Common searches

Windows 10 Technical Preview

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 84, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
98SE also doesn't have the same stability as 2k and when DOS games aren't an issue, then neither is ME. […]
Show full quote
nemail wrote:
you don't have the stability of win2000 and you're also missing the flexibility of win98se in terms of dos gaming. there are dri […]
Show full quote

you don't have the stability of win2000 and you're also missing the flexibility of win98se in terms of dos gaming.
there are driver incompatibilites regarding devices for win95/98/98se and it was quite buggy (beta phase was very short).
it was a beauty admittedly, like vista was 😀

edit: might be something for my P3-1000 build with voodoo 5 5500. that machine isn't intended for dos gaming anyway, but I don't know how voodoo/games compatibility looks like...

98SE also doesn't have the same stability as 2k and when DOS games aren't an issue, then neither is ME.

Yes, a P3-1000 is perfectly fine with ME. I actually prefer it on any system that has like 128MB of RAM and a reasonable CPU. It needs to be tweaked (you need to spend some time on it after installation), but the same thing can be said about 98SE.

On this forum the majority prefer 98SE because of it's better compatibility with DOS (no argument there 😀 ) but that doesn't mean ME should be outright dead. I'm glad it came to existence despite it's flaws as it does has advantages over 98SE (that's why there is a community patch to include some ME features into 98SE, it's on msfn.org I think)

yeah ok you're right 😀 IF the machine is not for dos games 😁

Reply 42 of 84, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Qbix wrote:

Try to stay on topic people

My apologies, will do 😀

On topic: I don't think I'm going to bother with the preview of 10 (and why not 9 🤣 ), I don't even have a spare rig to try it on and I'm definitely not gonna sacrifice one of my faster rigs for it 😀
Lets see if they bring the startbutton back in the release, then I'll consider it but for now 7 works perfectly fine for me 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 43 of 84, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
My apologies, will do :) […]
Show full quote
Qbix wrote:

My apologies, will do 😀

On topic: I don't think I'm going to bother with the preview of 10 (and why not 9 🤣 ), I don't even have a spare rig to try it on and I'm definitely not gonna sacrifice one of my faster rigs for it 😀
Lets see if they bring the startbutton back in the release, then I'll consider it but for now 7 works perfectly fine for me 😀

wow that hurts (sorry)

- the start button is back since 8.1 (even if its not opening a classic start menu)
- it is 100% sure that the button stays and the "classic" start menu comes back (a bit altered though)
- why not try it in a virtual machine? windows 8 hat hyper-v integrated... oh sorry 😁

Reply 44 of 84, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nemail wrote:
wow that hurts (sorry) […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:
My apologies, will do :) […]
Show full quote
Qbix wrote:

My apologies, will do 😀

wow that hurts (sorry)

- the start button is back since 8.1 (even if its not opening a classic start menu)
- it is 100% sure that the button stays and the "classic" start menu comes back (a bit altered though)
- why not try it in a virtual machine? windows 8 hat hyper-v integrated... oh sorry 😁

I'm not sure what you meant with the "oh sorry" bit, but trying out Windows 10 in a virtual PC isn't actually a bad suggestion 😀
Might give that a try if I can find the time 😀

Report spammers here!

Reply 45 of 84, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:
nemail wrote:
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:

My apologies, will do 😀

wow that hurts (sorry)

I'm not sure what you meant with the "oh sorry" bit, but trying out Windows 10 in a virtual PC isn't actually a bad suggestion 😀

i was just joking cause you obviously aren't using win8(.1) so you're lacking of the os-integrated free enterprise-class hypervisor 😀

Reply 46 of 84, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nemail wrote:
Yasashii wrote:

So... is the dwm.exe problem fixed?

what dwm.exe problem?

On Windows 7 dwm.exe adjusted itself according to the application. On Windows 8 and 8.1 it does not. As a result you will often get poor performance when playing old games and even some new ones due to the incompatibility of the video mode or something or other. The bottom line is that it made Win 8 useless as a gaming system.

Since Microsoft clearly wants us to think of Windows 10 as Windows 7 2.0, I'm hoping they fixed that issue. I was wondering if anyone can confirm that since the preview is available. Currently I don't have anything to test it on myself.

Reply 47 of 84, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Yasashii wrote:

On Windows 7 dwm.exe adjusted itself according to the application. On Windows 8 and 8.1 it does not. As a result you will often get poor performance when playing old games and even some new ones due to the incompatibility of the video mode or something or other. The bottom line is that it made Win 8 useless as a gaming system.

do you have some examples on that? I've never heard of this problem and I'm using windows 8 since it was available for partners.

Reply 49 of 84, by nemail

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Yasashii wrote:

Sure. Try Re-Volt on Windows 8, for instance.

i tried it and besides that I'm too stupid for that game, it runs perfectly at about 200fps 😜
maybe because its patched? i've downloaded it here (first google result): http://www.revoltrace.net/downloads.php because i never owned it...

Reply 50 of 84, by Yasashii

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I don't know what kind of a machine you were running it on but on my ancient (by today's terms) computer it ran perfectly smooth on Windows 7 and stuttered like crazy on Windows 8.

Or maybe Microsoft fixed the dwm.exe problem in an update, I don't know, I haven't been following the news on that lately.

Reply 51 of 84, by Stiletto

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

Dammit, what the heck is wrong with this forum?

Fixed your post. The URL auto-parsing feature stopped parsing on the closed parenthesis. I guess you could call that a bug? When you have a problem with URL parsing next time, try editing your post, highlight/select your entered URL and click the "URL" button to enclose it in URL BBCode.

"I see a little silhouette-o of a man, Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you
do the Fandango!" - Queen

Stiletto

Reply 52 of 84, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
nemail wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
nemail wrote:
Show full quote

wow that hurts (sorry)

i was just joking cause you obviously aren't using win8(.1) so you're lacking of the os-integrated free enterprise-class hypervisor 😀

Whats an os-integrated free enterprise-class hypervisor anyway? Sorry, not native English here 😜
I thought it was obvious I wanted a non-crippled start button (I use the start button all the time). Like I said, I haven't given anything past Windows 7 any other though as currently I have no reason to upgrade to a newer one (read: possible worse at using/doing old stuff) and Windows 8 never really appealed to me in the first place. Perhaps 10 will be different.

If they bring back a start button I can work with, I might consider getting 10 when I get myself a new rig. My current one is already nearing 5 years old, though it still does everything I want it to do.

Report spammers here!

Reply 53 of 84, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:

Anyway, if you can figure out a way to follow the link you'll see that all versions of Windows from Vista to 8.1 all start with 6. Vista is 6.0, 7 is 6.1, 8 is 6.2 and 8.1 is 6.3. Win 2K based OS's include Win2K, XP and Server 2003 which all start with 5.

I guess for narrow interpretations of the word "based". You can't "just patch" from Server 2000 to Server 2003, they're far too different.

To say Win7 is "just a patch" of Vista is completely glossing over the huge internal changes between the two.

To juxtapose, the changes from Linux kernel 2.6.39 to 3.0 is... nearly nothing. Version numbers are plucked from the air to a large degree, regardless of where you look.

As for the new Windows, I've installed it in Parallels and it seems fine. The new Start menu is...there...I guess. I've always (since Vista) just hit the Windows key and started typing stuff, so there's been zero functional change across Vista, 7, 8, 8.1.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 54 of 84, by mirh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DonutKing wrote:

I heard they skipped windows 9 because there are a lot of old programs out there that just check the version string for 'Windows 9' and assume its either 95 or 98.

Eplained further here:
https://www.reddit.com/r/geek/comments/2i0g19 … windows_10_and/

I thought programs checked CurrentVersion.. nothing so weird and human like ProductName...
Otherwise Windows 7 Home Premium would be treated differently from Enterprise or Ultimate

pcgamingwiki.com

Reply 55 of 84, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Let me try Windows 10, 11, or 12 after my Windows 7's life cycle expires. (uhmmm....that will be 2020?)

I might be interested in a Windows 10-based tablet sooner, if I'm planning to get a new tablet, though.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 56 of 84, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/14/10/05/122220 … ludes-keylogger

...Ouch. Might wanna take a look if you've been using the preview.

[ WEB ] - [ BLOG ] - [ TUBE ] - [ CODE ]

Reply 58 of 84, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's pretty much fully disclosed when you set it up.

Forget about keystroke logging, all sorts of data about the machine's state is sent back to MS, and they're frank and honest about it not just when you download it, but again while you're installing it.

If you're silly enough to click through all that, then do your banking on a Technical Preview OS, you deserve to get ripped off.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 59 of 84, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was hoping all that collection fear would deter 'brag testers' (those who flaunt their personalized desktop screenshots of an unreleased OS for a superiority complex, instead of.... you know, testing and evaluating)

From where i've seen, it didn't.

apsosig.png
long live PCem