VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The first was a strategic DOS space exploration game from c. 1995. All I remember about it was that it featured spaceships called 'Conestogas'. Unusual name which stuck in my memory. I think it was shareware.

The second is a sci-fi RTS Windows game from c. 2000. Fast action, loud continuous music, and when you got a particular powerup the game would say "PSYCHOSIS" in an insane voice. This was a demo from a magazine IIRC.

Does any of this sound familiar to anyone?

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.

Reply 2 of 16, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No Ascendancy looks pretty sophisticated. This game OTOH was more basic. It was a magazine disk freebie.

Outlive looks very similar to StarCraft. This game was different to both: it had larger sprites and faster movement

Reply 5 of 16, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

^^ I think you've nailed 7th Legion correctly. I'll need to play it to be sure but it does look familiar.

Outpost 2 also features a ship called 'Conestoga' but it's not either of the games I'm thinking of. The RTS had bigger/blockier sprites I recall.

The DOS game was more strategic-like than Solar Winds. Sort of SimCity in space, with exploration/colonisation of planets. There were some action elements but they weren't central.

Reply 6 of 16, by mwenek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think the space game with the "Conestoga" was Spaceward HO! It was a western-themed 3X game for Windows back in the middle 1990's.

Win98SE Box: PIII 850, 128MB, 8 GB HDD, CL Live!, ATI 9600XT, 2x Diamond Voodoo 2 8MB
DOS Box: Intel 80 Mhz P24T Socket 3 OD, 16MB, 128MB CF Drive, Number 9 VLB, SiiG VLB IDE, SoundBlaster 16 ISA/WaveBlaster

Reply 8 of 16, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
2fort5r wrote:

^^ I think you've nailed 7th Legion correctly. I'll need to play it to be sure but it does look familiar.

Outpost 2 also features a ship called 'Conestoga' but it's not either of the games I'm thinking of. The RTS had bigger/blockier sprites I recall.

The DOS game was more strategic-like than Solar Winds. Sort of SimCity in space, with exploration/colonisation of planets. There were some action elements but they weren't central.

The first Imperium Galactica maybe?

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/imperium-galactica

Reply 10 of 16, by mwenek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is a paragraph from wikipedia on the game Lightspeed from 1990:

The player must help recolonize the human race after the Earth's habitability is critically reduced by an ecological catastrophe. The entire human race is being housed in huge Conestoga-class colony ships, which are waiting for the player to secure at least one planet with an Earth-like environment and to also acquire enough material resources to ensure that the colony or colonies in question can build a fledgling industrial base as soon as possible.

The sequel Hyperspeed had them mentioned too.

Win98SE Box: PIII 850, 128MB, 8 GB HDD, CL Live!, ATI 9600XT, 2x Diamond Voodoo 2 8MB
DOS Box: Intel 80 Mhz P24T Socket 3 OD, 16MB, 128MB CF Drive, Number 9 VLB, SiiG VLB IDE, SoundBlaster 16 ISA/WaveBlaster

Reply 11 of 16, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Such a ship apparently exists in the Star Trek universe, so there are probably lots of games that reference it, and a large number of similar games like this were produced in the 1990s:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_4X_video_games

I don't think it's any of those, though. This was an obscure shareware/magazine coverdisk release IIRC.

Reply 12 of 16, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
2fort5r wrote:

Such a ship apparently exists in the Star Trek universe, so there are probably lots of games that reference it, and a large number of similar games like this were produced in the 1990s:.

That's what I originally thought of, however it wasn't first referenced/created until ENT came out (which kicks it out of the 1990s), and according to Memory Beta the only game to reference it is ST Legacy (which came out in 2006).

Outpost 2 is what I thought of as well; any chance you're remembering the original though?

Reply 13 of 16, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
2fort5r wrote:

The first was a strategic DOS space exploration game from c. 1995. All I remember about it was that it featured spaceships called 'Conestogas'. Unusual name which stuck in my memory. I think it was shareware.

Conestoga? Are you sure it wasn't Microprose's Lightspeed? But it was 1990 instead of 1995.

The ship we're using in Lightspeed is named 'Trailblazer', but the manual mentions that the Trailblazer is the forward scouting ship for the larger ship named 'Conestoga'.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 14 of 16, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No Lightspeed seems to be a Star Raiders type space shoot-em-up. I've had a look at the two Outposts and they don't look familiar either. It wasn't an RTS game and graphics were 2D and basic.

What I'll probably have to do is try and track down the magazine that the game came on.

Reply 16 of 16, by diode

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been looking for a game very similar to what the op is looking for.

The background story is similar to lightspeed. But I think the people in the ships didn't have bodies and there was also a meter that measured their psychosis I believe. The ship you commanded had like small drones you could deploy that would loop around the ship for defense. The main part of the game was exploring different suns and planets and such.