VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's easy to point at a Commodore 64 or at the NES and call it retro. But what about the slightly newer stuff? There really isn't one official rule that everybody accepts for when something becomes retro, is there?

I think, first of all, that it depends on the object. For example, I drive a '99 Fiat Seicento. You might say: "Gah! that's very old!", and you might be right, but I wouldn't say that the car is retro. That's because there are still many of those on Polish roads, and if something is still commonly used by the mainstream public, it's not retro enough for me.

Now, if we were talking about a computer from 1999, I would definitely call it retro. Mind you, at that time some people were still rocking the good old MS DOS, counting bytes on their dial-up modems (or at least in Poland they were), and Windows 98 still felt fairly new.

And then it's not like it's just the age that makes things retro, in my view. Take my SoundBlaster X-fi 5.1 Surround USB as an example. It's not a very old piece of hardware. It's still supported by modern operating systems and new games work with it without issues. However, Creative doesn't sell those anymore (they do still sell the PRO version of it, though, I think). Everybody's warranty on that thing expired years ago and Creative doesn't provide tech support on it anymore. You even have to go to the "archived products" section on their website to download drivers for it. So, is it retro? Err... maybe not for me but I bet there are people somewhere out there who would call it that.

And then there is the matter of whether all old stuff is retro or are some things just old? Let's take the example of soundcards again. Soundblasters from the 90s, specifically the ISA ones are very popular among us retro PC enthusiasts. Those things are carefully unmounted from rusty computers and sold online. There are, though, plenty of soundcards which still rot in such rusty machines and will continue to rot until they are turned into scrap metal or are found by archaeologists in the year 3000. I'm talking about the cheap ones from the late 90s and early 2000s, the C-medias, the Pentagrams, etc. which people bought for a fiver because they didn't want to splash out on a SoundBlaster or they were fed up with crappy integrated sound chips. Even I had one of those. They are useless in almost every way except they were a cheap way to play music with decent quality on your PC. The point is, classic SoundBlasters are definitely retro, while I'd rather call the other ones I've mentioned simply old.

So, what is retro for you? How would you define it? What are the criteria?

Reply 1 of 19, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I suppose one way to measure it is to see whehter that piece of hardware can still be used to do basic tasks that are expected right now, with an emphasis on doing them well.

if your PC can run Windows 8 smoothly, its probably not retro . I mean , fair enough you could probably get Win8 to run somehow on , say an Athlon 64 or AthlonXP (heck Ive seen people getting Win7 to run on an original Pentium..) , but its not going to be smooth . So its arguable that these 2 CPUs could be considered retro, While the early dual cores like the Core2Duo are probably not.

of course the easier though maybe less nauanced way of doing this is just to say anything made over 10 or 15 years ago

Reply 2 of 19, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

"Before Pixel shader 2.0" is a good definition, because that's when things were still very much a wild west 'bag of tricks' and PS 1.0-1.4 was pretty much a supplement for those 'bag of tricks'

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 19, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

"Before Pixel shader 2.0" is a good definition, because that's when things were still very much a wild west 'bag of tricks' and PS 1.0-1.4 was pretty much a supplement for those 'bag of tricks'

I'd buy that. 😀

PS2.0+ generally will work on modern hardware too, so you don't explicitly need to maintain a machine from say, 2006, to run those kinds of games when you can just install them in Win7/8/whatever with whizbang GTX Titan and such. Whereas if you go back to something like Redguard Adventures, using Glide, etc you're talking about old/outdated hardware from the late 1990s and that fits into "retro" very well imho.

OTOH I think early-2000s hardware stuff is slowly starting to become 'retro' in its own right, not so much because of application support, but because it tends to have a somewhat different aesthetic to modern components.

Reply 4 of 19, by pewpewpew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The thing tips over the line from old to retro when looking at it means conciously looking into the past. 'Looking backward.'

For fun: http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=retro
Such a lovely website. Always nice to be reminded where a word has been. This is 'the mud on its boots', as it were.

----

Cars... I fail at this with cars perhaps. A mate's 94 Metro just isn't retro. Given, mechanically it is so similar to what VW was doing with the Golf in 75 that I call it a Coelacanth. But otherwise... just so little has changed between it and any other anonymous cheap econobox on the road, if not the showroom. Here it is revealed perhaps that retro needs to be more of "you don't see that anymore" than a date of introduction.

(Disclaimer: I'm flippin old. Car tech got kinda "new-fangled" in my view somewhere around '85.)

Reply 5 of 19, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
pewpewpew wrote:

The thing tips over the line from old to retro when looking at it means conciously looking into the past. 'Looking backward.'

Here it is revealed perhaps that retro needs to be more of "you don't see that anymore" than a date of introduction.

Something like this imo.

Many people use old stuff simply because it's cheaper that way (like people buying a second hand car instead of a new one). But at some point the really old stuff becomes too expensive to maintain (like a very old car which starts breaking down all the time, making repairs more costly then the car is really worth... in practical terms at least) for the use it gets.
At some point it's use as a cheaper alternative to something brand new will run out and the only people still using it will probably be people who are emotionally attached to it (just like an oldtimer car or for us: a retro computer) instead of simply using it because something newer is too expensive.

Perhaps one possible explanation of "retro" could be the moment when something stops being a cheaper alternative to something that is more expensive to being harder to maintain, making it more expensive compared to something brand new, often requiring the owner to do repairs himself.

I suppose the vast majority of people here repair their own computers. Bringing them to a repair shop would either be too expensive (the repair shop will have a hard time sourcing replacement parts, just to give an example) or would simply refuse to repair said computer "because it's too old".

Above is one possible view of when a computer becomes retro (and not the only thing I consider being relevant), I don't know of any single solid definition (yet).

When it comes to what I consider retro hardware today, I'd say everything Tualatin, Willamette or Thunderbird and older is retro PC hardware. Then theres some kind of gliding scale (a gray area) from s478/Athlon XP to perhaps the pre-Core Netburst chips and s754/s939 chips.

Anything Core or AM2 I definitely don't consider retro (yet)
In a way Athlon XP is older tech then Netburst (I kinda see it as a super Pentium 3)

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 19, by AlphaWing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For me any PC with just AGP\PCI and no PCI-E slots is retro anymore.
PCI-E 1.0\1.1 systems are borderline retro now.

Ancient retro systems for me start at the 486, and older where they start becoming nearly pure unobtainum.

Reply 8 of 19, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I tend to go by major changes in hardware and or software you can use. AGP systems are old, EISA, ISA, and VLB are retro. 32 bit systems are getting old, 8 and 16 bit systems are retro. For mac PPC systems are old, anything that can boot OS9 is retro (so is anything 68k, Nubus). heck any system with native SCSI is probably retro, same with an laptop with PCMCIA (not the 32 bit Cardbus which is just old).

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 9 of 19, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

My Scale of Oldness.

Kind of Old, but good enough for most casual users:
Core 2 Duo or newer
Athlon 64 X2 or newer

Totally Old, but still useable with some tweaking. Can still handle the modern internet. Can run Win7 well enough with enough RAM. Days of being useful (by modern standards) are numbered:
Pentium D
Athlon 64
Pentium M on PCIe board.
3.2GHz+ P4 on PCIe board.

"Annoyingly Old." Not old enough to be retro, yet painfully slow on some web sites and newer applications. Not old enough to support some older hardware, not new enough to smoothly run Win7/8. Common in alleys. Boring as hell. Can't give 'em away, and not worth enough to try selling on ebay.
Pentium 4 on AGP board
Athlon XP and K7 based Sempron
Netburst Celeron and Celeron D

New Retro. Fun to tinker with. Great for Win98 gaming. A great home for those Voodoo cards. Too old to even consider connecting to the Net:
Athlon
Pentium III (preferably Tualatin or high Coppermine)

Old Retro. Great for DOS gaming and some very early Windows titles.
Pentium II
Pentium MMX

Downright ancient. Fun to own, but using DOSBox is easier.
486 and older.

94 MHz NEC VR4300 | SGI Reality CoPro | 8MB RDRAM | Each game gets its own SSD - nooice!

Reply 10 of 19, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just to add: Anything with 3DFX in combination with reasonable period correct hardware to me is very obvious to be retro, dare to deny that 😁

Edit: Another add.
Personally I also put a boundary at AT to ATX systems, even if the rest of the hardware is about the same

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 11 of 19, by meljor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it is affordable: retro
If it costs an arm or a leg: New stuff or VERY retro

If it pisses you off every now and then: the best stuff (because it keeps you busy)

🤣

asus tx97-e, 233mmx, voodoo1, s3 virge ,sb16
asus p5a, k6-3+ @ 550mhz, voodoo2 12mb sli, gf2 gts, awe32
asus p3b-f, p3-700, voodoo3 3500TV agp, awe64
asus tusl2-c, p3-S 1,4ghz, voodoo5 5500, live!
asus a7n8x DL, barton cpu, 6800ultra, Voodoo3 pci, audigy1

Reply 12 of 19, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Darkman wrote:

I suppose one way to measure it is to see whehter that piece of hardware can still be used to do basic tasks that are expected right now, with an emphasis on doing them well.

if your PC can run Windows 8 smoothly, its probably not retro . I mean , fair enough you could probably get Win8 to run somehow on , say an Athlon 64 or AthlonXP (heck Ive seen people getting Win7 to run on an original Pentium..) , but its not going to be smooth . So its arguable that these 2 CPUs could be considered retro, While the early dual cores like the Core2Duo are probably not.

of course the easier though maybe less nauanced way of doing this is just to say anything made over 10 or 15 years ago

athlon XP is boderline on that. Socket 939 is smooth but, it's considered retro but, it's mostly due to age on the 939. it's 8 years headed on 10 years old. not TRUE BLUE retro though.

Reply 14 of 19, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't consider anything ATX retro, with 2 exceptions.
440BX borderline retro, mostly due to the "legendariness" of it.
So Pentium socket 4 till K6-III+ = retro. Pentium II-III slot borderline retro, if fitted with Tualatins, Radeon 9800, 80GB 7200rpm HDD and 512+MB ram for sure not retro. With Voodoo3 and a Katmai, retro.
AMD slotA borderline retro due to being rare. Socket A definitely not retro, one can even find DDR, Sata and USB 2.0 on some later boards!

Vintage? 486 VLB and earlier. 486 PCI borderline vintage, fit it with 32MB ram, PS/2 and a Riva and definitely not vintage.

Maybe I should say: retro = beforce SSE, vintage = before PCI.

Core i7-13700 | 32G DDR4 | Biostar B760M | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 32" AOC 75Hz IPS + 17" DEC CRT 1024x768 @ 85Hz
Win11 + Virtualization => Emudeck @consoles | pcem @DOS~Win95 | Virtualbox @Win98SE & softGPU | VMware @2K&XP | ΕΧΟDΟS

Reply 18 of 19, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MatureTech wrote:

Staahp. Retro is a hype word that causes used parts to get expensive, just like "antique."

Actually, not necessarily. As far as computer stuff goes, only rare things actually get really expensive. For example, if I you want an ISA SoundBlaster, no problem, you'll find one online for a fiver. Ask for a working floppy drive for a Commodore 64 and we are in a completely different price range.

Reply 19 of 19, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

retro \ˈre-(ˌ)trō\ "relating to, reviving, or being the styles and especially the fashions of the past : fashionably nostalgic or old-fashioned"

When applied to technology, it retro is usually anything that is nostalgic to a person. So retro will vary depending on what you used in your younger days. For me, it is everything from 1978 - 2001.

I'm not quite nostalgic about anything after 2001, but give it a few years, and I'm sure that window will grow.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube