VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Trying to run this game on my main rig with 7970 in CrossFire. The framerate is good, but the textures, they pop in and is extremely annoying. Wtf is up with this game? I thought a game released in 2011 would be fine on more modern hardware...

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2 of 9, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think the game runs best on NV. But AMD has improved their driver so that might not be true anymore.

Even the new Wolfenstein has the streaming texture quirk. It is just a caveat to how the megatexture tech works.

Reply 4 of 9, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
swaaye wrote:

I think the game runs best on NV. But AMD has improved their driver so that might not be true anymore.

Even the new Wolfenstein has the streaming texture quirk. It is just a caveat to how the megatexture tech works.

GPU encoding can't be turned on with AMD cards, so I dunno how it performs on NV cards.

Megatexture, what is the point when other tech looks just as good (if not better) without being locked out for AMD cards and have no texture pop-ins?? Crysis 3 for instance looks better than Rage.

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 5 of 9, by Harekiet

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

I quite like how well Rage looks especially considering the high framerates it manages especially on consoles. But opengl driver quality has always been sketchy, shader compilers being buggy, no clear standards, zillions of extensions. Carmack should have given up his love for it for windows.

Reply 7 of 9, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found that when transitioning the game to my SSD drive the various texture loading issues were reduced to an unnoticeable level. Kind of sucks that such seems to be required to run the game acceptably.

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 8 of 9, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vetz wrote:

GPU encoding can't be turned on with AMD cards, so I dunno how it performs on NV cards.

Megatexture, what is the point when other tech looks just as good (if not better) without being locked out for AMD cards and have no texture pop-ins?? Crysis 3 for instance looks better than Rage.

The GPU texture transcode uses CUDA so yeah it's NV-only. I think it might be a wee bit quicker than the CPU version but honestly it's hard to tell. It should matter more if you have a beefy GPU and a weak CPU (or one with few threads). Rage looked and ran massively better on NV than AMD for the first 6 months after the game's release though because of AMD's absolute failure of preparation for the game.

The point to megatexture is to allow the artists a more natural workflow and more freedom. They just paint on the megatexture however they want without worry for normal texturing quirks. The problems are the usual need for more time/money to make the art, and the need for huge amounts of storage to keep the quality up. Rage had to ship on PS360. Not much power there and DVD storage in particular on 360 is an issue. Wolfenstein looks a lot better than Rage (note it's almost 50GB) but it's not really extremely better. But it is still a PS360 game too. Crysis 3 looks awesome more because of a design philosphy to push tech limits of PC hardware, which I don't think Rage or Wolfenstein went for.

BTW, I don't think Wolfenstein uses the GPU transcode even on NV. The option isn't in the menu and I think the cvar was disabled by default.