Reply 61 of 66, by PeterLI

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Gemini000 wrote:
tayyare wrote:

Anyone here has anything to do with LEGO as a hobby? 🤣

Not as a "hobby" myself, but I still have all of my LEGO from childhood which is actually quite a fair amount; fills a number of small containers and a handful of shoeboxes. I don't often take it out but every once in a blue moon I have the urge to make something out of the stuff. :B

I left my LEGO in the EU and gifted it to my nephew.

Reply 62 of 66, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Sutekh94 wrote:
tayyare wrote:

Does Bionicle count? I still have a lot of my old Bionicles from years and years ago, but I rarely even look at them anymore. 😵

It probably does. But beware, many Purist AFOLs (including partly myself) does not count them as Lego, some even think that they are just blasphemy! 🤣

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 63 of 66, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gemini000 wrote:
tayyare wrote:

Not as a "hobby" myself, but I still have all of my LEGO from childhood which is actually quite a fair amount; fills a number of small containers and a handful of shoeboxes. I don't often take it out but every once in a blue moon I have the urge to make something out of the stuff. :B

In addition to all my childhood lego (about 2000 pieces, 8 sets in total) I also have my adulthood purchases (about 160.000 pieces, 850+ sets) 🤣 I stopped buying about three years ago, though (except for my daughter of course), after purchasing a home and started having less and less disposable income.

You are hardly alone though. There is a huuuuge AFOL (adult fan of Lego) community around the world, well organized and measuring up to tens of thousands of people.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 64 of 66, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have boxes full of Lego Technic too but haven't touched it in years.
When I was 11/12 or so I saved up to buy one of those Mindstorms RIS sets. Took me a LONG time but it was worth it in the end! I remember going to the toy store with one or two bills and a bag full of 10/25ct coins 🤣
Later I got the Cybermaster set and Mindstorms camera too, but these were slightly less interesting. At one point I found modified RCX firmware online which allowed me to write C programs for it. That was my first (and mildly frustrating) encounter with C/GCC/Linux 😀

Reply 65 of 66, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You are probably talking about NQC (Not Quite C) from Dave Baum, one of the prominent figures of RCX sub forums at that time (1999-2000). He even wrote a couple of Mindstorm books, probably still available from amazon.

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader

Reply 66 of 66, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, that was it! I recall making some cool robots with that, and learned quite a bit about both mechanics and programming 😀

edit: or maybe it was LegOS? I'm pretty sure it involved modified firmware and compiling your programs with GCC. NQC doesn't seem to use either? Or maybe I tried both at some point. Both names do sound familiar.