Common searches

Do you guys collect other things?

Topic actions

First post, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was browsing a typewriter forum when it suddenly because of a picture someone posted it turned out we all had very similar collections going. 🤣 So I was wondering what other things besides retro computers and games do you guys collect?

Personally I collect antique books (must be older than 1925), Typewriters, Amber Sandwich glass dishes and plates, and the occasional pre-1950's camera (I have quite a few old 1920's brownies, a 1930's kodak and something called an Instaflash 🤣). This is in addition to my old computers, consoles and video games I own.

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 1 of 66, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I used to, but not anymore. In the past I've collected coins but theres little you can do with old coins except look at them and use them for a fun game of poker 🤣

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 66, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Vintage audio gears and comic books (CBR format).

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 3 of 66, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would not call this a collection, yet I buy up all the soviet technical literature that is related to my speciality. Books were extremely solid back in the 1960s-1980s. Unfortunately, 95% of modern technical books are either ugly reprints or inaccurate compilations of good old stuff.

Btw, at work our floor is under repairs now and I consider mine all that is left to perish in the dust by its owner. I am not allowed to take the books home, yet I have saved so many that we had to steal an extra bookcase for our room 🤣 I love books so much I don't leave behind any, even the ones that duplicate each other or will probably never see use again.

Reply 4 of 66, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm sure a lot of people have noticed the tiny little fox plushie that peers over my computer monitor in most of my videos where I'm sitting in front of the thing... not to mention the massive Fluttershy plushie I spent a year making for myself and showed in my Duke Nukem 3D episode of ADG. XD

While it's a bit embarrassing, plushies happen to be one of my most favourite things. Just like with my games I don't have a huge collection and mostly collect plushies that are either big, or foxes, as foxes are my favourite animals. My biggest plushie is an absolutely enormous black teddy bear with a laying-down length of about 8 1/2 FEET. Typically, I have it sitting up at one end of my bed and its arms, legs and belly make for fuzzy and soft pillows to curl up into at night. I've had it for so long now (about 11 years) that it actually feels really weird when I try to sleep at someone else's place with regular pillows instead.

...granted, the rest of my plushies aren't anywhere near THAT big. That would just be insane. ;D

The typical sizes for my plushies is between 24" and 54", though most of the fox plushies I have are between 12" and 24" because for some reason, they don't really make big fox plushies, though a couple popped up more recently, one of which I already bought, the other, being almost twice as expensive, is on my "to get" list but I'm going to wait until I'm in my own place again and can actually keep my plushies out and about.

For the moment, most of them are boxed up in storage, just like my consoles, console games, and game boxes. The super-ginormous bear, my hand-made Fluttershy, my newest fox and a couple other smaller foxes are all that I have unpacked at the moment, as they weren't boxed with everything else.

...yeah, it may seem childish to still want to have plushies, but then my opinion about "childish" things is that if something was fun or enjoyable as a kid, why is becoming an adult suddenly supposed to make it not fun? Having fun is important! :D

In the future though, I want to have a small collection of pinball machines, now that I've been getting back into that, but pinball machines are VERRRRRRRRRRRY pricy, so that's still a long ways away, but hey, I'm allowed to dream. :)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 6 of 66, by Sutekh94

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gemini000 wrote:

not to mention the massive Fluttershy plushie I spent a year making for myself and showed in my Duke Nukem 3D episode of ADG. 🤣

Heh, I remember seeing that. Made me wish I had a few pony plushies myself. 😜

Anyways... I love to collect vinyl records. Because vinyl records are awesome, especially if you have a good audio setup like I have. I'd say I have about 300 total records in my collection, mainly 70s/80s heavy metal with some other stuff thrown in there for good measure. I also used to collect coins for a while, but that got boring quickly. Not as exciting as old video games or old music on vinyl. 🤣

That one vintage computer enthusiast brony.
My YouTube | My DeviantArt

Reply 7 of 66, by ElectricMonk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I collect Cisco, Juniper, Brocade, and Adtran gear to add to my lab, being an network/telecom guy. I used to have tons of old PCs, but I ended up fixing them up and giving them away. Now I mainly collect software and emulators, books, and manga in CBR format.

If I had the money and space, I'd collect older arcade games and system boards for a game room. Especially tate shmups, and the 4 player games like TMNT, Xmen, simpsons, Ninja Baseball Batman, etc...

Reply 9 of 66, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mostly enough books/magazines to create my own library/study if I had a mansion. 😁

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 13 of 66, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a movie/TV show collection of about 2500+ titles (about 500 VCDs and 2000+ DVDs and some BDs) - about half of them SF. And I have a Lego pile consists of about 180.000 pieces/900+ sets. 🤣

I don't consider myself a "collector" though, I watched almost all of my movies/TV shows and all my Lego are have been played with. In short, nothing "MISB" .

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 14 of 66, by King_Corduroy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gemini000 wrote:
I'm sure a lot of people have noticed the tiny little fox plushie that peers over my computer monitor in most of my videos where […]
Show full quote

I'm sure a lot of people have noticed the tiny little fox plushie that peers over my computer monitor in most of my videos where I'm sitting in front of the thing... not to mention the massive Fluttershy plushie I spent a year making for myself and showed in my Duke Nukem 3D episode of ADG. 🤣

While it's a bit embarrassing, plushies happen to be one of my most favourite things. Just like with my games I don't have a huge collection and mostly collect plushies that are either big, or foxes, as foxes are my favourite animals. My biggest plushie is an absolutely enormous black teddy bear with a laying-down length of about 8 1/2 FEET. Typically, I have it sitting up at one end of my bed and its arms, legs and belly make for fuzzy and soft pillows to curl up into at night. I've had it for so long now (about 11 years) that it actually feels really weird when I try to sleep at someone else's place with regular pillows instead.

...granted, the rest of my plushies aren't anywhere near THAT big. That would just be insane. ;D

The typical sizes for my plushies is between 24" and 54", though most of the fox plushies I have are between 12" and 24" because for some reason, they don't really make big fox plushies, though a couple popped up more recently, one of which I already bought, the other, being almost twice as expensive, is on my "to get" list but I'm going to wait until I'm in my own place again and can actually keep my plushies out and about.

For the moment, most of them are boxed up in storage, just like my consoles, console games, and game boxes. The super-ginormous bear, my hand-made Fluttershy, my newest fox and a couple other smaller foxes are all that I have unpacked at the moment, as they weren't boxed with everything else.

...yeah, it may seem childish to still want to have plushies, but then my opinion about "childish" things is that if something was fun or enjoyable as a kid, why is becoming an adult suddenly supposed to make it not fun? Having fun is important! 😁

In the future though, I want to have a small collection of pinball machines, now that I've been getting back into that, but pinball machines are VERRRRRRRRRRRY pricy, so that's still a long ways away, but hey, I'm allowed to dream. 😀

Lol I also have an obsession with foxes, they are my absolute favorite animal. But I have yet to buy anything to reflect that in my home. Maybe I should get on that. 🤣

Kudos to the record collectors, I too have an extensive library of 33 1/3 records as well as many MANY 78 RPM records. I also have a few Victrola machines and an edison machine (Of course since you have to have the full authentic experience if you are going to collect at all. 😜 ).

Check me out at Transcendental Airwaves on Youtube! Fast-food sucks!

Reply 16 of 66, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I don't really "collect" anything other than PC games, I just like having a selection of games/music/movies I really like on a variety of platforms/devices/etc.

So while I'll probably never have every single Super Famicom game ever produced, I'll have a selection of about 20, all of which I'll actually play.

Big box PC games though? Balls yeah, I'll snap those up any chance I get!

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 17 of 66, by JoeCorrado

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Old maps.... very old maps. I own a small collection of maps dating as far back as the fifteenth century.

I also collect many items relating to the U.S.S. Constitution, an American frigate that is still a commissioned ship in the U.S. Navy and is anchored at Boston.

And of course, my collection of vintage Zippo Lighters... dating from the early 1940's forward.

Recently I have begun collecting grand children, they really do keep you young... but that is another story. 😀

-- Regards, Joe

Expect out of life, that which you put into it.

Reply 18 of 66, by miljo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ElectricMonk wrote:

... Brocade ...

You mean Foundry Networks? ;^)

I also work in telecom. We have a large graveyard for interesting old network gear in my office suite. I'll have to post a picture at some point.

Reply 19 of 66, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I collect cars.

I only have one right now, a 1984 Camry, but I'm looking to expand my collection.

Nah, really, my computers, computer games, and console collection is already too big, so I try to keep the flow of books, movies, and music to a one-in-one-out situation.