VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 40 of 41, by Holering

User metadata
Darkman wrote:

Doom is dreadful on the Saturn due to the frame rate from what I remember

Haha right. I think if you let the demo loop for a while it ends up running really smooth (normal). I remember this with a U.S. rental back in late 90's. I'm not kidding but I swear I just let it sit there for a long time and the demo caused a glitch to make it run normal (and I think I even played it like that); I have to admit I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure it was legitimate. I always liked finding weird stuff like that. Here's a good example of the resolution http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRJtXalq1rU.

Yeah I remember Powerslave. That was my favorite from Lobotomy (and Quake). IIRC someone mentioned it uses one SH2 for all the processing (including the sound). Only the VDP is used for the 3D. Sound is high quality and detailed which is unlike most Saturn Psx ports. I think he/she was using an emulator in debug mode or something? If that is true it should be using assembly, because it runs really good (way better than Doom especially). Those unknown Americans did a job programming IMO. I think the Saturn is the only machine besides 32X to have a strong American-Japanese influence. It was very successful in Japan anyway.

Reply 41 of 41, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Holering wrote:
Darkman wrote:

Doom is dreadful on the Saturn due to the frame rate from what I remember

Haha right. I think if you let the demo loop for a while it ends up running really smooth (normal). I remember this with a U.S. rental back in late 90's. I'm not kidding but I swear I just let it sit there for a long time and the demo caused a glitch to make it run normal (and I think I even played it like that); I have to admit I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure it was legitimate. I always liked finding weird stuff like that. Here's a good example of the resolution http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRJtXalq1rU.

Yeah I remember Powerslave. That was my favorite from Lobotomy (and Quake). IIRC someone mentioned it uses one SH2 for all the processing (including the sound). Only the VDP is used for the 3D. Sound is high quality and detailed which is unlike most Saturn Psx ports. I think he/she was using an emulator in debug mode or something? If that is true it should be using assembly, because it runs really good (way better than Doom especially). Those unknown Americans did a job programming IMO. I think the Saturn is the only machine besides 32X to have a strong American-Japanese influence. It was very successful in Japan anyway.

its worse here, remember PAL games are about 17% slower than NTSC and have those black bars on the screen games unless they are optimized, and even then there can be slowdown issues (like Rakuga Kids on N64 or Last Bronx on the Saturn , which were optimized to be full screen but have additional slowdown , while the NTSC Last Bronx runs at 60fps constant, which I know as I also have the Japanese version and a modified Saturn)

if I remember correctly Saturn doom was ported by Rage Software, who also did another PS1 conversion of some a sports game whose name escapes me and it was also a pretty bad port, just seems like Rage didn't know what they were doing. Quake on the Saturn was using its own custom engine that was developed for the Saturn specifically, hence why it runs better. Obviously its nowhere near as nice as GLQuake , but if you compare it to how most people were running it, ie , in software at 320X240 , on an early Pentium at best, its pretty good.