Common searches

First post, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I have the following GPU in my gaming rig:

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page … spx?pid=4290#ov

It's a triple fan configuration but the center fan is failing, it looks to be one of the frameless type, about 70 ~ 80 mm I think.

Anybody know if there are replacement fans or GPU heatsink/fan combination ?

Since the GPU is out of warranty it doesn't matter if I swap out the GPU cooler or the faulty fan at this point.

I also found this interesting GPU Cooler Replacement as well, looks like Newegg carries it too.

http://www.arctic.ac/us_en/accelero-xtreme-9894.html

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 1 of 4, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AC is a decent brand! Good value too. I remember when they started off with their VGA Silencer range...

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 2 of 4, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just be careful as the selection of aftermarket coolers for modern graphics cards sucks compared to how it was even a few years ago. Only go with a brand that offers a complete kit that is compatible with that card but if all else just buy some 60CFM 80/90mm fans and a controller then use your imagination. Did that to a Gigabyte GTX460 that had no problems doing 930mhz.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 3 of 4, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I put an AC (not the model you linked - mine has a single 120mm fan) on a 4890 to replace a failing OEM fan, and while the cooling performance is stellar, the mounting system is abysmal. I have to tighten the screws about once a month as it works itself loose, which results in the GPU not receiving ideal cooling.

The 7970 model linked has the same mounting plate as the cooler I have on my 4890, so I wouldn't be surprised if it experiences the same phenomenon over time. And yeah I could probably put loc-tite or super-glue or something on the screws and lock it on there forever, but I don't like that idea. Ofc YMMV.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much if one of 3 fans fails, unless you see the temperatures going much higher than they should be.

Reply 4 of 4, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, I'm a dunderhead.

I had an older Gigabyte HD-7970 with the same heatsink/fan combination as my GHZ Edition GPU and I kept it even though it was non-working, in case I needed any parts.

Well I can scavenge the fan assembly from it and then cleanup the current heatsink and apply new thermal grease and be done with it.

I've also been toying purchasing a new 290X which may still happen as well.

Thanks all for the replies.

No matter where you go, there you are...