VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello all. I'm hoping there is someone with knowledge in this field, I was trying to write some midi music to play back over my OPL3 sound card and see how that sounded. But I noticed my choices of instruments seem kind of bland and there are absolutely no effects at all! How were the scores for burntime and other music done where they seem to have echo effects. Did they actually write in decaying notes or is there someway to tell a sound device I'd like to make use of a particular effect?

Right now I'm using general midi and anvil studio to try and write stuff but I'm unsatisfied with it, any suggestions for composing software I could run on DOS or Win 9x to directly make use of the OPL3 card?

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 2 of 5, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
King_Corduroy wrote:

Did they actually write in decaying notes or is there someway to tell a sound device I'd like to make use of a particular effect?

Right now I'm using general midi and anvil studio to try and write stuff but I'm unsatisfied with it, any suggestions for composing software I could run on DOS or Win 9x to directly make use of the OPL3 card?

The thing is, OPL3 doesn't speak MIDI, it speaks OPL3. The only way MIDI data is played back through an OPL3 chip is through a driver that translates the instruments into OPL commands on the fly. Of course, this leads to the drabness you're describing.

Adlib Tracker mentioned above is the best way to make "proper" OPL music.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 4 of 5, by CryoSID

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SquallStrife wrote:

Adlib Tracker mentioned above is the best way to make "proper" OPL music.

Unfortunately the newer versions of Adlib Tracker II have the 3rd track broken and they never fixed it for some reason. I recommend to use AT2 Rev 38 instead until its fixed.