 3 of 9, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That i understand from the technical specification of the integrated amplifier.
What I am wondering is this amplifier good for the money i can get it for 😀

Reply 4 of 9, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Logistics wrote:

If you run it in Stereo, both L and R have 50W RMS, but in 5-channel, every output is 40W RMS

Isn't bad at all for an AVR. How much is "average" for a used receiver in your part of the world Stojke? 100 EUR (according to Wolfram) is around $130 US, which is pretty typical for a used AV receiver, and older H/K tends to be reasonable quality stuff - if everything works like it should I don't see why it wouldn't be a good choice. At 40W you'd be okay unless the speakers are heavily insensitive or you need extreme SPLs.

Reply 5 of 9, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Stojke, could you post the specs of your speakers? Especially the sensitivity parameter.

You see, many modern amplifiers are overrating their output power. But on the other hand, you don't really need too much power for your everyday listening (depending on your speaker's sensitivity rating).

Let's say your speaker's sensitivity is 87 dB/watt/meter. You sit 5 meters from your speakers, and you want to hear 85 dBSPL at your listening position. Now let's use Crown Power Calculator. According to the calculator, you merely need 31 watt rms to achieve such loudness from your listening position.

It should be noted that the Crown Power Calculator has already included 3dB headroom. If you assume you only need 0 dB headroom (typical of highly compressed music today), then you only need 16 watt rms.

By the way, 85 dBSPL is quite loud IMO. IIRC it is the safe upper limit for prolonged listening. Louder than that, and you may damage your hearing.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 6 of 9, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
Stojke, could you post the specs of your speakers? Especially the sensitivity parameter. […]
Show full quote

Stojke, could you post the specs of your speakers? Especially the sensitivity parameter.

You see, many modern amplifiers are overrating their output power. But on the other hand, you don't really need too much power for your everyday listening (depending on your speaker's sensitivity rating).

Let's say your speaker's sensitivity is 87 dB/watt/meter. You sit 5 meters from your speakers, and you want to hear 85 dBSPL at your listening position. Now let's use Crown Power Calculator. According to the calculator, you merely need 31 watt rms to achieve such loudness from your listening position.

It should be noted that the Crown Power Calculator has already included 3dB headroom. If you assume you only need 0 dB headroom (typical of highly compressed music today), then you only need 16 watt rms.

By the way, 85 dBSPL is quite loud IMO. IIRC it is the safe upper limit for prolonged listening. Louder than that, and you may damage your hearing.

Keep in mind for those kinds of power estimates that's a continuous tone at that target - that's not a typical listening situation. Normally actual power draw will be lower because you aren't pushing all of the speakers all the way up all the time (i.e. a movie or game won't do that). So while it's good to plan X wattage based on your target SPLs, you won't be using all of that power constantly (essentially if the amplifier can deliver that to 1 or 2 channels at a time it's probably okay, vs can it do ACD at whatever needed spec). It's generally best to put in whatever your peak desired value is for the target SPLs - for movies that's usually 20 dB of headroom over wherever you'd like to listen, but most modern music doesn't even approach that much dynamic range. 😵

So essentially I would say figure out what 60-80 dB will require given your speakers, multiply it by 100, and there's 20 dB of head room. You might be surprised how far 30-40W can actually go with most speakers assuming you aren't sitting 5-10 meters away. 😊

Reply 7 of 9, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Cool replies. Ok, for start, this is the receiver : AVR 3000
The speakers have the following technical characteristics: SS-V305, SA-W305G

I understand a little about the ratings of both speakers and amplifiers these days, and the whole RMS power thing.
I should have mentioned at start that these aren't normal speakers (two system, three system), but an 5.1 single driver per box system (except the center where there are two drivers installed).
Here is an picture of them (from the net): Speakers

The speakers are in my room, they are going to be hung onto the wall in each corner probably, or two in front with center and two on side.
My room is around this big (but sadly not as awesome 🤣 ) : Room

The sound source will be my computer, and possibly retro computers as well.
I don't need them to be very loud, but I do like to occasionally play a nice song a bit louder when i can.

Reply 8 of 9, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
obobskivich wrote:
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
Stojke, could you post the specs of your speakers? Especially the sensitivity parameter. […]
Show full quote

Keep in mind for those kinds of power estimates that's a continuous tone at that target - that's not a typical listening situation. Normally actual power draw will be lower because you aren't pushing all of the speakers all the way up all the time (i.e. a movie or game won't do that). So while it's good to plan X wattage based on your target SPLs, you won't be using all of that power constantly (essentially if the amplifier can deliver that to 1 or 2 channels at a time it's probably okay, vs can it do ACD at whatever needed spec). It's generally best to put in whatever your peak desired value is for the target SPLs - for movies that's usually 20 dB of headroom over wherever you'd like to listen, but most modern music doesn't even approach that much dynamic range. 😵

So essentially I would say figure out what 60-80 dB will require given your speakers, multiply it by 100, and there's 20 dB of head room. You might be surprised how far 30-40W can actually go with most speakers assuming you aren't sitting 5-10 meters away. 😊

Indeed. My 32 watt rms Sansui A-40 drives the JBL 120Tis pretty well - though not as effortless as the AU-7900. 😀

Stojke wrote:
Cool replies. Ok, for start, this is the receiver : AVR 3000 The speakers have the following technical characteristics: SS-V305, […]
Show full quote

I understand a little about the ratings of both speakers and amplifiers these days, and the whole RMS power thing.
I should have mentioned at start that these aren't normal speakers (two system, three system), but an 5.1 single driver per box system (except the center where there are two drivers installed).

The speakers are in my room, they are going to be hung onto the wall in each corner probably, or two in front with center and two on side.
My room is around this big (but sadly not as awesome 🤣 ) : Room

The sound source will be my computer, and possibly retro computers as well.
I don't need them to be very loud, but I do like to occasionally play a nice song a bit louder when i can.

Single driver per box, eh? Then I guess they should be quite sensitive since there's no crossover involved. So no worry. You could still Google for "Sony SS-V305 specs" if you really want to know their sensitivity. 😀

EDIT: wait, I overlooked the specs you posted. So it's 86 dB/watt/meters. Okay, quite inefficient, but the room doesn't appear to be too large either. The distance from the TV to the sofa is probably four meters, so I guess you're good to go.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 9 of 9, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stojke wrote:

Very helpful, thanks! 😎

From the specs shown they look like 8R speakers that are decently sensitive (86 dB/W isn't great, but it isn't awful). As long as you aren't more than a meter or two back (picture looks like that should be true) you shouldn't have any problems with 40Wpc. 😀

Nothing wrong with the satellite/sub model of speakers either.