VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Went out on the weekly trash run earlier today, and found these at one of my local dumps:

UyWa1bw.jpg
nVidia GeForce FX 5950 Ultra - Don't know what I'm going to use this in yet.

vjwOocW.jpg
ASUS P4S8X-MX motherboard

in addition to a Pentium 4 2.8GHz with 400MHz FSB, 2 512MB sticks of DDR400, and a literally no-name 450W PSU, all in a Dell Dimension 2300 case that was in really bad shape. Haven't tested any of this stuff yet, will post back when I do test this stuff.

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 1 of 17, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks like a decent enough haul, except for the fact that that board is running a SiS chipset. I haven't had the best experiences wih SiS chipsets myself, but being that it's on an ASUS board with a relatively decent set of features, I could be wrong. Aside from that, it sounds like you could assemble a nice early-2000s gaming rig with this setup. You might even be able to run Windows 98, which I find is blazing fast on a P4 system, though you may have trouble getting sound in DOS games, since a lot of P4 chipsets don't support NMIs on the PCI bus.

Reply 2 of 17, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Keep that graphics card!

Perfect for playing older Windows games with graphics enhancing features turned on. Also: Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 17, by swampfox

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

9zlzwh.jpg
Had some trash finds recently myself. Also have yet to test them.

32MB Matrox G450 DualHead AGP
3Com Etherlink XL PCI 10/100 BASE-T4 NIC
16MB 3DFx Voodoo 3 3000 AGP (already have a couple, though)
4MB Diamond Stealth 3D 2000 [S3 ViRGE/325] PCI (already have one as well, but this is a later revision)
IntraServer ITI-6100L PCI SCSI Controller. Wish I had something that used SCSI.

Swampfox's Computing - Google+ and YouTube: https://plus.google.com/108854180391399268575

Reply 6 of 17, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice find on the 5950, as for the board I have a copy of that one myself. Going to use it with a northwood mobile someday as it wouldn't be good for much else having only three vrm phases for the cpu.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 7 of 17, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
carlostex wrote:

Wish i could find those treasures in my local trash...

Same, but its actually illegal in my state in the USA to "Trash Pick" this is how strong a hold the e-waste recycling industry has on it, and one of the reasons its so dang hard to find anything Pre-P4 era now. They even advertise constantly to "git rid of your old eLeCtRoNiCs" on Over the air TV.

Reply 8 of 17, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AlphaWing wrote:

Same, but its actually illegal in my state in the USA to "Trash Pick" this is how strong a hold the e-waste recycling industry has on it, and one of the reasons its so dang hard to find anything Pre-P4 era now. They even advertise constantly to "git rid of your old eLeCtRoNiCs" on Over the air TV.

I'm honestly surprised trash picking isn't illegal in my state. At least, it doesn't seem to be. Then again, I don't find computers at my local dumps that often; I normally find stuff like old keyboards and CRT monitors usually with the VGA cables cut off.

Reply 9 of 17, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There used to be a local recycling center around here with a decent e-waste pile that my friends and I would often dig through, but it's gone now. D: I'm still kicking myself for not taking some of the cool stuff I've seen there. For a while they had everything from 486 boxes to P4 systems, and even a few oddities like a busted-up Commodore Vic 20. Over time however, they eventually started stripping the systems of parts like hard drives (which I perfectly understand), then even RAM sticks and CPUs. Around the same time, all of the really vintage stuff started disappearing, and eventually the whole place went out of business and got sold to someone with no interest in the e-waste angle.

Reply 10 of 17, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good news everybody. I did go ahead and test my trash finds, and everything worked!

cypxiGo.jpg
AQJMMhK.jpg
IqenHgp.jpg
iHzxb2e.jpg

The only catch in all this is that the RAM keeps on being detected as 736MB (768MB - 32MB shared with the onboard video) instead of 1GB. Don't know what's going on with that, but otherwise, it all does work.

Reply 11 of 17, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Look what followed me home from the dump this week...

G1VqiB9.jpg
ocLZ4O1.jpg

And a look at the inside...
tgxBEht.jpg
C1xk37n.jpg

Haven't tested it out yet, and I don't know the specs, outside of the 2.1GB Western Digital hard drive it has. Looks like a Pentium MMX though. Surprisingly has no 72-pin RAM slots, being a Socket 7 system.

Reply 13 of 17, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sincerely i can't find any interest in P4 systems. Early ones were crap and easily beaten by Athlon XP. Then Northwood was a little better but still not as good and stable as Athlon 64. Prescotts were actually worse. And P4's are probably the most common hardware you can find, so no harm done in letting these systems in the bin, specially OEM crap.

As for being illegal trash picking let's imagine this. Let's say you would find an AdLib Gold among the thrash and a police officer catches you right in the moment. What would you do? Explain that it is an extremely rare card and it holds a lot of history and value? Would you pay a fine but at least keep the card? What could be done in such a situation?

Reply 14 of 17, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
carlostex wrote:

Sincerely i can't find any interest in P4 systems. Early ones were crap and easily beaten by Athlon XP. Then Northwood was a little better but still not as good and stable as Athlon 64. Prescotts were actually worse. And P4's are probably the most common hardware you can find, so no harm done in letting these systems in the bin, specially OEM crap.

I might have mentioned this in another thread, but I've gotten to the point where if I see a P4 system at the dump, I automatically pass on it, with maybe one or two exceptions. Athlon XP would probably be the absolute latest I would pick up. Anything newer would vary from system to system.

Reply 15 of 17, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good news on the Dell OptiPlex GXi: it works! Here it is with its younger sibling, the GXa, on top:

THWyI3K.jpg
KE3TQI8.jpg

Specs:

Intel Pentium 200MHz (non-MMX)
Intel 430HX
32MB RAM
2.1GB Western Digital hard drive
S3 Trio 64V+ video
Crystal CS4236B audio
Manufactured April 1997

It seemed to have a bugged installation of Windows 98SE on it, so I have decided to format the drive and put 95 on it.

Reply 16 of 17, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Sutekh94 wrote:
Look what followed me home from the dump this week... […]
Show full quote

Look what followed me home from the dump this week...

G1VqiB9.jpg
ocLZ4O1.jpg

And a look at the inside...
tgxBEht.jpg
C1xk37n.jpg

Haven't tested it out yet, and I don't know the specs, outside of the 2.1GB Western Digital hard drive it has. Looks like a Pentium MMX though. Surprisingly has no 72-pin RAM slots, being a Socket 7 system.

One of my favorite proprietary cases. The slot 1 GX1 models make for better upgrading, though.