Common searches

OA3

Topic actions

First post, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's what i've been working on lately, because this sucks. It's old, messy and needs a critical original refresh that does not change the rules unlike some other game out there

Engine doesn't work on 9X atm, requires XP, and I hate the regressions that have occured to it. I wish I had help on that (working TCP network code for Win9X that is, and perhaps the restoration of the startup console window to reimplement the old crash handler instead of the "Copy to clipboard?" crap it has now.)

GNU GPLV2.

Target machine is a 6th generation PC with a 3d accellerator like a Voodoo or PCX2. A part of the new art direction is to have art easily adaptable/collapsable to the limits of early 3d cards, and to have less bloat overall (no RoQs or streaming music).

That's as short as I could put it. I don't like to plug things, but I need some legacy fixes for this one so it can be more useful for this community 😀

EDIT: The engine only works on Windows98SE when you have KernelEx installed. I'd like to not use KernelEx so it would still support Win95 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 2 of 28, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There is an available playable previous incarnation at least, which should play the same but perform and look worse.

OA3's not released yet since there's not enough weapons modeled ATM. What's left for that at the time of this writing:

- Gauntlet (which will be a drill)(actually modeled but not ingame yet)
- Machinegun (which won't spin)
- Shotgun
- Grenade Launcher
- Rocket Launcher
- Railgun (actually modeled but not ingame yet)

EDIT: I've made this shotgun yesterday.

Attachments

• Filename
    oa3shotty.jpg
    File size
    62.84 KiB
    Downloads
    1 download
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 28, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The shotgun is pretty cool.
Also that claw like thing looks awesome 😁

How is the progress going on this game? Id like to try a better version if it really looks like that one in the video 😀

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 5 of 28, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:
Sorry for forgetting about this thread :( […]
Show full quote

Sorry for forgetting about this thread 🙁

recent progress
lamiafixed.jpg

That model looks quite original actually 😀
I've done some crude modeling years back for TA, but after that I stuck mostly to editing maps and doing some skinning (mostly TA/Spring and BF2).

Btw leileilol, do you happen to, by any chance, also have a stash of some unused models for UT2004 weapons (with skin can be considered a bonus)? A year or 2 ago I basically made a new weapon in UT2004 based on the FEAR Type-7 particle weapon (I even ported the original FEAR firing sound(s) over to UT2004) but as I kinda suck at modeling I just re-used one of the sniper rifles, but having 2 visually identical models for 2 different weapons kinda kept bugging me 🤣!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 28, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

No because i'm not a good weapons modeler. Any weapons you see from me are lucky attempts at resembling a weapon of some sort 🙁

In that case I might just "borrow" a model from some other mod. Since my own mod is private anyway, it doesn't really matter (and even as is, I still used some files from another game already)

But anyway, I'm not a good (weapons) modeler either, though I think modeling weapons would be a lot simpler than modeling stuff like living creatures. I don't think I'm really good at anything, except for putting all kinds of stuff together and somehow it works (eventually 😁)

Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 28, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

sorry, had to do some RL stuffs

speaking of lucky gun attempts I had to try doing one of the most important weapons in the most 'original' way I can while keeping the red/gray scheme

also anyone claiming this is a ripoff of Undyne gets slapped in the face

Attachments

• oa3rlandrogue.jpg
    Filename
    oa3rlandrogue.jpg
    File size
    50.55 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • oa3rlzzzz.jpg
    Filename
    oa3rlzzzz.jpg
    File size
    89.33 KiB
    Views
    File license

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 10 of 28, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was gonna say it looked more like a flak cannon, but I'd rather not get a slap anywhere 😁

Looks pretty nice actually 😀
Is the "circular blast" in the lower screenshot made by your weapon or is that something else (like some portal)?

Last edited by Tetrium on 2016-02-04, 23:53. Edited 1 time in total.

Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 28, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's a rocket exploding on a wall. I tried to shoehorn in optional new particle effects because I could only stand the whole "expanding quad billboard texture sequence" stuff for so long (though that's also still in there as well. options options options).

It has huge issues with its spark physics though, they streak ahead of themselves and often make really long stretchy lines in wrong places.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 12 of 28, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What engine is your explosion effect in? nvm, just read it's kinda a custom engine. I only made explosion effects once in a while. I think I made some cheap enlarged explosions for TA but my later work in BF2 were much more explosive 😁

I was never a really good modeler, but explosion effects can be fun to make provided the tools are fun to work with as well as being good to try different things in.

Report spammers here!

Reply 14 of 28, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
leileilol wrote:

The explosion effect's part of the cgame qvm code here. Everything has to be hardcoded (scripted engine particles are desired, though)

Why does everything have to be hardcoded? "Hardcoded" is one of the least things I'd want to hear when I try to mod something in any game 😜

But anyway, I should go to bed, have to get up early tomorrow 😀

Report spammers here!

Reply 15 of 28, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Because
1. My time isn't plenty
2. Performance. There have been scripted particles in a qvm before...... and the performance weren't pretty. (right now these particles are actually feasible within an approximate Pentium+V1 scenario according to PCem)
3. I failed to implement Harekiet's (yes) engine-side scripted particle system (as seen in Q3MME). because of #1, and gdb sucking, and gcc sucking (errors are kinda hard to read when they're literally undecipherable gibberish)

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 16 of 28, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think you're doing an awesome job, leileilol 😀
My compliments!

Report spammers here!

Reply 18 of 28, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:
.......just because http://leileilol.mancubus.net/models/oa3coverpc.jpg […]
Show full quote

.......just because
oa3coverpc.jpg

Lei-Lei, I like where you are going. 😀

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 19 of 28, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm getting better at making terrain

dmons14s.jpg
dmons16s.jpg

trying to head for 2000-style terrain - that is, little vertex blending, super repeated texture work, and uncanny roundness. Inspired by certain tech demos and Giants 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem