VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For a while now I had been thinking about buying another PCjr joystick and following the instructions in this hack-a-day article (http://hackaday.com/2013/02/12/converting-an- … oystick-to-usb/) and turn it into a fully functional USB joystick. So last week I ordered the Joystick from a guy who knew nothing about the thing and didn't provide a pic of the cable, so assumed it was a plain old PCjr joystick.
So it came today and to my great surprise the original cable was modified! At first I was quite confused but I quickly realized that this was a vintage hack! Someone back in the day had cut off the original plug and put on a gameport plug. 🤣

Here are the two joysticks side by side, my original PCjr joystick on the left and the new one that came today on the right.

2_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7xap9u.jpg

Here is the new one from the front. I just love these joysticks. 🤣

3_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7xap9p.jpg

Same one from the back.

4_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7xaoqc.jpg

The Modded cable plug.

5_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7xaoq6.jpg

The original PCjr Plug.

8_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7xaopi.jpg

The modded one plugged into a cheap Gameport to USB adapter.

11_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7xaoox.jpg

Myself playing oolite on my Core 2 Duo machine with the PCjr joystick.

1_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7xap9k.jpg

So unbeknownst to me people were making modifications to this joystick long before that hackaday article. 🤣

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 2 of 13, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks, yeah I just couldn't believe my dumb luck in getting one blindly that had already been modified to do what I wanted it to do. 🤣
I just had to show you guys. 😜

Reply 3 of 13, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very nice. Loving the retro clock btw 😀

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 4 of 13, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

🤣 thanks. That was a goodwill find, I fell in love with it right away. Plus it was only 2$ so that helped seal the deal. 😜
It's about the only thing that can get me up in the morning, rather than beep it makes this god awful grinding noise. 🤣

The IBM PCjr joystick is best suited to arcade games it seems. It's sensitivity isn't the greatest and it tends to wing you around. 🤣
I think this could be partially fixed by getting softer centering springs (since you kind of have to wrestle the thing) but it's mainly due to it's method of registering movement.

Reply 6 of 13, by Anonymous Coward

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The Tandy was more or less a copy of the PCjr, so I would guess the PCjr joysticks came first. At least I am pretty sure the joysticks were available upon release.

"Will the highways on the internets become more few?" -Gee Dubya
V'Ger XT|Upgraded AT|Ultimate 386|Super VL/EISA 486|SMP VL/EISA Pentium

Reply 7 of 13, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah the PCjr's joystick came first, this is a pretty common joystick though since Kraft also made some that were identical. I could have used one of those but I like having the IBM logo on it. I imagine they are exactly the same internally though.

Kraft%20Joystick.JPG

Reply 8 of 13, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would also like to tack on this bit of info for anyone wishing to convert one of these joysticks. Here is how he did it basically, I'm quite impressed by how neat and tidy this mod is.

42_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7xfa5o.jpg
So simple a child could do it, but first someone had to think of it. 😜

computer_midi_game_port_by_mad_king_corduroy-d7xfbct.gif
Pinout for the Gameport. I've even gone and colour coded the diagram for quick reference. All you should care about for this mod are pins 1-7.
I should mention that Blue is that silver cable shielding stuff, it's a ground basically.

Reply 9 of 13, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:
Yeah the PCjr's joystick came first, this is a pretty common joystick though since Kraft also made some that were identical. I c […]
Show full quote

Yeah the PCjr's joystick came first, this is a pretty common joystick though since Kraft also made some that were identical. I could have used one of those but I like having the IBM logo on it. I imagine they are exactly the same internally though.

Kraft%20Joystick.JPG

I disagree, because the joysticks for the Tandy 1000 are the the same ones that Tandy used for the Color Computer, which came out in 1980.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 10 of 13, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Great Hierophant wrote:
King_Corduroy wrote:

I disagree, because the joysticks for the Tandy 1000 are the the same ones that Tandy used for the Color Computer, which came out in 1980.

Yeah, I meant the TRS-80, not the Tandy 1000.

Edit: Formatting.

Last edited by SquallStrife on 2014-08-31, 22:47. Edited 2 times in total.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 11 of 13, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh 🤣. Well there you go. Tandy had the joystick first, it seems IBM and tandy borrowed from each other quite a bit then. 😜

Reply 12 of 13, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tandy joysticks are not exactly the same as PC or PCjr. joysticks internally. Tandy sticks connect the third terminal of each potentiometer to ground so that the pot functions as a voltage divider, IBM sticks leave the terminal unconnected so the pot functions as a variable resistor. Its simple to change to the other type.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 13 of 13, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there a difference in sensitivity? Because the PCjr joystick is pretty all or none when it comes to directional movement.