VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kerr Avon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In case anyone isn't aware of Hiren's Boot CD (which I should have listed in the Windows programs thread, come to think of it, even though it's not strictly one program nor just for Windows) I thought I'd mention it here, since I've just been using it again (it's a real life saver as far as Windows is concerned).

It's a boot disc (like UBCD, which I used to use until I discovered H'sBCD) so it doesn't matter what version of Windows is on your hard drive (or how badly the hard drive's installation of Windows is corrupt), nor how much the hard drive is riddled with malware/viruses or other problems, since you're booting from HBCD instead of the hard drive. It contains every type of program you need to troubleshoot or fix a corrupt/infected Windows installation, unless of course the hard drive is physically damaged (in which case use HBCD to salvage as much data as possible, then bin the hard drive) or Windows is too corrupted to be fixed (in which case a re-install or format + re-install is your only real choice), and even comes with a quick booting minimal version of Windows XP so you can use the familiar Windows functions to copy data from the hard drive onto your own USB/network/hard drive, to rescue valuable data.

Plus it's free too, which is surprising since it has Windows XP on it. Get it from:

http://www.hirensbootcd.org/hbcd-v152/

and put it on a CD-R/DVD-R, or USB stick - the latter is best, of course, since it's quicker to boot, plus it contains space for you to store rescuing data (depending on the size of the USB stick you use), and I use Universal USB Installer (http://www.pendrivelinux.com/univers...easy-as-1-2-3/) to put the HBCD to a USB stick.

You should really have this ready for when your Windows decides to be throw a tantrum, it's just saved me having to remove a laptop hard drive and find a suitable caddy, to rescue some files.

Reply 1 of 11, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kerr Avon wrote:

Plus it's free too, which is surprising since it has Windows XP on it.

Right, and Microsoft would categorize it as an illegal "scene" tool that violates their EULA, or at least they used to.

UBCD4WIN (not the original UBCD) is at least closer to being legal, such as it generates a BartPE-based boot disc. Hiren's is basically a customized BartPE boot disc for which the generated ISO has been shared. If I remember right.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 2 of 11, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most Linux LiveCD can accomplished the same jobs. There are also special LiveCD that specially targets for such data rescue operation, such as SysRescueCD. They are 100% legit and free software.

Reply 3 of 11, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not XP, but PE - Windows Preinstallation Environment. Still MS proprietary, but not full blown Windows.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 11, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay, collector. But I definitely remember Hiren mentions from being banned back in the day on other forums. Perhaps instead what it does is bundle commercial software? There's something it does which is "naughty"...

Stiletto

Reply 6 of 11, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got it:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiren's_BootCD#Licensing_issues

A very naughty history, but I guess it's mostly clean now? *shrug*
http://discuss.howtogeek.com/t/hirens-boot-cd … now-legal/11252

The free distribution of WinPE-based boot disc images is still illegal AFAIK.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/3828 … is-not-allowed/

Stiletto

Reply 7 of 11, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Stiletto wrote:

Okay, collector. But I definitely remember Hiren mentions from being banned back in the day on other forums. Perhaps instead what it does is bundle commercial software? There's something it does which is "naughty"...

As I said, PE is still MS proprietary and as such Hiren's was considered of questionable legality at the time. I am not arguing against your point about its controversy, I was only noting that it was PE, not XP. I believe that MS has since relaxed it stance on it and others use it now. This probably would not have happened if it had used regular XP. The latest nLite, vLIte uses the PE from the Vista installer instead of the one from XP.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 9 of 11, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, but it even has speedsys embedded! Some day I have to sit down and make a custom cd with the utilities I use, cause I use them way too often!

Is there by the way any dos utility that checks non lba hdds like the mhdd does? With indicators of speed and access time of each sector. Even shareware, I'll buy it!

Core i7-13700 | 32G DDR4 | Biostar B760M | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 32" AOC 75Hz IPS + 17" DEC CRT 1024x768 @ 85Hz
Win11 + Virtualization => Emudeck @consoles | pcem @DOS~Win95 | Virtualbox @Win98SE & softGPU | VMware @2K&XP | ΕΧΟDΟS

Reply 10 of 11, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Holering wrote:

TBH I don't remember Hiren's boot CD being illegal a few years back; am I wrong?

Go back to the 10.x series and you've more warze. IIRC a lot of that is gone by 15.2 and they've at least moved into 'grey' arguments like 'abandonware' and the PE. To be fully cautious I would say Vogons don't want it linked here. Also I can't think of anything it does that you really can't do with the plethora of open source CDs these days.

eL_PuSHeR wrote:

Long time since an update.

July 2012. Not so bad for some things I guess but for enough others, why not just go to the site for Gparted, Memtest86+ etc and get the very latest version as required, y'know? Seems everything has its own Live-ISO version now, and broadband makes it trivial.

Reply 11 of 11, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wish I could use HBCD at work, but it's one of those things, along with MBAM and CCleaner that aren't totally legal. For different reasons though, CCleaner and Malwarebytes require business-use licenses. 😀