Common searches

First post, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What sick man makes screws like these??

IMG_20130620_212415.jpg

I have an Canon 13V adapter that need a cable change and it has screws like those two in the image.
Is there an way to remove them with out special tools? And what are their name?

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"

Reply 2 of 11, by Procyon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Very annoying indeed and these are just one of the many types out there.
Easiest would be to ask someone who works in a maintenance shop if he can get a fitting bithead for you.
If the screws aren't too tight maybe you can get grip with somewhat matching pliers and loosen them.
Another way is to drill a hole in the head and use a leftist tap to remove them and replace them with normal screws but that is going to be hard are the screwheads are round so the drill is going to run away.
Or if the screws are exposed enough you can saw a cut into the head and remove them with a normal screwdriver.

Reply 3 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nintendo uses them since ages ago , just get the bits from eBay

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 11, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I bought a toolset on ebay China for like $10 to work with torx and many other types of heads, the screwdriver head for the one you are showing looks like a fork. A very useful thing if you deal with electronics.
s-l140.jpg

Reply 6 of 11, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you have a dremel, cut a slot in them and you can open it with a normal flathead screwdriver. Small iron saw works too if you have enough space to saw.

Reply 7 of 11, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RacoonRider wrote:

[...] the screwdriver head for the one you are showing looks like a fork[...]

nope, here is the needed bit:

nqwnir.jpg

search ebay for "nintendo security bit"

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 9 of 11, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've seen a TITAN brand bit set with a huge variety of security bits for about 12 bucks. It came with the aforementioned tuning-fork bits, but I had to special order security bits for Nintendo game carts.

Reply 10 of 11, by Stojke

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The guy doesn't have the right size.
I searched EVERY SINGLE service here and specialized shop and NO ONE has this screw driver.
Wanted to buy this one for the task:

b8cc41f2c23fcd5970f74c3c49efafec_XL.jpg

At least i lost some weight while walking 🤣

Note | LLSID | "Big boobs are important!"