VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looking at buying a new motherboard but I see that many of the various drivers are only listed for Windows 7 and not for Vista. I saw somewhere that Vista drivers were supposed to work in 7 [by design] so would the reverse be true?

Or is it going to be something that was maybe true when 7 first came out? Or is it more realistic to expect it to be a matter of suck it and see on a case by case basis?

Reason for asking: I have a Vista 64 Ultimate licence available. Improvements in 7 compared to Vista won't matter for this machine.

Reply 1 of 1, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It may work, it may not. I think it's a similar situation to 2k/XP drivers - in theory it can work, but you may run into some problems if the installer doesn't like what you're doing, if there's some dependency that Vista can't install (Microsoft has started to deprecate Vista in some areas), etc. I only base this on Vista drivers not always being perfect in 7.

My advice would be to try searching for whatever model board you have along with something like "Windows Vista compatibility" or similar, and see if you can find people reporting it works or not.