VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm thinking about making the plunge and getting Rocksmith. If anybody here uses it, what kind of guitar would you recommend?

The only music supply store near me sells nothing but Michael Kelly 6 string electric guitars. Are those any decent, or should I just scour pawn shops looking for a deal? I've already called a bunch of them, and while they wouldn't tell me over the phone what brands they had, they said they sell them anywhere from $200 and up.

Any suggestions? Should I also look into an amplifier? The rocksmith site only mentions that the guitar needs a 1/4" jack (or if it doesn't, have a shop install a pickup, whatever that is), and the required USB dongle. I'm a total neophyte when it comes to electric guitars, and hope to spend less than $300 on it, if possible.

Reply 1 of 8, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Dpends on what type of sound you like.

Do you REALLY want to play guitar? If yes be not afraid to spend a little more. For 300$, you won't be able to pick a guitar and an amp an expect it to sound and play awesome.

Anyway, i have no idea what rocksmith is, what i know is if you want really to love music and really want to play guitar don't be afraid to invest. My first guitar was an Ibanez RG-507 pretty awesome axe. Now i play a Music Man JP6.

Reply 2 of 8, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've heard Rocksmith referred to as "Rosetta Stone: Guitar". I intend on using it to learn how to play guitar. As far as music preferences, I like everything except country. I grew up in the deep south, and have a deep seeded hatred for all things "twangy". I was told that an amp was unnecessary to buy immediately, since the guitar plugs into a USB dongle to connect to the PC. I'm just trying to figure out how much money to save up, and what would be a good guitar for a neophyte like me to use to learn how to play.

Reply 4 of 8, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks! I check those out. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a decent used one at a pawn shop. Like I said, Pecknell Music (only music supply store in town) only carries Michael Kelly branded guitars, and I was kind of wary of those.

Reply 5 of 8, by snorg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I wouldn't even bother with pawn shops, TBH. For what you'd spend at a pawn shop, for a bit more you can get an entry level Ibanez or Fender.

You can skip the amp or get a $50 practice amp. It will get plenty loud to piss off your neighbors, trust me. You don't need much more than that, unless you plan on being a professional musician at some point. It doesn't sound like that's what you're interested in, though. Hope you have fun, I've been meaning to pick up Rocksmith myself at some point.

Reply 6 of 8, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After checking the prices online, I think you're correct. I can get an Epiphone or Ibanez for $300-$400 straight from them. That's comparable to what they were quoting me at the pawn shops, and Pecknel.

Reply 7 of 8, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just find a cheap, functional guitar. No sense spending thousands of dollars on a top of the line guitar unless you plan to become a professional musician. I use a cheap, Japanese copy of a Gibson SG made circa 1975 or so that I picked up on ebay for $100 for Rocksmith. Any cheap electric guitar will work.

Reply 8 of 8, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I went by guitar center, and tried out a bunch of guitars, and ended up with 3 that felt good in my hands, and had jumbo frets as was suggested on a different forum.

1) Les Paul 100 for $270
2) Epiphone SG Special for $180
3) Epiphone Worn Cherry G-400 for $300

I was also advised to use 9-25 strings, since between those and the jumbo frets, they should make it easier for a newbie like me to play. Closest I've ever come to a guitar were the plastic toys that came with Guitar Hero, so I need all the help I can get.

The Ubi reps said the game comes with a built in tuner. Think I should spring the $16 for a Korg turner?

Think these guitars would work well in the game? They felt really good in my hands, after playing with them in the store.

*EDIT*

I'm leaning towards the SG Special, mainly because I can get all the necessary equipment, without impinging on my $600 "get a warthog HOTAS and IR Track 5" fundage. Still undecided if I'm willing to drop yet another $400 on pedals for the sims.