VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There's a pretty well-developed futuristic racing game genre, be it on consoles, or on PC. Games like F-Zero, Dethkarz, Rollcage, Space Haste all seem to have similarities. Considering how many racing games of that kind there are, it is reasonable to assume that people used to love that stuff.

Usually, when something is popular, Hollywood rushes in to milk it. So... are there any movies based on futuristic racing? Because the only one that I can think about is Speed Racer (2008). It's not like it's a prime example of a racing movie either, to be honest...

Anybody know any other flicks like that?

Reply 3 of 14, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Death Race 2000 of course. In fact, it was probably this movie that inspired all those games. (Just like Rollerball inspired a bunch of futuristic sports/arena games like Speedball)

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.

Reply 4 of 14, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That would be a great example of what I'm looking for. I don't normally watch movies older than from the 80s but I think I'll make an exception in this case, thanks.

Any other ideas?

Reply 6 of 14, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah that one apparently doesn't focus as much on the futuristic part as on the crime part. The drivers are convicted felons who are forced to fight for survivor by their prison warden. From what I gather, in the 1975 version isn't quite like that.

Reply 8 of 14, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just watched the first episode and the main problem I have with it is that it shouts out too much exposition too quickly. Hopefully will get better. Watching a cartoon makes me feel kinda weird... but oh well, I enjoyed it.

Reply 9 of 14, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The speedracer movie is based on the cartoon.

Also FreeJack

Not a futuristic race car driving movie tho....but still worth watching.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 10 of 14, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Definitely will check out FreeJack.

Also, watching the nascar cartoon inspired me to look for racing animes, and so far I'm puking rainbows. There are so many! Watching Cyber Formula atm.

Reply 11 of 14, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Death Race remake is entertaining enough - it has sequels as well (I've not seen them, however). There's also Speed Racer and the Rollerball remake. I'm also thinking of The Running Man and Gamer - neither is explicitly about automotive racing, but have a similar feel (imho) to Rollerball or Death Race. You might also give Drive Angry or Ghost Rider a look. Maybe also Tron (and its sequel) - not explicitly "racing" but they do have lightcycles.

Reply 12 of 14, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The original 1970s version of Death Race 2000 is fucking hilarious. I don't even know how anyone could remake that movie. It's so bad it's good.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium