VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

P1020813%20%282%29.JPG
Ever seen these mounting points for Slot1 CPU cooler and wondered what cooler they were for? Well, here's the answer you were looking for:
pd440fx_1.jpg

Reply 1 of 13, by Holering

User metadata

HOLY CRUD! That is the best looking cooling with a fan I have ever seen. Is it even loud?! I honestly thought passive cooling looked cool enough, but this is very impressive. I don't think I've ever been impressed by an active cooling solution as much as this. That is way better than water cooling if you ask me. The lead doesn't even crawl all over the place.

Reply 2 of 13, by PhilsComputerLab

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't like Slot 1 processors because cooling is a pain.

This is my solution. It is a Pentium III 1.1 GHz with a Slot 1 to S370 adapter. The copper cooler is from StarTech.com, a very short copper cooler, quite substantial / heavy and works terrific. I also use a fan controller to lower the rpm.

MNw12uKh.jpg

ZPVdbcPh.jpg

YouTube, Facebook, Website

Reply 4 of 13, by jwt27

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are many other coolers that fit in these holes too. I haven't seen this particular solution before but it looks very noisy with that tiny fan.
I use a silent 120mm fan myself, although Pentium 2&3 can easily survive on passive cooling even with a small heatsink.

Reply 5 of 13, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jwt27 wrote:

There are many other coolers that fit in these holes too. I haven't seen this particular solution before but it looks very noisy with that tiny fan.
I use a silent 120mm fan myself, although Pentium 2&3 can easily survive on passive cooling even with a small heatsink.

Its not noisy given how most 40mm rans run but some of us have owned ones that ran 6k+ rpm. Very good solution but back then it would have been expensive and most system builders did anything thing to shave off even a few cents off their cost. Draft style cooling does wonders when allowing hot air to rise instead of forcing it off in odd directions forming loops and dead zones.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 6 of 13, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Holering, watercooling is superior to it. α between a metal surface and water is way more than α between a metal surface and turbulent airflow.

Phil, great cooler!

nforce4max, it's fairly easy to plug it into 5V line to reduce noise significantly 😀

Anyway, I wish I had one of these. They are very cool 😀

Reply 7 of 13, by Holering

User metadata
RacoonRider wrote:

Holering, watercooling is superior to it. α between a metal surface and water is way more than α between a metal surface and turbulent airflow.

You're probably right. But I find water cooling to be too expensive and inappropriate in a well maintained computer. If I'm overclocking to beat certain scores I might as well use liquid nitrogen or something like that. I think more metal with quiet fans is better.

@ElectricMonk
I honestly wouldn't mind a modern cartridge with multiple CPU wafers spread across with heatpipes and a Hershey bar. Hershey bar is a great term for that slot 1 🤣.

EDIT:
I just thought that water cooling on a hershey bar would be way better than current water coolers 🤣.

Reply 8 of 13, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's cool! Slot 1 is still my favourite although I've only really seen the standard OEM heatsinks or larger OEM style ones, nothing as left field as this!
You could put another fan on the other side and setup push/pull style cooling, probably not really needed but...wait for it... pretty cool 😉

Reply 9 of 13, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those mount points are also for an additional support bracket. This pic is of a retail box P2 setup.

Attachments

• pent202.jpg
    Filename
    pent202.jpg
    File size
    24.72 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 12 of 13, by RacoonRider

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AidanExamineer wrote:

That looks incredible. Mine is clocked too slow to need any sort of fan, but I can just imagine the damage I could do with one of those!

Klamaths are hot... Even at low clock.

Reply 13 of 13, by AidanExamineer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Mine is a Deschuttes, but all of my Slot 1 boards have those mounting points. The manual just says you MUST (!!!) use a support bracket under the heatsink. Well I don't have one, so too bad.