Topic actions

Reply 20 of 28, by Tertz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

I'm getting better at making terrain

Every game should to have something special. Such thing in yours seems to be big tits!
If you'll make them animated, then there will be a noticable improvement above UT.

DOSBox CPU Benchmark
Yamaha YMF7x4 Guide

Reply 21 of 28, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tertz wrote:

Every game should to have something special. Such thing in yours seems to be big tits!
If you'll make them animated, then there will be a noticable improvement above UT.

Wouldn't it be a copyright infringement of Qbix's avatar?

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 22 of 28, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

new fire

I did a trick that gets extra frames from an 8 frame animmap, so this is more animated than the typical fire this replaces

Attachments

• oafire.gif
    Filename
    oafire.gif
    File size
    110.83 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 24 of 28, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wish I released it in 2010, but things are lonely and slow 🙁

though while it was slow it helped me take time to revise one character a bnuch to find an ideal art style working out for my abilities and targeted specs.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 25 of 28, by subhuman@xgtx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

I wish I released it in 2010, but things are lonely and slow 🙁

though while it was slow it helped me take time to revise one character a bnuch to find an ideal art style working out for my abilities and targeted specs.

A one person project is no easy thing you see, but better to know you were able to use that to your advantage. 😀

Is there anything I could for you? Fe. performance testing and bug reporting related? I have about 5/6 systems here ranging from MMXs with V1 4/6mb till a P3 1400 with V2 and M3D, so I'm happy to help if you desire. 😀

7fbns0.png

tbh9k2-6.png

Reply 26 of 28, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

back to work. revised roguess with more better shape and geometry and more finished pants. initial rig without any weight polishings at the moment

Once in awhile I do fire this up in PCem to get an approximate P166+fastV1 system to 'profile' my assets to see how I could make them faster/better. It is my intent to be optimal and avoid the mistakes OA and even Q3 did with their materials
There definitely is a higher polygon count though and LODs on MDRs aren't implemented yet.

EDIT: and now succubus. probably a bit too endowed for someone here 😜

Attachments

• suclegs2.jpg
    Filename
    suclegs2.jpg
    File size
    59.98 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • rogsingame3.jpg
    Filename
    rogsingame3.jpg
    File size
    43.6 KiB
    Views
    File license

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 27 of 28, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OK I'm bumping this because i've been trying to get this back to Windows 95 (no KernelEx and "service packs") and i'm feeling pretty warm right now with some mild success
Cji9WqPWYAE5lzq.jpg:large
I restored the console window, removed a PSAPI dependency (for ONE EnumProcesses function!) and slipped in a wspiapi.h (Winsock2 stuff)

wspiapi.h from reactos used.

(also i've implemented texture pages which helps optimize assets a bit better (and allows animation for alpha modulated stuff, so rage pros and s3 virges aren't left out 😀 ). definitely does bench a little faster in pcem's voodoo graphics emulation now at least)

Also here's an issue tracker.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 28 of 28, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is an old thread I know, i'm still working on this behind the scenes.
What i'm going to focus heavily on now are items. I have benchmark results comparing item models' performances between games, the OA3 items set is largely incomplete at this point (missing models shows how high the performance could potentially be anyhow)

itembench.png
Filename
itembench.png
File size
15.82 KiB
Views
File license
v2items.png
Filename
v2items.png
File size
15.43 KiB
Views
File comment
ARTIFICIAL
File license

Q3's are slower on Pi due to texture usage, while OA's is slower on Voodoo2 due to polygon count (CPU bottleneck as well)

PCem's emulation of the V2 is fairly realistic performance-wise and can also emulate the same cache-thrashing of a real card, so it's a bit of a convenient to test with asset-making wise. I do have real hardware, i'm just lazy at this point

320x240 so the Pi's horrible GL driver doesn't bottleneck (a slow buffer grabbing is involved), and the V2 in the same res allows the same LOD range and such even if it's stuck in the corner.

DISCLAIMER: These charts are NOT "haha voodoo2 pwns the pi!!! 3dfx rulez!" charts and you are a fool if you imterpret them that way

apsosig.png
long live PCem