VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi what capture cards for capturing video and audio from an older computer exist out there? I'm looking around but I'm not sure what I'm really looking at to be honest and I'm not seeing many with VGA ports. 😒

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1 of 3, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
King_Corduroy wrote:

Hi what capture cards for capturing video and audio from an older computer exist out there? I'm looking around but I'm not sure what I'm really looking at to be honest and I'm not seeing many with VGA ports. 😒

Hi!

A few that people use are VGA to S-Video converters and capturing S-Video (I used this heaps in the past). This is a very cheap solution with average quality. The AVerMedia Game Broadcaster HD is also quite affordable and does digital and analogue. Not ideal for MS-DOS resolutions however (Me and Vetz have this one). And the "king" is the VGA2PCIe, a $1000+ capture card that does everything (Elinda, Schlang and ReeseRiverson have this one).

There are existing threads on these products so you might want to run a search and read up on them.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 3, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SquallStrife wrote:

WRT the Game Broadcaster HD, you say "not ideal"... can it be coaxed into working?

Yes and vetz explained it well in one of his threads. But it's worth pointing out that out of the box it won't capture 320 x 200 and command prompt footage. It also struggles with some Voodoo cards, for example V2 at 800 x 600.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel