VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was asked to recommend a couple of programs (which happens enough to make me wish I had a fiver for every time!), and I didn't know offhand either type of program, but since work is slow ATM, I've tried a few, and UK's Kalender and Free Youtube Download seem to do what was asked for. So I thought that since we've not had a "Useful Windows programs" thread in a while, that I'd create one now.

Please post any Windows programs (not games, but anything else that you find interesting, please), preferably free, but also shareware or professional if they're worth the cash. And if you post something that you think is better than a similar program in someone else's post, then please post why you think it's better.

Here are some programs that I use (except for the first two listed, I'm new to those), and that I put on new/fixed PCs that go through my hands, if needed. All of these are either free or have free versions that contain the functions that you need. Just google for them.

UK's Kalender - displays a calander on boot up (and whenever you want to see it, of course) and can be used to set reminders, even in the form of an event that's every x days (or weeks).

Free Youtube Download - allows you to queue up Youtube videos to download, and then to automatically convert them to different formats.

7Zip - archiver/dearchiver (uses the usual formats, such as zip, 7z, rar, etc).

VLC - Movie player.

WinAMP - Music player (yes, it's ancient, but it does what I want it to, so whay change?).

Irfanview - image viewer.

Format Factory - movie/music converter.

Calibre - ebook viewer and converter.

FileLocator Lite - searches for files on your discs, a better file finder than Windows' own.

Treesize - shows you how much space different folders and files take up on your hard drive.

Unlocker - deletes or moves files that Windows refuses to.

Avast! - anti-virus and anti-malware software.

Malwarebytes Anti-malware - use this with Avast! (they don't clash, don't worry) so you have two great products protecting your PC from infection.

Zone Alarm - firewall.

CCleaner - clears unwanted data from your PC, to speed up your PC and save hard drive space.

Foxit - PDF reader.

Internet Download Accelerator - for queueing up and downloading files.

DoubleKiller - Duplicate file finder.

Folder Sort - alters the order of files on a drive, which I use to order songs alphabetically on my mp3 player.

SmartDisk Fat32 Format Utility - allows you to format USB sticks/external drives to FAT32 for media players etc that need FAT32. Windows does this, but has severe limitations on the size of the drives it will format, so use this program instead.

Warning:

You're probably aware of this already, but some programs (including some above) have the nasty modern habbit of installing stuff that you don't want, such as a new search bar, or changing your home page, etc. All of the programs in my list (if they do that) allow you to select an option NOT to do that, but they might be set to install them by default, so when you run the installer, ALWAYS click custom install if it is an option, and ALWAYS read what the installer says (well, maybe not the long text itself (I never do), but always the click-able options) and make sure there is no tick inside the box of any option that you son't want.

Reply 1 of 16, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

TreeSize has been in daily use on my computer for over a decade. Some other useful tools:

UltraMon - manage multi-monitor setups (also allows you to quickly change screen resolution/orientation)

PureText - paste web text into Word without the formatting

Power Mixer - replacement for the Windows volume mixer

DU Meter - display network transfer rates

Process Explorer - replacement for the Windows Task Manager

HxD - hex editor

Notepad++ - Windows Notepad replacement (EditPad Lite, UltraEdit and Babelpad are also useful)

VirtualDub - basic video editor

VisiPics - duplicate image finder (also allows you to search image collections for particular colours or patterns)

MP3Utility - search for damaged MP3 files

SpeedFan - system temperature monitor

MultiPar - file integrity check

WCD - command line console directory changer

Composer - basic web page authoring (similar to MS FrontPage)

foobar2000 - music player. I prefer WinAmp but that's apparently no longer being maintained.

WinRAR - I still use this because I paid for it waybackwhen. 7-Zip is probably better nowadays though.

Media Player Classic - plays some old formats (e.g. FLC/FLI) that VLC can't deal with. Otherwise VLC is probably better.

Getright - download manager. (Free Download Manager is apparently better but I have not used it)

Account retired. Now posting as Errius.

Reply 2 of 16, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
2fort5r wrote:

Power Mixer - replacement for the Windows volume mixer

Power Mixer looks useful. that interface skin though.. yuck.

Kerr Avon wrote:

WinAMP - Music player (yes, it's ancient, but it does what I want it to, so whay change?).

Avast! - anti-virus and anti-malware software.

Foxit - PDF reader.

Winamp is perfect. Truckload of settings and features, and plays just about any file format with the right plugins (Adplug, Snesamp, XMP)
For Avast, I'd recommend Avast 4.8.1229 (last v4 without the "upgrade to v5" nag screens). To get the web scanner to work on win7, follow the Win9x install procedure.
Instead of Foxit, I prefer PDF X-change viewer.

To add to the list:
f.lux - adjusts your monitor's colour temperature at night, much easier on the eyes
SpeedCrunch - decent calculator
Microsoft PowerCalc - even better calculator, doesn't seem to work in Win7 however
CDBurnerXP - no-nonsense disc burning
WinCDEmu - no-nonsense disc emulation
Open Hardware Monitor - no-nonsense hardware monitor
Universal Extractor - if 7zip won't open it, this will.

(by "no-nonsense" I mean: has a clean interface, no skins or popups or annoyances, and does exactly what you expect it to do)

Reply 3 of 16, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Power Mixer is particularly useful because it enables you to alter the volume just by moving the mousewheel when the pointer is over the taskbar. In fullscreen games you can do the same with key+mousewheel. (While the middle mouse button toggles mute.)

Reply 4 of 16, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

CPU-Z - Great free diagnostic tool

Daemon Tools lite - I prefer using images instead of CDs so that I can save the lifespan of my blu-ray drive and also reduce the noise level and improve read times.

DX Tweak 2 - want your controllers calibrated according to your wishes? That's for you, then.

Freac - The audio player in my car doesn't play .flacs and such so it's great for converting those into .mp3s and so much more.

Free Download Manager - Have been using it since I got an internet connection. Never failed me once.

Gimp 2 - Better than Paint. Free. Enough said.

ImgBurn - CDBurnerXP may be more user-friendly but when you need advanced options, that's the one to go with.

Infekt NFO viewer - a nice little thing for your .nfo file viewing needs.

Mp3Tag - Allows you to arrange and tag your music the way you like it.

MusicBee - I have tested many, many free players with quality of playback in mind. This is the only one that sounds (at least to my ear) exactly like Winamp, but this one has a better interface (at least I like it a lot more), and all the advanced settings you will ever need.

KMPlayer - Many people say that MPC HC is the best free video player. I had a hard time choosing between the two but in the end, KMP just has more settings (which I need) so it takes the cake. It's also a lot better at viewing subtitles.

qBittorrent - Open source. No ads. No worries.

Rufus - If you can't fix your pendrive with this, you can't fix it with anything.

unetbootin - The best tool for preparing your Linux installation on your pendrive.

Resource Hacker - Having this on your computer is the equivalent of having a toolbox at your house. It's only needed once in a while, but it gets the job done when it is.

Dukto - Because file sharing across the computers in my network only works when all planets in our solar system are alligned, this simple little software takes all the hassle away and just does the job, no questions asked.

Reply 5 of 16, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOSBox - this program can allow dos games to run. Why isn't this on the lists?!

DragUnPacker - Window-based game archive-focused viewing program, has a MRIP-like Hyperripper feature (for sounds/music deep in archives), nice for analysis and study. (and curiosity)

Mypaint - Nice little free no-nonsense app to doodle with simulated brushes in. I sketch in it a lot.

SpeedswitchXP - nice for Intel laptops to force a strictly low-speed CPU profile while on AC power. Useful for UnrealEngine1 and other old games 😀

WinDirStat - Nice and useful hard drive space graph tool, perfect for the disk space crisis.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 16, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
2fort5r wrote:

Is SISoft Sandra still around? I regularly use the 2001 version for benchmarking/examining old systems.

Belarc Advisor is also useful for this.

I don't know about SiSoft but there's PC Wizard (from the same folks that make CPU-Z) that's pretty similar. Another one just for graphics cards is GPU Caps Viewer .

I'd also add DisplayFusion for managing multiple displays, and Input Director for multiple systems. 😀

Reply 8 of 16, by 2fort5r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm testing Calibre and am pleased to see that it can read .LIT files. I have a lot of these and was worried that they would become unreadable once MS finally drops support for their Reader software. Are there any other programs that can reliably read these files?

And do we already have a thread of this kind for pure DOS programs? We could probably have one for Linux as well.

Reply 9 of 16, by Jepael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tend to pick up open source and free software (as in licence, not money), even on Windows.
I am sure there is much more but can't remember now, and to be honest I mainly use Linux at home so many apps are common.

LibreOffice (or OpenOffice) - Office suite (I haven't bought/used/needed/seen MS Office for years)

Hexplorer - Hex editor

Firefox - I bet this needs no introduction but it's a web browser (and you can install ad blockers and flash blockers and whatnot as plug-ins)

InfraRecorder - CD burning/blanking program, but very little use now when Win7 can burn images and blank disks in the Explorer menu

Some of my favourites also previously mentioned:
7Zip
VLC media player
GIMP
NotePad++
WinDirStat
DosBox (even if it is meant officially only for gaming, it is useful for running legacy apps or developing retro/vintage software and that is my headache if it does not work)

Reply 12 of 16, by ratfink

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I forget what some of these do:

Alcohol 120 - think it can copy "protected" cd formats, so you can take a proper backup

AnyDVD, CloneCD and related products - for mounting cd images, using DVDs from different regions etc I suppose

Free Studio - youtube to mp3

WinDV - digital camera stream to say avi

Dave - implements netbios on pre-OSX Macs [or something like that]

Basilisk, Sheepshaver - old Mac emulators

LeechFTP, Putty, WinSCP, Filezilla - ftp, telnet type programs and related

Opera, K-Meleon, Seamonkey, Thunderbird

floppy drive imaging - winimage?

gpu-z - bit like cpu-z

hwmonitor - for reading motherboard, cpu, hard drive, gpu sensors

Reply 13 of 16, by aqrit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

GlassWire - Network Security Monitor & Firewall Tool
CFF Explorer - PE editor & viewer
FFmpeg - convert audio and video
SearchMonkey - file search

what are people using to compare text files? WinDiff, WinMerge, WinMerge2011, kdiff3, BeyondCompare?

Reply 14 of 16, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
  • This is an older version
    Useful for when you don't have a mouse, but do have a joystick, also useful for programs\games that don't support joysticks 🤣 .
    Lets you rebind Mouse and Keyboard inputs as Joystick inputs.
    I find it pretty useful.

Reply 15 of 16, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Kerr Avon wrote:

FileLocator Lite - searches for files on your discs, a better file finder than Windows' own.

I use Everything for file searching. It finds files in realtime, also indexes hdds in a matter of seconds.

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 16 of 16, by Splinter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I use Ninite as a catch all and convenient installer of popular programs, particularly if you're setting up several PC's at once.
Some say that it may be a little risky, but I disagree and it's totally above board.
Fortunately Ninite hasn't yet decided to bundle crapware like so many others such as Cnet etc.
https://ninite.com/

http://www.compufixshop.com
Main rig Ryzen 2600X Strix RX580 32GB RAM
Secondary rig FX8350 GTX960 16GB RAM