VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is a high resolution JPEG (4437x4762, 7.8MB) image of 100 DOS games. Gimp is telling me that it is 72-DPI and 60" wide x 66" tall.
This would be pretty awesome printed out and I know a place in town that can do it fairly inexpensively. I have just the place to hang this beauty too.

I did a search and couldn't find it posted on the forums so here it is.

http://information2share.files.wordpress.com/ … e-dos-games.jpg

Gateway 2000 Case and 200-Watt PSU
Intel SE440BX-2 Motherboard
Intel Pentium III 450 CPU
Micron 384MB SDRAM (3x128)
Compaq Voodoo3 3500 TV Graphics Card
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz Sound Card
Western Digital 7200-RPM, 8MB-Cache, 160GB Hard Drive
Windows 98 SE

Reply 1 of 18, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That is a nice poster, and I can't see any games that, in my opinion, do not deserve to be on it. However, I would suggest that Eye of the Beholder I should have been included with Eye II, and that the whole Quest for Glory series was worth including. I understand space constraints would have made for difficulties.

http://nerdlypleasures.blogspot.com/ - Nerdly Pleasures - My Retro Gaming, Computing & Tech Blog

Reply 2 of 18, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

KYRANDIA ??!!

I'm saving it anyway, thanks. 😀 Do you know who made it? I like to include credit/attribution when saving images if possible.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."—Arthur C. Clarke
"No way. Installing the drivers on these things always gives me a headache."—Guybrush Threepwood (on cutting-edge voodoo technology)

Reply 3 of 18, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

very nice!
I'll try and get that printed, it would fit perfectly in a retro-environment even if some games are omitted 😀
I think the source is here: http://www.damncoolpictures.com/2012/07/list- … -dos-games.html

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 4 of 18, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

A most excellent poster! Many of my favorites listed as well - the three D's (Doom/Doom 2, Descent/Descent 2, Duke Nukem 3D), Quake, Rise of the Triad, Warcraft 2, X-COM, Wacky Wheels, Epic Pinball, Wolf3D, and on and on and on...... 😁

Thanks for posting this squareguy, you really made my day! 😀

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 5 of 18, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm not sure who to credit for the image. Some love and care went into that for sure. Glad you liked it. It made my day when I saw it yesterday.

Windows 98 SE

Reply 6 of 18, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think this originated on 4Chan's /vr/ board. They're mainly console-oriented, though they do have a fair number of threads about retro PC gaming. I like it better than most of the other boards, though being 4Chan there are still the occasional trolls, pervs, and shitposters. 🤣

Reply 7 of 18, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The whole "72 DPI" thing is a furphy, ignore it. If you print it at a more reasonable 300dpi, you're looking at an A3-ish sized image. Much disappoint.

Which is a massive shame, because holy balls this is an amazing image. I would have absolutely loved a larger version for print.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 8 of 18, by squareguy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nah it's gonna look good. I did a test print on 8-1/2" x 11" @ 72-DPI on the lower left corner and I think it was great. It gets all of "UFO: Enemy Unknown", A small sliver of "Ultima" to the right, three-quarters of "The Elder Scrolls" above it. To me it's fitting. I mean this is DOS... low resolution. Take your old 15" screen which is probably 13" wide by 9" tall, running at say 800x600 resolution (High res for that monitor) and divide 800 pixels by 13 inches. You get roughly 62-DPI.

Windows 98 SE

Reply 9 of 18, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm honestly surprised your print turned out OK. Whenever I've tried to deliberately print things at a low resolution, it's given me a smooshy horrible mess. I guess the print driver has tried to smooth things or something.

I need to try some things.

Reply 10 of 18, by rgart

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What would be the best dimensions to use printing this poster if you had access to a commercial printer?

=My Cyrix 5x86 systems : 120MHz vs 133MHz=. =My 486DX2-66MHz=

Reply 12 of 18, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice poster. I have A3 printers. I would probably check the hardcopy out.

Not bad quality for a JPEG image. A lossless version would come in handy though, despite it would be BIG in size.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 16 of 18, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:

The genre for Descent and Descent II should be 6 Degrees of Freedom. Nor is it really a shoot-'em-up since that's another style of game play.

Talk about splitting hairs.

Reply 17 of 18, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If anyone running vista/win7 wants to make a windows game poster look in your
C:\Users\Davros\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\GameExplorer\GamesBoxArt folder (replace Davros of course)
all your games boxarts should be in there
Ive resized mine to roughly 250x350 each
Fnvky2l.jpg

strange thing is games explorer has 426 games but the boxart folder says it has only 356 pictures in it and it has the annoying habit of replacing some boxarts with icons 🙁
OFixArN.jpg

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness