VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As King_Corduroy asked about games with cyberpunk aesthetic, Ballistic came to my mind. The thing about that game is that it's virtually useless except for the fact that you can go insanely fast in it. In fact, you can go supersonic and then some.

So I thought to myself: is this the fastest you can go in a game? Let's find out! Post your speed finds here and we shall see who knows how to go fastest.

Rules:
- The games cannot be modified. Only stock, vanilla games.
- Glitches count, as long as they aren't caused by cheats, mods etc. Let's make this interesting.
- No cheats allowed
- Power-ups are allowed
- Games for every platform count, whether it's PC, a game console or a handheld, it doesn't matter as long as it's technically a game.
- The games need to have some way of clearly indicating speed. It can be mph or kph. If the game doesn't indicate speed in any way or if it just measures it in unknown units, it doesn't count.
- It doesn't matter what you're driving/piloting/controlling, as long as it's a vehicle of some kind, and as long as it's in a racing game. No sims.
- If possible, please provide a screenshot or a video to confirm the speeds.
- Just because you can't find a game in which you can't go faster than the top ones on our little list here, doesn't mean you shouldn't post it anyway.
- You can post as many examples of games as you want.

So here's the current ranking, which I will keep updating as you guys find the fastest stuff:

1. Big Rigs Over the Road Racing - Yeah, as you can see, immediately there's something to take the cake away from Ballistic. Why? Below, I put a link to an AVGN episode showing that in this pathetic excuse for a game you can go outside of the track into a (probably) infinite wasteland, put your truck into reverse, and accelerate to (theoretically) infinite speeds. It might be a glitch but it still counts. This one will be difficult to beat unless you are able to prove that the truck stops accelerating at some point. If not, the next game to take the nr. 1 spot will be one in which you can go to infinite speeds... but accelerating towards them quicker. Good luck with that.

http://cinemassacre.com/2014/03/19/avgn-big-r … he-road-racing/

2. Gran Turismo 3 - Gran Turismo 3 has that "glitch" where you can do silly high speeds in a Suzuki - top speed achieved in the video below: 2147483647km/h (submitted by obobskivich):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqi4xK9gnSk

2. Ballistic - So yeah, as I've said, you can go into mad supersonic speeds with this one. Below is a link to a YouTube video of a guy seamlessly reaching speeds of Mach 3 (as far as I was able to notice). You can probably push the limit beyond that, though. Feel free to share if you've found a video proving that or make one yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaJiPpLzbNg

3. Test Drive 4 - There's a glitch that allows you to go 999mph. (submitted by AlphaWing)

4. Dethkarz - I'll be honest I put it here simply because nothing else comes to my mind atm. As shown in the video below, you can easily reach speeds of well over 300 kph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpk1sv8HTqo

Last edited by Yasashii on 2014-09-09, 06:22. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is an online ring Racing mode in X-wing alliance.
There are also the same style racing ring courses in Tachyon the fringe.
Spacebased star-fighters go really fast 🤣.
Not really fair, as they are measured in Kilometers per second.

Normal racing games that go fast....
F-Zero, Pod, SW-POD racer, Wipeout.... Sure there are more.
Virtua Racing deluxe has a normal car that can go 300kph+
I remember some glitch in Test Drive 4 that would let you go 999mph...

Reply 3 of 7, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Uhh, we're gonna need actual numbers, at least more or less, if we're gonna make this a rating list 😀

Star Wars Episode 1 Racer doesn't count. It doesn't show a unit. I'm not sure when it comes to Power Drome. I can't see a unit in the video (it's blurry). Is there one that I can't see?

btw. the racing mode in X-Wing alliance will count regardless of the unit as long as there is one. Can you give me a number on what kind of speeds more or less you can reach there?

Reply 4 of 7, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Gran Turismo 3 has that "glitch" where you can do silly high speeds in a Suzuki (at least 300 mph - some users on youtube are claiming higher). The "3d universe" GTA games have the "tank glitch" where you can fire the tank "backwards" and accelerate to silly speeds (usually cut short by crashing into something).

Without units (I'm sure if you dug into the equations the game uses you could find some unit though), the player character in Morrowind and Oblivion can be "rigged" to move hilariously fast relative to everything else in the game (by maxing all speed/athletic stats and using in-game items that enhance speed). In Oblivion you can exploit this by enhancing the stats of a horse (possible without console commands, but easier with console commands), and being able to traverse the map at hilarious speeds.

Also, I'm sure there's some Star Trek game where you can travel at warp speeds - not quite infinite velocity, but certainly extremely fast. And in ORB there are ships with "hyperjump" that can travel from A to B instantaneously, and the distance from A to B does not matter. Neither of these would be racing games though.

Here's some videos of the GT3 thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqi4xK9gnSk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTDnnFh3PZ8

And Oblivion (without console commands):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOApRuZgf9I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWNEEtvIHGw

Reply 5 of 7, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
obobskivich wrote:

The "3d universe" GTA games have the "tank glitch" where you can fire the tank "backwards" and accelerate to silly speeds (usually cut short by crashing into something).

Without units (I'm sure if you dug into the equations the game uses you could find some unit though), the player character in Morrowind and Oblivion can be "rigged" to move hilariously fast relative to everything else in the game (by maxing all speed/athletic stats and using in-game items that enhance speed). In Oblivion you can exploit this by enhancing the stats of a horse (possible without console commands, but easier with console commands), and being able to traverse the map at hilarious speeds.

Hmm... originally, I intended for this to be a ranking of strictly racing games but I think it will make more sense to just make it a ranking of video games of any kind. Still though, we're gonna need some numbers on this, and I can't see any right now.

obobskivich wrote:

Also, I'm sure there's some Star Trek game where you can travel at warp speeds - not quite infinite velocity, but certainly extremely fast. And in ORB there are ships with "hyperjump" that can travel from A to B instantaneously, and the distance from A to B does not matter. Neither of these would be racing games though.

Actually, the interesting fact about the warp theory in general is that while you are travelling at warp speed, you are not the thing that's moving. Einstein stated that no object can move faster than light, and as far as we know, he's right about that. That's why to move faster than light, which is what warp speed is all about, you need to move timespace around you, rather than yourself.

To do that, you need a device that literally bends timespace around you to form a warp bubble. Then, to go forwards, you simply warp more and more timespace in such a way that you create like a wave and you become the surfing board on that wave. So at the end of the day, even if you travel from one end of the galaxy to another in under 5 minutes, you still haven't actually moved an inch. The world around you has.

Now as for hyperjump, it's a different situation, but I'm not sure whether it should count. Making a hyperjump, according to the theory, requires you to enter hyperspace, which is an alternative region of space co-existing with our own universe which may be entered using an energy field or other device, (according to Wikipedia). Err... let's just stick to our own, normal dimension, shall we?