VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Holering

User metadata

I had acquired a ATI X800 XL PCIE card and installed it into my ga970a-ud3 mobo. Hooked up my CRT and immediately was shown garbled text and corrupt colors with smiley faces (looked like a frozen NES game). I thought the RAMDAC was bad on the card so I installed it in a core2 duo mobo, hooked up an LCD with the same DSUB vga port (only has one), and no problems! I was surprised!

I was ready to leave a bad review after getting corruption on the x800 xl, but it appears there must be some deliberate incompatibility with first generation PCIE cards on my ga-970a-ud3.

Anyone else almost leave a bad review because of something similar?

Reply 1 of 16, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You know, if there's some kind of incompatibility like that and there's no indication prior to purchasing that it's present, as a consumer, you're fully entitled to rant and rave about it. Leaving a bad review because something doesn't work as intended helps PREVENT the exact kind of situation you encountered and encourages the manufacturer to do better. :o

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 2 of 16, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gemini000 wrote:

You know, if there's some kind of incompatibility like that and there's no indication prior to purchasing that it's present, as a consumer, you're fully entitled to rant and rave about it. Leaving a bad review because something doesn't work as intended helps PREVENT the exact kind of situation you encountered and encourages the manufacturer to do better. 😮

+1. Also, a lot of places you can post reviews will let you come back and edit/amend them and say "yeah this actually changed" if you feel inclined.

Reply 3 of 16, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And as an aside joke, it's an ATI card on an AMD motherboard! RAGE ON RADEON!!! 😁

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 4 of 16, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
archsan wrote:

And as an aside joke, it's an ATI card on an AMD motherboard! RAGE ON RADEON!!! :D

I use an nVidia GPU on an AMD CPU. :P

...what can I say? I like AMD's CPUs but hate their video cards. It happens. :B

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 5 of 16, by Holering

User metadata
Gemini000 wrote:

Leaving a bad review because something doesn't work as intended helps PREVENT the exact kind of situation you encountered and encourages the manufacturer to do better. 😮

Even if I bought this on Ebay used and the seller said card worked?

archsan wrote:

And as an aside joke, it's an ATI card on an AMD motherboard! RAGE ON RADEON!!! 😁

Speaking of which, I have a pcx5750 that does work on my ga-970a-ud3. It actually uses a AGP to PCIE bridge but it's more compatible (no joke).

Reply 6 of 16, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Holering wrote:

I think it's an "Exceptional circumstance" to assume all users will have multiple different machines to troubleshoot/test cards on - I tend to look at used hardware purchases as "if I was buying this for my only computer..." and if it doesn't work there, it doesn't work, unless it's something silly that can be addressed (e.g. needs an adapter).

Speaking of which, I have a pcx5750 that does work on my ga-970a-ud3. It actually uses a AGP to PCIE bridge but it's more compatible (no joke).

Those nVidia bridges are really good! 😀

Reply 7 of 16, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Holering wrote:

Now that you mention it, the x800XL is a bridged card too isn't it? Unlike the X800/X850 (PE) which were native AGP.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 8 of 16, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bad review? No need to be hasty making it. The problem might be somewhere else.

Gemini000 wrote:
archsan wrote:

I use an nVidia GPU on an AMD CPU. 😜

...what can I say? I like AMD's CPUs but hate their video cards. It happens. :B

IMHO, AMD makes really good GPUs these days, can't say that about their CPUs, though.

11 1 111 11 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 111 1 111 1 1 1 1 111

Reply 10 of 16, by Holering

User metadata
obobskivich wrote:

Do you think I should toss the rage128 for the PCX5750? I think the pcx5750 is pretty good considering I can run Windows 95C with it, along with the Vortex 2. I think it is amazing the Vortex 2 actually has DOS sound in 95 (outside DOS) on a AM3+ system; PCX 5750 actually does work in Windows 95 too (except nvidia control panel). Serial mouse with PS2 keyboard works fine in 95, 7, and Linux.

archsan wrote:

Now that you mention it, the x800XL is a bridged card too isn't it?

No. It is native PCIE. Only the agp cards are bridged.

Reply 11 of 16, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

^Ah yes of course it's native PCIE, and the bridged one is the agp version, even that's what I meant -- I just had a momentary amnesia as to what this thread's about. 😜

Anyway, I've been wondering everytime I see your sig -- do you actually get win9x working with all that? Don't you have any driver problem? And did you do anything special to get around the RAM limitation?

Reply 13 of 16, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Holering wrote:
obobskivich wrote:

Do you think I should toss the rage128 for the PCX5750? I think the pcx5750 is pretty good considering I can run Windows 95C with it, along with the Vortex 2. I think it is amazing the Vortex 2 actually has DOS sound in 95 (outside DOS) on a AM3+ system; PCX 5750 actually does work in Windows 95 too (except nvidia control panel). Serial mouse with PS2 keyboard works fine in 95, 7, and Linux.

Shouldn't older nVidia drivers (pre "Control Panel") work fine though? I mean basically it's a GeForce FX 5700 - it supports a lot of things, except "early" GeForce FX drivers. If you don't need any special S3/3dfx/etc features why not use it then? It should best the Rage128 at pretty much everything (image quality, performance, features, output quality, output options, etc) and it isn't like it's a big power drain monster (like a modern high end card). 😀

If you need a faster PCX (or just another one), something you might consider is the Quadro FX 1300 - it's the Quadro-fied PCX 59xx. They're also (for whatever reason) extremely plentiful (and cheap) on ebay. 😀

Reply 14 of 16, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Holering wrote:
Gemini000 wrote:

Leaving a bad review because something doesn't work as intended helps PREVENT the exact kind of situation you encountered and encourages the manufacturer to do better. :o

OH... you mean eBay feedback... that's a somewhat different beast entirely as I thought you meant a PRODUCT review, like on an online store.

The thing with feedback on eBay is that you're grading the sellers themselves, not the products they're selling. If the seller delivers a product and it functions the way it's supposed to, including the faults the product has by default, that's not a hit against the seller really. Plus, most sellers are willing to accommodate if things go wrong, and if something goes wrong and you need to return something, that's still technically positive (or at the worst, neutral) feedback to leave since the seller was willing to work with you to come to some kind of amicable solution.

Even eBay itself does its best to tell people not to leave neutral or negative feedback without first trying to work things out with the seller.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 15 of 16, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not exactly false reviews, but this one is probably close: a totally layman review on a multimedia speaker. I wasn't an audiophile at that time, and I have totally forgotten what my dad told me about sensitivity, frequency response curve, stereo imaging, and the likes. And of course, it was the time when I mistakenly thought the warm sound of Wharfedale Diamond 7 was the final world in hi-fi. So I merely described what I saw and listened, with a lot of praises, without even knowing how flat and how deep the speakers are.

Well in the context of multimedia speakers, probably the review is almost adequate, but still....

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.