VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Blurredman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey,

Pretty soon, come the other side of the new year i'm looking into building a new pc. One of the many drawbacks I will find is;

1) I'll need an IDE controller (cheaper than two new DVD drives right? 😊 )

2)Possibly a PS/2 controller card - I know a few years ago, certain makes particularly ASUS were in the process of having just one PS/2 socket, or maybe non at all. In recent weeks while looking, I've seen this behaviour gone backwards, and ps/2 in both kb and mouse is typical again on motherboards - so this is possibly a non- issue. 😲

3) and most importantly, currently I have a Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4, this also gives the ability to use both a 3.5" floppy drive and my 5.25" floppy drive. Most motherboard manufactures do not even have the controller now, let alone the implementation of B:. I am wondering if there are any 'reputable' makes that give me that option.
😎

If not, it looks like i'll have to rig up my machine, when it is retired as a main pc, with all these features and share them on the network. Seems a pitty, beacause I like the usability of my current PC, but an interesting to see if any major brands are keeping some legacy devices? 😈

Naturally alot of my searches bring up threads with such comments inside as "OMG, you're using floppy in 2014, update!" or "use a USB one" which is beyond the point of even bothering to read. I use my floppies to transfer to my AMSTRAD PC1512, or my Amstrad CPC, or my Acorn etc etc etc. At least on this forum we're in the same interest (I hope 😊 )

Cat weasels are an alternative, but as far as I've read, they're not a typical controller like an ISA card, more a controller that allows the images to be written to the drive, but not windows per se.

http://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/ 😊

Reply 1 of 8, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just to drag it into the clear: what's wrong with networking?

It sounds like you've got the current box set up the way you want as Legacy Support Unit. Rather than go through the expense and trouble of getting a modern machine to manage the same, why not KVM?

Also I've found having a back-up computer useful so often that I'd feel naked without.

Reply 2 of 8, by Holering

User metadata

I've been using a ga-970a-ud3 for legacy purposes. I've found that the USB IDE emulation is better than sata in IDE mode. I'm not sure what to say about IDE controllers, but I'm pretty sure you'd need a PCI one; have only seen PCI cards with floppy and IDE. Might've seen some with PS2 ports in addition to that.

Reply 3 of 8, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The 970A-UD3 has no floppy nor IDE.

The 870A-UD3 does. Only the newest Revision 3.1 is AM3+ though. The older revision I sold years ago had a bug where the system was unstable when running the ram at 1600mhz. After swapping the RAM for DDR1333, it ran perfectly, though in retrospect, manually forcing it down to 1333mhz would have worked just as well.

But there's only one PS/2 port, for either keyboard or mouse.

If you want a modern board with floppy, IDE, and TWO PS/2 boards, then the Asrock P67 Fatal1ty is a good choice, but it's Intel.

Reply 4 of 8, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AsRock 990fx extreme4. Floppy, IDE and ps/2. Dual pcie 2.0 slots and even pci slots

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 6 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1) I'll need an IDE controller (cheaper than two new DVD drives right? 😊 )
Will your new motherboard even have PCI slots? DVD drives are throughway prices these days (but so are their quality) and anything later then PCI for a IDE controller I'm guessing isn't going to be mainstream enough to be cheap.

2)Possibly a PS/2 controller card
Id go the other way and get one of those 1 USB to 2 PS2 adaptors, works well for connecting my PS2 KVM to my USB only laptop

And I don't have any answer for question 3

Although If it was me I would either build up and network a old PC for say Win98 or XP, something to play DOS/windows games that don't like current generation PC's and at the same time natively supports everything needed for the Amstrad.
Or if your not really interested in old PC's just any old cheap PC rather then trying going through the pain of trying toforce your sexy new PC to support all these old devices

Reply 7 of 8, by Blurredman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the replies. Some interesting points raised.

Networking is indeed a big attribute to my home, and I could easily "share" the floppy drives on a particular one that has them, and merely ''map'' it onto the new machine, I have a server machine that runs 24/7 (CODUO anyone?-, and my ftp site), so that's no biggy. It will probably end up being the thing I will have to do. I'm just curious as to whether a new board might just have the capability in the bios.

I have a KVM switch which has the computers, young and old that I typically use, my main machine, my p2 dos machine, 3dfx box, and a fourth that is in and out all the time for experimenting and having fun (atm an AMD K6-233 w/ win95, although soon will be my old faithful athlon xp 1700 machine- Regardless, it's a position I keep open to swapsies).

I have accessibility to PCI IDE controller cards at work, very cheap (if not free if i beg), and seeing as my old DVD drives are working well and have sentimental value, why upgrade if I can have a middle man card instead?

My KVM switch has the ability to use ps/2 keyboards and mice, but also has serial port mouse (which is used for the dos machine) I wonder if i would encounter compatability issues with USB, considering how little a small ps/2 controller costs, I thought it would negate a possible problem.

As far as PCI slots go, even brand new (full size atx anyway) motherboards typically have at least 2 convential PCI slots, the rest being PCI-e 1x and PCI-e 16x

http://blurredmanswebsite.ddns.net/ 😊

Reply 8 of 8, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well there is always this fellow right here, that could help you with the 5.25 floppy disks. And yes the latest drivers for the fellow supports 64 bit OSes.

http://www.deviceside.com/